REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 05-19-2009, 12:14 PM   #26
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

hmmm, this is new to me. I only slow down to speed limit when I see an emergency vehicle parked on the side.
Advertisement

How I wish I can remain ignorant, why do I know so much?
q0192837465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 03:10 PM   #27
racing & tech mod.

I think the rule should not be limited to police/emergency personell, but rather ANYONE standing or working by the side of a road.

If you're about to drive by someone within 2 meters, you should slow the hell down. Doesn't matter WHO it is.

Secondly, I think police/medic/fire/construction workers need to take responsibility as well and NOT work by the road unless they can park their vehicle or erect a blockade/stantion to protect themselves to some extent.

Not to mention, spending as little time as neccessary while there. Pulling someone over for a burnt out tail light, and then spending 15 minutes doing a background check on the side of the highway while traffic backs up and rubber necks, is not acceptable (IMHO)
Rich Sandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 05:57 PM   #28
SardaukarMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Sandor View Post
I think the rule should not be limited to police/emergency personell, but rather ANYONE standing or working by the side of a road.

If you're about to drive by someone within 2 meters, you should slow the hell down. Doesn't matter WHO it is.

Secondly, I think police/medic/fire/construction workers need to take responsibility as well and NOT work by the road unless they can park their vehicle or erect a blockade/stantion to protect themselves to some extent.

Not to mention, spending as little time as neccessary while there. Pulling someone over for a burnt out tail light, and then spending 15 minutes doing a background check on the side of the highway while traffic backs up and rubber necks, is not acceptable (IMHO)
totally agree. i don't understand why some drivers can't put themselves in other people's shoes. if YOU were working on the side of the road, wouldn't you want other people to slow down? again, it's just uncommon sense.

As for emergency personnel working at the side of the road (say the police), they do park their vehicle slightly offset behind the vehicle they've stopped (behind the vehicle but closer to traffic) to provide a safer place for them to stand and talk to the driver in question. They should, anyway.

However, sometimes it's the burnt out taillights that get the crooks nabbed. A quick chat with the driver can pique the officer's curiosity about the driver. A check on the computer can come up with outstanding warrants, etc. It's a necessary part of police work unfortunately, rubberneckers and all. Greater good and all that, right?
2002 Volkswagen GTI 337 in Reflex Silver (SOLD)
2007 Suzuki SV650N in Oort Grey (SOLD)
seakrait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 06:26 PM   #29
racing & tech mod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seakrait View Post
As for emergency personnel working at the side of the road (say the police), they do park their vehicle slightly offset behind the vehicle they've stopped (behind the vehicle but closer to traffic) to provide a safer place for them to stand and talk to the driver in question. They should, anyway.
I think it's a fairly recent innovation (recent 10 years) that cops do that, and to this day there are still cops that don't always do it when they could or should. (just saw a vpd member not doing it last week)

Quote:
However, sometimes it's the burnt out taillights that get the crooks nabbed. A quick chat with the driver can pique the officer's curiosity about the driver. A check on the computer can come up with outstanding warrants, etc. It's a necessary part of police work unfortunately, rubberneckers and all. Greater good and all that, right?
Actually, you're right, it is for the greater good and something that is worthwhile - but my gripe is specifically about where cops choose to conduct the process. It doesn't have to be done in such a place where traffic gets crippled or blocked.

Last edited by Rich Sandor; 05-19-2009 at 08:29 PM.
Rich Sandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 11:36 PM   #30
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

this is just common sense. but i still see so many people freeze when they hear sirens and stop in the middle of the road and people zooming by emergency vehicles pulled over. I hope the cops have some courtesy and make an effort to pull people down a side street where possible
Old 05-20-2009, 03:34 PM   #31
This title intentionally left blank MOD

Common sense. But what of all the speed traps that pull you over from the far left lane.

I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem.
Alatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 09:25 AM   #32
How I Mod your mother

Quote:
sounds fine to me as long as there's also a fine for cops who stop in places where they don't absolutely HAVE to.
Agreed, one time I saw 2 cop cars just sitting SIDE BY SIDE and chatting on a small residential street, forcing traffic to bottleneck around them.

Traffic going BOTH WAYS, how ridiculous is that?
[19-07, 16:52] bloodmack: EB did u change my avatar and title?
Quote:
[19-07, 16:54] El Bastardo: bm i have no idea what you're talking about because i don't speak gorilla
!Yaminashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:18 AM   #33
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
My understanding is that in Alberta & other provinces, the fine is based on the speed you are doing when you didn't slow down. HUGE fines in the multi-hundreds of dollars...here it's just like a basic speeding ticket.

As one who has had to jump out of the way of speeding vehicles many times, I welcome this new law. Just wished the fine was higher. 2 of the guys I worked with were hit by idiot drivers ( they both lived) and several others had to bail at the last moment. Truckers used to see how close they could get so that the vacuum would suck your hat off.
Regina police department bought 4 mitsubishi pajero's as highway cruisers just because they're RHD, safer for exiting the vehicle on a busy highway. just sayin'...
BNR32_Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:22 AM   #34
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Doesn't it make sense to do this anyway? I know I always slow down when I pass a pulled over police car or ambulance. I don't want to run over some poor cop or paramedic.
I slow down just to take a look at what happened

although slowing down to take a look is safer for the emergency crews, it causes a lot of traffic especially during rush hour. oh well, better to not kill our own hero's than to get home on time
Old 05-21-2009, 10:29 AM   #35
Blood tests positive for LOL mod

Thanked 1,263 Times in 325 Posts
Why make this a law, people slow down regardless to see what's going on anyway. I FUCKING HATE THAT!!

artofstance
Buy/Sell Rating
Proud member of G.R.A.P.E -- Great Revscene Action Photography Enthusiasts
Mananetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 11:31 AM   #36
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mananetwork View Post
Why make this a law, people slow down regardless to see what's going on anyway. I FUCKING HATE THAT!!
Not me though. I speed up to make up for people that slow down
Old 05-21-2009, 11:43 AM   #37
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancini View Post
It's already the law in other provinces and it's simple common sense here.

This is a good thing!
The law in Ontario is you have to switch lanes to give an entire lane if you can, ie pulled over on right hand shoulder, must change into left lane.

The cops would exploit this by doing "checks" where they would randomly pull over quickly and turn on the lights for NO REASON, if you didn't quickly change lanes you got a ticket. I witnessed it on the highway, not fair at all, grabbed the car behind me that didn't get over in time.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 11:46 AM   #38
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by !SG View Post
the biggest problem is when traffic happens.

you ever try to pull over on broadway during rush hour when you see emergency vehicles coming east AND west? its impossible, and then there are those that freak out at the sound and sight of an ambulance, cop, firetruck and all they do is freeze right in the middle of the road.

fix the congestion to give some room so you CAN even pull over.
Congestion will only be fixed when Vancouver decides to copy Boston's big dig.

They've tried for years to get a highway through Vancouver, and now good luck with the sky-high property values, no-one wants that in their backyard.

Hell the broadway merchants are against a sky-train line, I understand the problems with cambie, yet more transit is needed and digging a tunnel is stupid expensive.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 12:33 PM   #39
Blood tests positive for LOL mod

Thanked 1,263 Times in 325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNR32_Coupe View Post
Not me though. I speed up to make up for people that slow down
That makes no sense.

Here's an example, guy in front slows down, you slow down.
You finally get the chance to speed up, but the guy two cars down from you slows down to look at the accident/problem thorough. You have no control over the situation.

artofstance
Buy/Sell Rating
Proud member of G.R.A.P.E -- Great Revscene Action Photography Enthusiasts
Mananetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 12:37 PM   #40
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,420 Times in 669 Posts
it makes sense to impose this law. plus 40 is not that slowwwwwww. im for it!
shenmecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 08:58 PM   #41
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSmokeShow View Post
you'd be surprised how many people carelessly whip by, but yes then you get rubber necks that have to see what is going on... if i'm stuck on traffic control i'm either waving people to slow the hell down that are still above the posted limit or to get them moving more than 20kms/hr so there isn't more to deal with.
you can never stop the rubbernecks from looking and seeing whats going on. I find when i'm ever stuck on traffic control its usually getting people to get moving and stop looking before they cause another accident.

1988 Honda Accord Ex-i : Sold
1994 Honda Accord Ex-r : Sold
2002 Mazda Protege5 : Sold
2013 Hyundai Elantra : Sold
2014 Kia Forte Koup : Sold
2017 Kia Sorrento 2.4L : Current
Hondasport19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 02:05 AM   #42
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,109 Times in 299 Posts
It makes total sense. However, I often see idiotic Hongers and Mainlanders with an "N" sign in Richmond driving in their 335i and C350 not giving a shit about emergency vehicles and personnels. They just fuckin' speed past cop cars, thinking theres an invisible wall between lanes so the cops won't step into their lane.
124Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 08:55 AM   #43
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenmecar View Post
it makes sense to impose this law. plus 40 is not that slowwwwwww. im for it!
follow rules?
Old 05-22-2009, 09:19 AM   #44
$_$
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
sounds fine to me as long as there's also a fine for cops who stop in places where they don't absolutely HAVE to.

yeh , why dont cops get fined for parking stupidly when they pull over people in the middle of the road ? they love to park sideways so i have to swerve out of my way just not to hit them.
$_$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 02:07 AM   #45
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,109 Times in 299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.H.C View Post
yeh , why dont cops get fined for parking stupidly when they pull over people in the middle of the road ? they love to park sideways so i have to swerve out of my way just not to hit them.
+1

I've been in a situation where the traffic on a 2-lane street is unnecessarily forced to merge into 1 when a cop pulls over a car and parks in the middle of the right lane, which clearly have enough room for a parallel-parked car and ongoing traffic to pass through.
124Y is offline   Reply With Quote