REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics

Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Silicon Valley.
Tips & tricks, tech support, home theatre, online gaming, reviews, latest news...

Old 05-20-2009, 11:57 PM   #1
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 1,314 Times in 540 Posts
Help understanding computer lingo

So I'm in the market for a Laptop but unfortunately, am not too well versed with the computer lingo. How do I tell if one computer is more superior to the other.

Basically, other than going by numerical value on HD and RAM, I don't know how to tell how superior one is to the next. For example...

When talking about processors: Intel Pentium, Intel Centrino, AMD, dual core, etc etc. all of sudden becomes greek to me.

Same thing with videocards.

TIY for the help.
Advertisement
Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 12:04 AM   #2
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
Processor goes by what u need it for
worst to best
celeron -> pentium dual core -> core 2 duo -> centrino -> centrino 2

celeron - Don't go there
Pentium dual core -> good for everyday use a little slow if muti-task no games
core 2 duo - more then enough for everyday power
centrino -> core 2 duo + intel wireless card
centrino 2 -> 45nm chip (better battery life), intel wifi -N card, more cache (best)

Amd
sempron -> athlon -> athlon x2 -> turion x2 -> turion x2 ultra
basiclly the same thing as intel's line but it sucks more battery the turion x2 ultra has better processor for HD vids(blu-ray)

most laptops you see these days would have either intel mobile graphics 4 or ati hd3200 or Nvdia 8200, don't be fooled by the numbers all of these are crap, they can not play games, however they are capable of handling high-def

and ya....

Ram
3GB of ram and under uses 32bit (more apps)
4GB of ram and more uses 64bit (less apps)

for example simply accounting doesn't support 64bit, so just watch for what type of software you need and make sure that you don't get a 64bit unless all your apps,programs can use it.

Harddrive
most laptops have 250, some have 320, they go up to 1TB (Raid two 500's) so depending on what kinda space you want really.

screen type
some are led's that might be smth to look for as it offers better colour and brightness to the screen(most of the time)
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-21-2009, 02:06 AM   #3
ddr
Snapping away

for screens, more importantly look at resolution and view angles
Old 05-21-2009, 09:08 AM   #4
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 1,314 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aznboi128 View Post
Processor goes by what u need it for
worst to best
celeron -> pentium dual core -> core 2 duo -> centrino -> centrino 2

celeron - Don't go there
Pentium dual core -> good for everyday use a little slow if muti-task no games
core 2 duo - more then enough for everyday power
centrino -> core 2 duo + intel wireless card
centrino 2 -> 45nm chip (better battery life), intel wifi -N card, more cache (best)

Amd
sempron -> athlon -> athlon x2 -> turion x2 -> turion x2 ultra
basiclly the same thing as intel's line but it sucks more battery the turion x2 ultra has better processor for HD vids(blu-ray)
Thanks this was highly comprehensive and helped a lot.

Quote:
most laptops you see these days would have either intel mobile graphics 4 or ati hd3200 or Nvdia 8200, don't be fooled by the numbers all of these are crap, they can not play games, however they are capable of handling high-def
I'm still a little bit unclear with videocards though. I've been reading up on ATI and found a comparison chart of their products originating from mid 90's to their most current.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...ocessing_Units

Not being well versed, is it safe to assume that the later the model in years, the superior it is to it's preceding model?

Quote:
Ram
And one last thing I didn't understand regarding your post. I general numerical terms, the more usually means the better. I guess that doesn't always apply to computers. Why would a 64bit be inferior to a 32bit?
Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:26 AM   #5
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,379 Times in 478 Posts
32 bit os cannot use up all 4 gbs of ram
most apps we still have are still 32bit apps
but never the less get 4gbs
lilaznviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 11:18 AM   #6
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,076 Times in 1,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir View Post
Quote:
Ram
And one last thing I didn't understand regarding your post. I general numerical terms, the more usually means the better. I guess that doesn't always apply to computers. Why would a 64bit be inferior to a 32bit?
I think aznboi128 means that most applications can run in 32bit mode, but only a few can run in 64bit mode. So if you want Simply Accounting (which doesn't support 64bit) but you have the 64bit version of Vista, you're out of luck.

So in other words, be careful which version of operating system you get. I guess it's possible to get a laptop with 4gb of ram, but run the 32bit version of Vista (although then I don't see the point of getting 4 gb of ram if you can't make use of it all).
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 09:02 PM   #7
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,926 Times in 3,878 Posts
Quote:
I'm guessing you mean the integrated cards, I have a dedicated card in my laptop and its runs quite a variety of games, although nothing crazy new.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote