REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > HealthCare & Wellness

HealthCare & Wellness Breaking the Chains of Addiction. The Last Door Recovery Society
Mature discussion surrounding important health issues and concerns. Alternative therapies, healthcare questions, discussion of community resources, peer support help, group therapy, etc.

Old 05-22-2009, 07:30 AM   #1
Banned (ABWS)

Clearing out sinuses w/ saltwater throught the nose?

First of all i get pretty bad allergies at times, yesterday they were horrible ALL FUCKING DAY, constantly sneezing, sniffing, itchy watery eyes, itchy nose, THEN couldn't sleep in the early morning cause nose was plugged.
Now... my friend told me that a good thing to do is get a warm cup of water, put around a half teaspoon of seasalt in it, tilt your head back and slowly start ingesting the water through your nose, it will apparently go throughyour sinus cavity and clear out the stuff that has been in there for god knows how long, he told me that when he did it all types of stuff came out including blood, i find it a little hard to believe, what do you guys think about that?

Last edited by LeanNsupreme; 05-22-2009 at 07:37 AM.
LeanNsupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 07:52 AM   #2
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

i bought the nasal spray which is suppose to be sprayed up and come out your mouth....well, it did not clear my nasal passage, and it did nothing but give me a nose bleed for 5 mins...

i think im gonna go buy a sports bottle with the bent spout and use that to squeeze saline solution up...

yesterday was fucking terrible....even with a singulair tablet...
"Just because any car nut can tell you every possible performance specification of a Ferrari doesn't mean he can drive. Most of these people live in places where they've never even seen a Ferrari, much less ever owned one themselves."
Supafly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 08:31 AM   #3
Banned By Establishment

it does work and it helps with snoring as well. My buddy does that before he goes to sleep and it reduced his snoring by quite a bit
racerman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 08:47 AM   #4
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerman88 View Post
it does work and it helps with snoring as well. My buddy does that before he goes to sleep and it reduced his snoring by quite a bit

is it over the counter stuff? can you find out which brand? I'm willing to try anything to help with my snoring...haha. I tried the strip but doesnt work all the time
bsftong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 01:11 PM   #5
Banned (ABWS)

OK, i just did this (used normal salt instead of seasalt) about half of a cup w/ three segments, ingested through nose felt a bit of water come through mouth each time while water was dripping out my nose, tryed horking then blowing nose and nothing out of the ordinary seem to come out, but i suppose i felt a bit more lubrication if you will as opposed to that dry sniffing.
Old 05-22-2009, 03:43 PM   #6
Say NO to blade grinders!

Thanked 1,256 Times in 580 Posts
My doctor suggested the same thing, but its not easy dumping water down your nose while keeping your head down lol.

Do yourself a favour and buy a NeilMed Sinus Rinse from Shoppers. Its basically a wash bottle with pre-packaged salt solutions. You basically spray it up your nose and it should come out the other nostril not your mouth.
Expresso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 09:06 PM   #7
RS controls my life!

theres a special tool for nasal cleansing. its called a Neti Pot. much easier than using a water bottle. =P

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nasal_irrigation
jtrinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 09:13 PM   #8
Banned (ABWS)

I think thats what i need
Old 05-23-2009, 12:52 AM   #9
Director of RS Cares

dr oz on oprah suggested the neti pot so it must be good! hahah
but in all seriousness, the neti pot does work (friends have used it) and using the salt water trick does work but some people feel discomfort ..cause well it is your water going up your nose.

i'm using a nasal spray right now (my doctor prescribed me nasonex) and i don't find it working very well at all.
Old 05-23-2009, 01:19 AM   #10
Trollollolloing RS sine 2005

Thanked 2,471 Times in 704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerman88 View Post
does this actually work for snoring? i have pretty bad snore and it needs to quiet down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
Vtec doesn't kick in on Reverse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
its like.. oh yeah oh yeah.. ohhhh yeah... OOoooOohh... why's it suddenly feel a bit better... ohhhh yeahh... ohhh...oh..fuck... it probably ripped.
TOPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 06:15 AM   #11
Banned (ABWS)

I have allergies and tried using nasal spray and it didn't work for me. Now I just take Claritin and I have no more symptoms.
ctsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 09:07 AM   #12
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Renesis View Post
does this actually work for snoring? i have pretty bad snore and it needs to quiet down.
My buddy's wife said it has reduced his snoring. Not sure of the brand b/c he bought it when he was in Cali. I think they have it here over the counter.
racerman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 06:21 PM   #13
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

neilmed brand makes both spray bottle/neti pot kits

check your local pharmacy
Old 05-24-2009, 12:56 AM   #14
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HachiSix View Post
My doctor suggested the same thing, but its not easy dumping water down your nose while keeping your head down lol.

Do yourself a favour and buy a NeilMed Sinus Rinse from Shoppers. Its basically a wash bottle with pre-packaged salt solutions. You basically spray it up your nose and it should come out the other nostril not your mouth.
+ 1

if youre trying to clean out your sinuses or have a sinus infection, just tilt your head sideways that should be suffice. if it's really bad then tilt your head forward, so that your forehead is facing the ground.
v.Rossi is offline   Reply With Quote