REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 05-20-2009, 11:09 PM   #51
Certified Troll: Access Removed

even if u managed to cram a Beng into 2 years, how are you a certified engineer at age 19? It takes another 4 years to be certified after your degree.
Advertisement
impactY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 11:12 PM   #52
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

To me the lotus stands out the most of all 3 cars. I'd wait for the prices to come down on the gallardo's and def get an 06+. Not a fan of the audi at all.
Death2Theft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 11:14 PM   #53
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

I don't have a degree. I find them a waste of time. I have my Diploma of Technology, as well as my Third Class Engineer Certification.
08 elise
x_macbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 11:16 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death2Theft View Post
To me the lotus stands out the most of all 3 cars. I'd wait for the prices to come down on the gallardo's and def get an 06+. Not a fan of the audi at all.
Enough about me. Car forum for a reason
Back on topic, I agree that the Lotus stands out the most. Half the people out there haven't even heard of them. Not to say that the R8 and Gallardo wouldn't stand out..
08 elise
Old 05-20-2009, 11:20 PM   #55
My homepage has been set to RS

realistically, you are better off going to those separate car forums and ask for advice, we all know rs is mostly consists of poor university students who can barely afford gas. I wouldn't go with a used Gallardo, unless you can afford it new, but if your ultimate goal is get attention, then by all means, not saying that gallardo isn't an amazing machine. I personally would get an Elise and customize it to my hearts content
Jackygor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 11:22 PM   #56

I'm on several other forums. I know what you mean by most members here, but there are the select few who know their stuff.

(Jah Al, where are you? )
08 elise
Old 05-21-2009, 10:20 AM   #57
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

Personally, I'd get a used Diablo Roadster

Last edited by !LittleDragon; 05-21-2009 at 10:31 AM.
!LittleDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:25 AM   #58
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,874 Times in 604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
Oh I know, I bought a hot car (within reason compared to my salary then) when I was 23yo.

Good for the OP if he can afford these cars, I want an Elise yet cannot bring myself to wasting that much on a car again.
you sound like a very rationale guy, but live a little man.....if you want a Elise, buy a used Elise, life is too short to fulfil your passions.....why don't you find other ways to make side money and blow it on cars? best of both worlds.....what are you going to buy when you are 60yrs old and have lots of money?
86 944 Turbo with 340rwhp Lindsay Racing kit
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
Z3guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:44 AM   #59
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb View Post
I say stick with the 08 Civic. If you need to come to an online message board to ask for an opinion such as this, you're probably not bright enough to keep that new found wealth.
hahahahahahaha

OUCH!
Chairman Kaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:55 AM   #60
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3guy View Post
you sound like a very rationale guy, but live a little man.....if you want a Elise, buy a used Elise, life is too short to fulfil your passions.....why don't you find other ways to make side money and blow it on cars? best of both worlds.....what are you going to buy when you are 60yrs old and have lots of money?
I'm not waiting till 60, I replaced driving a nice car with traveling, eating great food, shows, concerts, ... basically I rarely turn down an opportunity to do something.

I was 25 and watching my friends cheap out on life to save to buy a house, to buy furniture for the new house, to buy a car, to buy car mods, ... I had a house and a car, and decided that the experience of sitting in both wore off quickly. The experiences I've had traveling, at shows, at some of the best restaurants, ... will never wear off.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:59 AM   #61
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by x_macbeth View Post
I don't have a degree. I find them a waste of time. I have my Diploma of Technology, as well as my Third Class Engineer Certification.
The degree is a waste of time, I completely agree. I could have done my 4 year engineering degree in 2 years. Yet its a required waste of time, I couldn't have gotten a job as easily without the ring.

Plus joining a Fraternity and having a crazy social life for 4 years was great, wouldn't trade it for anything.

That said, please don't call yourself an engineer. Those college/certificate programs are not recognized by the professional engineering associations, and you do not have the ring.
Old 05-21-2009, 11:03 AM   #62
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
I just can't keep away from the Lotus. They're magical.
I've always wanted one, looking forward to the Europa being imported here, its got more creature comforts than the Elise sacrificing a bit of weight.
Old 05-21-2009, 11:26 AM   #63
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Quote:

That said, please don't call yourself an engineer. Those college/certificate programs are not recognized by the professional engineering associations, and you do not have the ring.
I agree... I also have my P.Eng Tickets..took me a few years through an advanced learners program....you cannot call yourself an certified power engineer until you have your first-class ticket....started when i was 18...and the youngest first class tech is a friend of mine, and he was 29 yrs old when he got his 1st class ticket....he now runs ubc's boiler facility.

Quote:
how do you manage a 3rd at the age of 19? getting your fourth and getting the hours is a long process....unless you put madd amounts hours at a large facility, started working when you were 16yrs old..... i find that your talk is cheap.... i am curious as to where x-macbeth is working....
I have my tickets, im 24yrs...and currently working my hours for my 2nd class...i doubt have your third.

you might have the theory, but I HIGHLY doubt you have any experience.
"Just because any car nut can tell you every possible performance specification of a Ferrari doesn't mean he can drive. Most of these people live in places where they've never even seen a Ferrari, much less ever owned one themselves."
Supafly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 11:32 AM   #64
I subscribe to Revscene

i have a 4th and im the process to get my 3rd.. but im damn lazy to study.. still how the hell do you make that kinda money with a 3rd lol.. i make okay wages with my 4th.. no wear near baller status.. p.eng crew holla!
DC5-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 11:36 AM   #65
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC5-S View Post
i have a 4th and im the process to get my 3rd.. but im damn lazy to study.. still how the hell do you make that kinda money with a 3rd lol.. i make okay wages with my 4th.. no wear near baller status.. p.eng crew holla!
dude, i can honestly say, the 3rd written test is uber hard as hell....i failed it 1x... passed with a 66% on the second try...good instructers, bad learning habits....you MUST study till your eyes fall out..
"Just because any car nut can tell you every possible performance specification of a Ferrari doesn't mean he can drive. Most of these people live in places where they've never even seen a Ferrari, much less ever owned one themselves."
Supafly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 02:22 PM   #66

I got my 4th when I was 18, and okay, I lied. I don't have my 3rd yet. I get it in 2 weeks. I went to school for my firing time instead of working for it, which takes half the time.

Please don't call myself an engineer? I have this piece of paper saying I am. Who would you hire, someone certified with a degree with 0 experience, or someone certified with a diploma, and 6 years experience.

I'd rather not say where I'm working, but I also have income from music and investments.

From where this is thread is going, I think I'm going to stick to my other forums for this particular topic

Thanks to all who contributed
08 elise

Last edited by x_macbeth; 05-21-2009 at 02:30 PM.
Old 05-21-2009, 02:44 PM   #67
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Actually some guy on the Lambo forum only makes $30,000 and has a Gallardo. He posted a couple days ago and according to him he saved up his money since he was 6 years old, doesn't party, drink or go on crazy vacations. I bet he doesn't live in a nice house either. He changes the brakes, does oil changes at home to save money. When he goes on vacation with his family, yes he's married with kids, they stay at trailer parks. I should post the thread in here; it's a good read lol.

And honestly I wouldn't touch a used Gallardo unless it has some sort of warranty. And stay away from used 04 and 05 Gallardo's. Way too many problems like egear, clutch wear, a/c blowing hot air and other software related issues. The 06+ and up would be better.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 03:10 PM   #68
I subscribe to Revscene

really wtf thats stupid.. post the thread
DC5-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 03:35 PM   #69
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC5-S View Post
really wtf thats stupid.. post the thread
Don't want to jack this thread so made a new;

http://www.revscene.net/forums/guy-f...d-t576484.html
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 03:38 PM   #70
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Please don't call myself an engineer? I have this piece of paper saying I am.
Unless your degree is on this list, you're not an engineer. You just have a piece of paper using the term engineer unjustly.

For example: Lots of college programs are called "software engineering" yet are nothing more than learning which buttons to push, no real "engineering" aka problem solving.

http://www.engineerscanada.ca/e/pr_programs1.cfm
Old 05-21-2009, 03:43 PM   #71
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 13,521 Times in 1,745 Posts
Quote:

From where this is thread is going, I think I'm going to stick to my other forums for this particular topic
Never ever give out to much information on revsene or people will eat you alive, I think you've been proven that already ...
Old 05-21-2009, 05:25 PM   #72
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Unless your degree is on this list, you're not an engineer. You just have a piece of paper using the term engineer unjustly.

For example: Lots of college programs are called "software engineering" yet are nothing more than learning which buttons to push, no real "engineering" aka problem solving.

http://www.engineerscanada.ca/e/pr_programs1.cfm
He said he's a certified engineer, not a professional engineer. He's running some sort of plant equipment, I'm sure. (and making more money than most university grad engineers probably).

Almost everyone ignore APEGBCs rule for the term "engineer" these days. It's unenforceable.
heleu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 05:46 PM   #73
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

From the list, R8 cause I see less of those around than the lambo.

Not on your list: Porsche GT3 or Turbo. .
MikesJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 07:50 PM   #74
I am on the internets

Lambo - cause its a Lambo, period
maxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 08:15 PM   #75
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
Never ever give out to much information on revsene or people will eat you alive, I think you've been proven that already ...
True or not, it's unwise to brag about being a rich teenager and claiming you have "made it" on your own on a forum where 90% of the people here who, when they were 18 were probably not making more than 14 dollars an hour.

And ditto on the engineering thing. You aren't a "Professional Engineer" as defined by APEGBC, so I wouldn't treat you as one.

Granted, knowing your background it does make it a little easier to answer your question; buy the Elise. It fits your "weekend car" description and you love the way it drives, which is supposed to be the point. Given your age you can save the luxury amenities and other old man's claptrap for later. The Elise is a perfectly hardcore weekend getaway vehicle that you can take your ladyfriend for a fun spin in especially in the summer months, and you'd be less inclined to treat it like a garage queen like the R8 or Lamborghini. All the cash saved can be put towards something more useful in the future, and I wouldn't say getting an Elise is compromising on life's pleasures in any way.

More importantly really, if you're still in your late teens you would look kind of childish in a lambo or an R8; the hate club no matter where you go will be huge.
aperfectcircle is offline   Reply With Quote