REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics

Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Silicon Valley.
Tips & tricks, tech support, home theatre, online gaming, reviews, latest news...

Old 05-19-2009, 09:42 AM   #1
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Wireless help[

My floor is made of marble granite stones. Therefore, it blocks my 54wireless G router signal to the basement.

If moving the wireless router is not an option, how can I get internet to basement?

Can I transmit internet through AC plugs? I need something quick.
Advertisement
Old 05-19-2009, 09:49 AM   #2
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
Yes, you can use the power lines.

In fact, the technology is called Powerline...

http://www.ncix.com/search/?categoryid=0&q=powerline
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 10:03 AM   #3

powerline will be slower ? comparing to normal wireless G router or wired ethernet card
Old 05-19-2009, 10:06 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisibleSoul View Post
Yes, you can use the power lines.

In fact, the technology is called Powerline...

http://www.ncix.com/search/?categoryid=0&q=powerline
ok, here is what i think. This is a walk thru of how i will be setting up internet signals. Please correct me if i am wrong at any stage. the arrows shows direction of signal traveling

upstairs : shaw motorola box ---> wireless G router---> powerline adaptor (upstairs)-----> powerline adaptor (basement)-----> new wireless G router-------> successful internet connection for basement area?
Old 05-19-2009, 10:44 AM   #5
The RS Freebie guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasabisashimi View Post
upstairs : shaw motorola box ---> wireless G router---> powerline adaptor (upstairs)-----> powerline adaptor (basement)-----> new wireless G router-------> successful internet connection for basement area?
Yep, you got the idea.

Just make sure for the basement, connect the network cable from the powerline adaptor to one of the switch ports on the new wireless G router, not the WAN port.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:59 AM   #6
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,824 Times in 3,904 Posts
what kinda router do you have?

im using an old G router and i can still get full signal from 2nd floor (and my router is in the basement..granite floors as well)
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 12:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Yep, you got the idea.

Just make sure for the basement, connect the network cable from the powerline adaptor to one of the switch ports on the new wireless G router, not the WAN port.
really?, how does that work?, I thought the WAN port receives the main signal first, and the switch ports create network signal for it after.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
what kinda router do you have?

im using an old G router and i can still get full signal from 2nd floor (and my router is in the basement..granite floors as well)
my linksys G router doenst give me any signal at all. Its the older ones with blue and black body and 2 antenna behind it.

W54G
Old 05-19-2009, 01:06 PM   #9
Rs has made me the man i am today!

time to upgrade to a N router
fsy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 02:24 PM   #10
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,171 Times in 1,552 Posts
Quote:
my linksys G router doenst give me any signal at all. Its the older ones with blue and black body and 2 antenna behind it.
How strong is the signal if you're right next to the router?
Old 05-19-2009, 05:01 PM   #11

i get a full bar when i am in the room where the router is. But once i move down to basement, it gets to 3 bar, on the stairs, and zero at the basement suite
Old 05-19-2009, 07:30 PM   #12
degenerate extraordinaire

sorry to hijack, but how much stronger are the signals for the newer routers? I'm not even talking about wireless N technology, even the newer versions of the WRT54G's (I'm using version 2, I'm oldschool).

I've read the other threads and I know people highly recommend the DIR-655
He would step out of his freshly downtown autospa detailed 996 C4s, check out his own reflection in the driverside window out of habit, take off his brand new limited edition D&G aviator sunglasses so the mf can see the fury in his eyes, sashay over to the other guy and then threaten to insert his black leather Savatore Ferragamo loafers into the guys rear-end.
Ikkaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:42 PM   #13
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
you guys must be baliln to live in a house with marble flooring. therefore just go buy a new router

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 09:39 PM   #14
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,379 Times in 478 Posts
wired net is the way to go lol
i would just cheap out and drill a hole send a cat 5 down there

but like tiger said marble flooring = ballin so i guess go buy powerline
lilaznviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 10:18 PM   #15
HELP ME PLS!!!

the DIR 655 I have at work goes through solid steel walls and floors....

the power line setup would just be hokey. so is trying to use 2 routers.
johny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 12:55 AM   #16
Cool beans bro

Thanked 1,054 Times in 231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikkaku View Post
sorry to hijack, but how much stronger are the signals for the newer routers? I'm not even talking about wireless N technology, even the newer versions of the WRT54G's (I'm using version 2, I'm oldschool).

