REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Automotive Detailing & Car Care Tech

Automotive Detailing & Car Care Tech THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Discussion on how to keep your car shining bright and make them heads turn..

Old 05-19-2009, 04:21 PM   #1
I am Hook'd on RS

Scuff/Scratch Removal

Hey, So I just pulled my car outta the garage and insured it and I noticed a Long White scuff/scratch and was wondering what I could do to fix it? It really stands out and is bugging the hell out of me....

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n...f/IMG_0456.jpg

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n...f/IMG_0457.jpg
Advertisement
matt_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 05:42 PM   #2
How I Mod your mother

From the looks of it, its not too deep?
Run your nail over it and see if it catches
[19-07, 16:52] bloodmack: EB did u change my avatar and title?
Quote:
[19-07, 16:54] El Bastardo: bm i have no idea what you're talking about because i don't speak gorilla
!Yaminashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 06:31 PM   #3
Need to Seek Professional Help

The first pic doesn't look too bad but the second one looks nasty. As Draft said, can you catch your fingernail in it?
911fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 06:44 PM   #4
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Ouch! looks pretty bad, if its not too deep try using the scratch doctor
postcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 10:45 AM   #5
I am Hook'd on RS

So I ran my finger nail across the mark and you can feel it there but it doesn't feel that deep not really sure though. So you would recommend some scratch doctor? Any brand in particular?

Thanks
Matt
Old 05-26-2009, 11:48 PM   #6
I am Hook'd on RS

Any Ideas on this one? It feels deep, don't think the scratch doctor will work?

Matt
Old 05-27-2009, 01:14 AM   #7
My homepage has been set to RS

best bet right now, without wet sand or getting it repaint, is too clean that area off and polish it with our most aggressive pad and polish, if you have one.
Jackygor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 08:47 AM   #8
How I Mod your mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackygor View Post
best bet right now, without wet sand or getting it repaint, is too clean that area off and polish it with our most aggressive pad and polish, if you have one.
I'd have to agree. By just looking at the pictures I'd say an aggressive pad + polish combo should get rid of it completely, or at least most of it
[19-07, 16:52] bloodmack: EB did u change my avatar and title?
Quote:
[19-07, 16:54] El Bastardo: bm i have no idea what you're talking about because i don't speak gorilla
!Yaminashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 10:58 AM   #9
I am Hook'd on RS

Now I'm new to polishing and all that, so what do you mean by a Aggressive pad?
Old 05-27-2009, 02:18 PM   #10
I subscribe to the Revscene NWS thread(s)

An aggressive pad is just a polishing pad (usually used with a buffer) that has a bit more cutting power. An analogy would be like sandpaper. You can get different types of sandpaper depending on grit. Some take off more wood and some take off less.

An aggressive one is just one that is a bit rougher. You'll need something like that to clear off the scratch, then probably a less aggressive pad to finish it off and get rid of some of the fine marring that the aggressive pad may have left.

I can't really tell from the pictures, but it looks like it could possible paint transfer (from some white object that rubbed against your car). Do the fingernail test like others have mentioned. If it catches, then it's a scratch (and a fairly deep one at that). If you can scratch off the white stuff, then it's probably paint transfer. Either way, you can either buff it out if you have a buffer, or perhaps use a rubbing compound or scratchX or a similar product if you don't have a buffer.
syee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 10:26 PM   #11
I am Hook'd on RS

At first I thought it was paint transfer but I think it was when either I or my parents were shoveling the driveway this winter, the shovel hit and slid down the side of the car, Not really sure though, but it is defiantly a scratch. If you run your finger nail through it you can feel it catch.

I'll take another look tomorrow and actually try to rub off the mark and see what happens and if nothing happens then I think I'll grab some of that Nu Finish Scratch Doctor and give that a whirl.

Thanks
Matt
Old 06-02-2009, 07:14 PM   #12
I am Hook'd on RS

Well after one or two Coats of the Mothers Scratch Fix and a quick coat of Black Magic Wax the scratch is almost un-seen. Both products were applied in most likely to much heat and also both done by hand but I am very happy with the results. You are able to see a small part of the scratch but only at very low angles. Thanks for your help guys. Here are some "After Pics"

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n...atchAfter3.jpg
http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n...atchAfter1.jpg
http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n...atchAfter2.jpg