REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   HealthCare & Wellness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/healthcare-wellness_269/)
-   -   Clearing out sinuses w/ saltwater throught the nose? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/576552-clearing-out-sinuses-w-saltwater-throught-nose.html)

LeanNsupreme 05-22-2009 07:30 AM

Clearing out sinuses w/ saltwater throught the nose?

First of all i get pretty bad allergies at times, yesterday they were horrible ALL FUCKING DAY, constantly sneezing, sniffing, itchy watery eyes, itchy nose, THEN couldn't sleep in the early morning cause nose was plugged.
Now... my friend told me that a good thing to do is get a warm cup of water, put around a half teaspoon of seasalt in it, tilt your head back and slowly start ingesting the water through your nose, it will apparently go throughyour sinus cavity and clear out the stuff that has been in there for god knows how long, he told me that when he did it all types of stuff came out including blood, i find it a little hard to believe, what do you guys think about that?

Supafly 05-22-2009 07:52 AM

i bought the nasal spray which is suppose to be sprayed up and come out your mouth....well, it did not clear my nasal passage, and it did nothing but give me a nose bleed for 5 mins...

i think im gonna go buy a sports bottle with the bent spout and use that to squeeze saline solution up...

yesterday was fucking terrible....even with a singulair tablet...

racerman88 05-22-2009 08:31 AM

it does work and it helps with snoring as well. My buddy does that before he goes to sleep and it reduced his snoring by quite a bit

bsftong 05-22-2009 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by racerman88 (Post 6432836)
it does work and it helps with snoring as well. My buddy does that before he goes to sleep and it reduced his snoring by quite a bit

is it over the counter stuff? can you find out which brand? I'm willing to try anything to help with my snoring...haha. I tried the strip but doesnt work all the time

LeanNsupreme 05-22-2009 01:11 PM

OK, i just did this (used normal salt instead of seasalt) about half of a cup w/ three segments, ingested through nose felt a bit of water come through mouth each time while water was dripping out my nose, tryed horking then blowing nose and nothing out of the ordinary seem to come out, but i suppose i felt a bit more lubrication if you will as opposed to that dry sniffing.

Expresso 05-22-2009 03:43 PM

My doctor suggested the same thing, but its not easy dumping water down your nose while keeping your head down lol.

Do yourself a favour and buy a NeilMed Sinus Rinse from Shoppers. Its basically a wash bottle with pre-packaged salt solutions. You basically spray it up your nose and it should come out the other nostril not your mouth.

jtrinh 05-22-2009 09:06 PM

theres a special tool for nasal cleansing. its called a Neti Pot. much easier than using a water bottle. =P

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nasal_irrigation
http://www.theherbalist.com/media/neti_pot_pic.jpg

LeanNsupreme 05-22-2009 09:13 PM

I think thats what i need

miss_crayon 05-23-2009 12:52 AM

dr oz on oprah suggested the neti pot so it must be good! hahah
but in all seriousness, the neti pot does work (friends have used it) and using the salt water trick does work but some people feel discomfort ..cause well it is your water going up your nose.

i'm using a nasal spray right now (my doctor prescribed me nasonex) and i don't find it working very well at all.

TOPEC 05-23-2009 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by racerman88 (Post 6432836)

does this actually work for snoring? i have pretty bad snore and it needs to quiet down.

ctsport 05-23-2009 06:15 AM

I have allergies and tried using nasal spray and it didn't work for me. Now I just take Claritin and I have no more symptoms. :)

racerman88 05-23-2009 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RX_Renesis (Post 6433833)
does this actually work for snoring? i have pretty bad snore and it needs to quiet down.

My buddy's wife said it has reduced his snoring. Not sure of the brand b/c he bought it when he was in Cali. I think they have it here over the counter.

What_the? 05-23-2009 06:21 PM

neilmed brand makes both spray bottle/neti pot kits

check your local pharmacy

v.Rossi 05-24-2009 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HachiSix (Post 6433295)
My doctor suggested the same thing, but its not easy dumping water down your nose while keeping your head down lol.

Do yourself a favour and buy a NeilMed Sinus Rinse from Shoppers. Its basically a wash bottle with pre-packaged salt solutions. You basically spray it up your nose and it should come out the other nostril not your mouth.

+ 1

if youre trying to clean out your sinuses or have a sinus infection, just tilt your head sideways that should be suffice. if it's really bad then tilt your head forward, so that your forehead is facing the ground.