REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > The Business and Financial Forum

The Business and Financial Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene Wall Street.
Consolidating debt? Good business tips? Buying stock? How's our economy doing? Discuss and share advice and tools on everyday banking, investing, wealth management and insurance.

Old 05-23-2009, 01:28 PM   #26
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,196 Times in 2,276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gt-R R34 View Post
Depends on a number of factors - how long the debt was ago and so forth.

Best bet just go go equifax and order a copy. see where you stack anything below 650 - probably forget it

OR he can go to Capital One, they approve everything.
the debt was paid off after xmas
so its been like..4months now for him
i told him to not goto capitalone
but..try to work with the banks lowest teir card

i unno
i've heard bad things with capital one
haha
Advertisement
Tim Budong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 04:22 PM   #27
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,045 Times in 419 Posts
hmm... im wondering now, since i already have a r9 on my report... does it matter if i get another one? right now, i can try to come up with a fixed amount of money by monday which is quite difficult for me, should i even try to recover my second credit card since i already have one in the collection?
mr_chin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 12:19 AM   #28
Ubereem Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthchilli View Post
the debt was paid off after xmas
so its been like..4months now for him
i told him to not goto capitalone
but..try to work with the banks lowest teir card

i unno
i've heard bad things with capital one
haha
there are secured visa, where he puts money aside and thats the limit for him, so he can build his credit up. Which is the best step.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznlangjai View Post
hmm... im wondering now, since i already have a r9 on my report... does it matter if i get another one? right now, i can try to come up with a fixed amount of money by monday which is quite difficult for me, should i even try to recover my second credit card since i already have one in the collection?
Thats like your decision.
Gt-R R34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 01:36 AM   #29
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Speaking of credit bureaus, I read online and have heard from other friends that to increase your credit/FICO score, it would go up quicker if you had a huge limit of available credit but used as little/none of it as possible.
Does anyone know if this is true?
achiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 11:38 AM   #30
HELP ME PLS!!!

I disagree. I'm pretty sure the more credit you have, the lower your credit score, as you are a bigger risk to the bank.
johny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 11:41 AM   #31
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,583 Times in 4,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by achiam View Post
Speaking of credit bureaus, I read online and have heard from other friends that to increase your credit/FICO score, it would go up quicker if you had a huge limit of available credit but used as little/none of it as possible.
its better to get a card and buy small ammounts and pay it off right away so you can get a good rotateing credit thats what the banks look for. Basicly to show you make your payments etc.
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 12:03 PM   #32
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,045 Times in 419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
settle it don't pay it in full since it's already in collections. tell them you will settle it 80cents on the dollar or something and they should take it. said for a letter stating they will settle it and once you have that pay them and ask for a receipt and a letter stating the debt has been settled for XXX ammount.

then you will be fine and wait 7 years for it to be gone. The advantage of doing it right away there is a good chance its not showing on your credit file as in collection so I would get on it quick if it was just placed.
im scared. what if they dont send me a letter, what can i do about it?
mr_chin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 12:55 PM   #33
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,583 Times in 4,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aznlangjai View Post
im scared. what if they dont send me a letter, what can i do about it?
get proof before you send in the money fax/email etc.

then pay it off and ask for a settlement letter the same way

if they don't do it don't pay since you don't want them screwing you over.
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 08:05 AM   #34
Unauthourized Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by johny View Post
I disagree. I'm pretty sure the more credit you have, the lower your credit score, as you are a bigger risk to the bank.
It's called utilization. It can ruin your ability to receive further credit as it shows the current applicant has access to a lot of revolving credit. It doesn't lower your credit score/beacon score itself unless the number of accounts are in total excess.

The best thing anyone can do is keep it to a minimum and don't get too bogged down with having loads of credit. Even if it's all paid off, I've seen people have trouble getting mortgages because of having large LOC's elsewhere.
Chuck Norris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 09:49 AM   #35
PNF
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
Originally Posted by johny View Post
not entirely correct.

The credit rating does depend on how much credit you have and how much you are in loan, but it also looks at your debt equity ratio. If you constantly have $10,000 in credit card balance, but you have an liquid equity of say, $100,000 in your accounts/stocks/whatnots, then you actually would have a better rating if you pay those $10,000 off monthly.

It is more of a ratio, rather than just "how much debt" you have, or the higher debt you have, the lower the rating.

You're supposed to have hard time getting mortgage if you have a large LOC or any loan (student/car) anywhere.

It all depends on how much income you have left to pay your mortgage after everything is said and done (your utilities/other loan payments/whatnots).

Follow the advices posted in this thread as I think all of them will work in your advantage.

1) Stop using your CC
2) Negotiate a settlement ASAP
3) manage your finance better from now on and it is NEVER too late.

You'll be amazed on how much more you can "get" by not getting them all "now". Save and spend what you can afford.

Where All Lusts began....

08' AW E92 335i a few mods.....

01' SBM IS300 - Stock. Still running strong after 9+ years and 235k+ kms!!!
PNF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 09:52 AM   #36
PNF

Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
its better to get a card and buy small ammounts and pay it off right away so you can get a good rotateing credit thats what the banks look for. Basicly to show you make your payments etc.
+1

Easiest way to build your credit and they do work.

Old 05-26-2009, 09:58 AM   #37
PNF

Quote:
Originally Posted by achiam View Post
your FICO score depends on ratings from 3 different agencies and they all rate your credit slightly different. (Equifax, experian, transunion)

Try not to find a way to build your rate "quickly". There is no short cut (whether by having large unused credit, or by having large amount of loans and pay them off promptly and on time). It all takes time.

But I do recommend people, who can manage their money in some way (i.e. spend what they make and not over-spend), to use credit cards as much as they can.

I am not saying he/she should be using credit card and go buy a $3000 TV, when he/she cannot actually afford that $3000 TV.

I am saying, you should probably use your CC to buy those $30, $50 weekly groceries, or make that $50 month cellphone payment on CC (if free of charge of course).. and accumulate maybe $1000/month balance while you have an income of, say, $2000.

Point is, again, dont overspend and spend what you have. I guarantee you, by doing this for 2-3 years, even if you have a bad rating now, you'll at least move into the next bracket of maximum allowable loan, when you might need it the most down the road.

Also, with advancement of online-banking, you can just print everything and download every item to your Excel spreadsheet and just see where you spend your most money and even analyze on it. (you dont even have to spend money on softwares such as Quickbook, which is very good BTW).