REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 05-22-2009, 09:11 AM   #1
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Driving across Canada?

Hey everyone!

Have any of you guys driven across Canada? Like, from St John's all the way to Vancouver (or Victoria hopefully).

How long did you take? How was the drive? Pace? Boring places? Exciting places?

Cheers!
Advertisement
achiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 09:40 AM   #2
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

I did do the drive, drove from Cape Breton, NS to Calgary. When I did the drive it wasn't a leisurely drive though. I was moving to Calgary for work, so I got there as quick as I could. I do plan to drive back east sometime though, and actually take my time.

The worst part of the drive seemed to be Ontario, 90km speed limit through the entire province and it seems like you are driving through forever! Didn't really stop at places to look at anything or do any tourism stuff, so I can not offer any insight in that department for you.

The drive to Calgary from Cape Breton took me and a buddy 40ish driving hours and the distance was over 5000kms.
Bruceod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 10:44 AM   #3
RS.net Licensed Sponsor

I have driven from Vancouver to Toronto and Vancouver to Thunder Bay. Its a long way. Take about 5 days to drive to St Johns

Driving at night in Northern Ontario is the most dangerous place. There are moose hanging around on the sides of the road. Transport trucks zoom past the other way. This place is not like northern BC. There is nothing basically from Winnipeg to Thunder Bay, other than Kenora. You need bright headlights, (we did not have that).

210 E 4th at Main
Vancouver BC V5T 1G5
Telephone - 604 879 6288
Email jim@overseas-auto.com
Toll Free - 1 800 665 5031

Text 604-836-7278

http://www.overseas-auto.com
http://www.piaalights.com
http://www.weberjets.com
http://www.brightsourcehid.com

MSN Messenger z5551212@hotmail.com

We take Interac, Cash, Visa, MC, Amex,

Open 8-5 Monday to Friday, 11-1 Saturday

We have been supplying quality accessories, parts, tires, wheels for 51 years.
Overseas Auto1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 08:35 AM   #4
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
I drove from Ottawa to Vancouver last year, and can say the best advice I got was to skip Canada. I drove through the US, saw:
- Bryce/Zion canyon in Utah
- Salt Lake in Utah
- Grand Canyon (south side, not the cheesey north side)
- Albuquerque hot air balloon festival
- Indianapolis Motor Speedway
- Gateway arch in St Louis

Total driving was 6500 kms and about 5 days on the road (16hr/day driving).

If you go straight across the top of the US its ~5000 kms.
Add 19 hours driving from Ottawa to Halifax, a 6 hr ferry ride, and a few hours driving and you'd be in St Johns, NFLD.

Would love to do this trip again and take a month.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 01:03 AM   #5
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
kinda off topic, but if you're thinking about doing that, make sure your car is well maintained and use Amsoil.

Amsoil has 25,000 mile oil and I heard it's pretty good.
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote