REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics

Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Silicon Valley.
Tips & tricks, tech support, home theatre, online gaming, reviews, latest news...

Old 05-21-2009, 08:46 AM   #1
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,165 Times in 594 Posts
Some websites load slowly while others are normal

I have Shaw, 1 PC, 1 PS3, and 1 laptop. They are all connected via router, hardwired NOT wireless. This problem occurs only on the PC with both FireFox and Internet Explorer, PS3 and Laptop work and load just fine.

The PC is the one I have the problems with, it is about 6 months old but the problem started happening about 2 months ago. Basically what happens is some websites take a long time to load. RevScene for example will take a good 30 seconds to 1 minute to fully load, I'll click on the RS shortcut and basically be staring at the banner up top with a black page below for up to a minute until it all loads up. It's the exact same pattern with a lot of the other forum websites I visit as well, also a few other non forum pages.

And most of the other websites I go too like Craigs List, Facebook, YouTube....etc..... they all load at the same speed they always have, no problems at all. It's just a handful of websites on my PC I have issues with.

Eventhough this is definitely a very strange PC issue, I've still done all the obvious tests like fully disconnect the router hook up the internet directly to the PC, I've scanned the shit outta the computer with different anti virus and anti spyware tools, nothing there. It's very confusing when the PS3 and Laptop loads these pages just fine which tells me it's not an issue with the webpages.
So from my understanding my PC has a mind of it's own, for some reason it's restricting or slowing down my access to certain webpages. Even that doesn't make sense, if it's to restrict something it would do it fully and not even load the page, I've never heard of any case where it just slows it down for you.

I'm pretty handy with PC issues and off the top of my head I know for example anti viruses like Norton can really and I mean REALLY fuck up your PC, but I've had NOD32 which is very unobtrusive, installed the whole time, and kept this PC very VERY clean of viruses and anti spyware since the time I bought it brand new.
Advertisement
Old 05-21-2009, 09:03 AM   #2
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,365 Times in 5,658 Posts
This seems to be a shaw problem I think becuase it's very similar to me, when I open my browser it takes a good 20-30 seconds sometimes to load the home page but once the first page is loaded everythng else is quick
Old 05-21-2009, 10:02 AM   #3
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
This seems to be a shaw problem I think becuase it's very similar to me, when I open my browser it takes a good 20-30 seconds sometimes to load the home page but once the first page is loaded everythng else is quick
it wouldn't be an issue with shaw for this situation because the laptop and ps3 are fine

check to see if the options are enabled, if so, disable them:

firefox - auto-detect proxy settings for this network
internet explorer - automatically detect settings

you can also try to reset the winsock catalog to see if that helps
MikeyStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 03:21 PM   #4
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,165 Times in 594 Posts
the problem has gotten progressively worse since I started this thread months ago. Last week it's gotten so bad that it seems to be shutting down my programs one by one. This smells like some sort of badass virus or something, I've scanned with various different anti virus/spyware programs and nothing comes up.

I am now unable to perform a windows update, I am unable to update Ad Aware, I can't download any Windows 7 themes from online, etc... a few other programs won't update or work as well, and I have to restart several times a day to keep web pages loading consistently.

Right now for example I had clicked Rev Scene bookmark around 10 times to get it to load. Most of the bookmarks I have on the top of my tab will not load if I click them now.
I will have to restart the PC and then they will work normally, but will only take about 30 minutes for the cycle to repeat and begin over again.

As for the programs not updating and Windows update failing to connect, that just flat out doesn't work no matter how many restarts I do.

like I said I'm pretty handy with PC's and I've gone beyond the normal troubleshooting steps and done some expert PC tuning, still nothing.
I would definitely be re installing a fresh copy of Windows 7 on the PC unfortunately this is my dad's computer and it's just too much work for him to go through the whole process. He needs all his files readily available at all times.
Old 09-25-2010, 03:53 PM   #5
I don't get it

all signs point to a nasty virus. It's gonna get worse before it gets better so the only sure fire way to fix this would be to perform a complete reinstall. It sucks, i've been there, gl
tacobell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 10:48 PM   #6
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,045 Times in 419 Posts
If you can recall, have you been visiting any suspicious website where you would get a virus? If you suspect it's virus, have you used hijackthis, other virus scanners like AVG? Do you have firewall on your router? If so, it's not easy for a virus to infect your computer unless you visited a website and clicked on a link or downloaded a .exe file and opened it.

Do you suspect it's a virus just because revscene load slow? What other website have you tried? If facebook, craiglist is fine, and revscene is the only one that is slow, than I don't think you should suspect it's a virus.

Have you tried different browser other than firefox? Do you have adblock plus for firefox? Is your cpu/ram usage normal at all times? Check your browser's security level.

After reading your second post. You said programs are shutting down one by one. You mean, they close automatically? If so, than someone definitely hacked into your computer and is using your resources. I recommend a reformat immediately. Definitely turn off all network sharing to and from your PC. Some virus/trojan can attack your netwwork, sit in their and camp out whenever another system is vulnerable to invade.

EDIT - also after a reformat, schedule your virus scan to scan daily when you're at work or whenever you're not using your PC.
mr_chin is offline   Reply With Quote