I've read the other threads and I know people highly recommend the DIR-655
If you dont wanna go with N at the moment. Flash your router DD-WRT or Tomato and up the antennae strength. I just picked up a GL at the NCIX sale and did this. I got a stronger reception on my laptop compared to my G Dlink.
JordanLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 01:57 AM   #17
The RS Freebie guru

Quote:
really?, how does that work?, I thought the WAN port receives the main signal first, and the switch ports create network signal for it after.
No... that's not quite how it works. WAN stands for Wide Area Network, so basically the port that connects to the Internet. It does NATing so that all machines behind the router shares one external connection.

But if you're connecting a second router to the primary router, you don't need NAT, and it's just a LAN connection... so your second router is basically just acting as a switch plus an access point.

It's a common mistake... that's why I specifically mentioned it.
Old 05-20-2009, 12:34 PM   #18
degenerate extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanLee View Post
If you dont wanna go with N at the moment. Flash your router DD-WRT or Tomato and up the antennae strength. I just picked up a GL at the NCIX sale and did this. I got a stronger reception on my laptop compared to my G Dlink.
sounds good, because I was wondering if the newer G's have better range... DD-WRT wasn't available for mine so I didn't think Tomato would have one for either, but I just checked and they even support version 1! Thanks a lot
He would step out of his freshly downtown autospa detailed 996 C4s, check out his own reflection in the driverside window out of habit, take off his brand new limited edition D&G aviator sunglasses so the mf can see the fury in his eyes, sashay over to the other guy and then threaten to insert his black leather Savatore Ferragamo loafers into the guys rear-end.
Ikkaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 03:19 PM   #19
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,379 Times in 478 Posts
Quote:
No... that's not quite how it works. WAN stands for Wide Area Network, so basically the port that connects to the Internet. It does NATing so that all machines behind the router shares one external connection.

But if you're connecting a second router to the primary router, you don't need NAT, and it's just a LAN connection... so your second router is basically just acting as a switch plus an access point.

It's a common mistake... that's why I specifically mentioned it.
really now.... wierd how i have my connections connected to the WAN for my second router and everything still works lol
lilaznviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 05:39 PM   #20
The RS Freebie guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilaznviper View Post
really now.... wierd how i have my connections connected to the WAN for my second router and everything still works lol
On the routers flashed with third party firmware, you can reassign the WAN port as a regular LAN port... but if that's not what you did, then it really shouldn't all automatically work. You can configure it to work, but it shouldn't be plug and play like the way I outlined above. Devices behind the two routers should have to be on different subnets...
Old 05-20-2009, 06:13 PM   #21
Zombie Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilaznviper View Post
It works, but you'll run into some snags if you try to map a port to something connected on the second router. You basically have 2 networks now.

You should configure your 2nd router so it's like a switch. You'll need to disable client DHCP, since your 1st router will handle that. You'll probably have to give the 2nd router a different IP address, as well.

The easier way is to get yourself a switch. You can get one for less than $20.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:38 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Presto View Post
It works, but you'll run into some snags if you try to map a port to something connected on the second router. You basically have 2 networks now.

You should configure your 2nd router so it's like a switch. You'll need to disable client DHCP, since your 1st router will handle that. You'll probably have to give the 2nd router a different IP address, as well.

do they make wireless switch?
Old 05-21-2009, 10:41 AM   #23
The RS Freebie guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Presto View Post

You don't really have to "configure" the 2nd router so it's like a switch... because it IS already a switch.

I mean, all of these home wireless routers that you buy are a router, switch, and wireless access point all in one unit.

If you only use the switch ports and not the WAN port, then you effectively have a switch. Nothing needs to be configured. The only configuration you really need to do on the 2nd router is configure it as a wireless point.

As a switch, I don't even need to disable DHCP on the 2nd router if you don't plug anything into the WAN port.

However, because it's a wireless access point, I think DHCP needs to be disabled and instead forwarded to the 1st router.

But actually, perhaps I misunderstood his requirements... if all he needs is Internet in the basement, not necessarily wifi down there, then yes... he could just use a simple switch and use a wired connection.
Old 05-21-2009, 12:07 PM   #24

i needed to create a wireless zone in the basement. Thats why i am asking if there is a wireless switch. (in case its cheaper than the all-in-one wireless router/switch.
Old 05-21-2009, 01:32 PM   #25
Zombie Mod

Quote:
As a switch, I don't even need to disable DHCP on the 2nd router if you don't plug anything into the WAN port.

Well, you should disable client DHCP. Leave the internet on DHCP, or whatever. 2 DHCP servers on the same network could possibly cause conflicts.