REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 05-25-2009, 03:14 AM   #1
Banned (ABWS)

swine flu in Hong Kong

Bought a plane ticket to go to Asia in August already. I was planning to get a visa to go into HK (hong kong), but then my mother told me not to because many tourists travel there and the swine flu is pretty bad there.

So how bad is it really? Is it just a bluff?

I mean, we have the swine flu here in Vancouver, and it's litterally unoticable in the places that i mostly go to.
Advertisement
orange7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 03:30 AM   #2
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 7,449 Times in 1,438 Posts
swine flu is bad here?

it's the idiots in NA don't care about it and let people travel around.

sooner or later, HK will become another madagascar---"SHUT DOWN EVERYTHING"

asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 04:04 AM   #3
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Swine flu is only bad in Mexico, and even then...the swine flu is just like any other flu. Less than 1% of people who are inflected actually die from the swine flu.
misteranswer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 07:39 AM   #4
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
First of all Swine Flu is not news any more.

Secondly, even if it was, it is just the flu. In fact, it's weaker than most common flu viruses. It is just very contagious. As mentioned, less than 1% of people die from it, and those were infants/elderly/already sick people.

Thirdly, only one person had it in Hong Kong, and that was 2 weeks ago. He was from Mexico, and they quarantined him in a hospital, and even quarantined the hotel (for like 2 weeks) even though he was in there for no more than 6 hours.

So no, don't worry about it.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 02:35 PM   #5
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
First of all Swine Flu is not news any more.

Secondly, even if it was, it is just the flu. In fact, it's weaker than most common flu viruses. It is just very contagious. As mentioned, less than 1% of people die from it, and those were infants/elderly/already sick people.

Thirdly, only one person had it in Hong Kong, and that was 2 weeks ago. He was from Mexico, and they quarantined him in a hospital, and even quarantined the hotel (for like 2 weeks) even though he was in there for no more than 6 hours.

So no, don't worry about it.
how updated is this news?

cause my mother told me that one of our relatives came back from hk and he got the flu. Then again, this could be a lie because she doesn't want to have me risking it.
Old 05-25-2009, 07:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange7 View Post
how updated is this news?

cause my mother told me that one of our relatives came back from hk and he got the flu. Then again, this could be a lie because she doesn't want to have me risking it.
He got the flu, not swine flu. Because if he was the SECOND person in HK to get the flu, it would be on the news.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:13 PM   #7
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

Thanked 2,253 Times in 626 Posts
fuck, i get sick all the time too. its cuz you go from the super hot weather, to cold a/c rooms, then ur back into vancouver and its cold damp and wet.

the only reason why swine flu made it to the news is because it was a new strain that jumped from pigs to humans. the reported deaths were of weakened immune system ppl. if you are healthy, it will do no worse than the regular flu.

and tell your mom to stop being so asian. gezzz, sounds like my mom. "we shouldnt go to the states! there is swine flu" my reply to that was "you do realize there are reported cases in BC too right mom?!"

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
!SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 08:19 PM   #8

Yeah, there comes a point where you have to decide for yourself if it's time to not listen to your mom 100% of the time. Grow up!
Old 05-25-2009, 08:39 PM   #9
Banned (ABWS)

haha. ya.. i was explaining to her that Vancouver probably has it worst than HK.

BTW, what precautions should i take before travelling to China and HK?

I heard there are some shots that I could take to prevent getting sick in China.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:44 PM   #10

Quote:
haha. ya.. i was explaining to her that Vancouver probably has it worst than HK.

BTW, what precautions should i take before travelling to China and HK?

I heard there are some shots that I could take to prevent getting sick in China.
Just make sure you're not exhausted at any time, eat good food and/or take a multivitamin every day. Bring some alcohol hand sanitizer with you, and use it several times per day. HK people have terrible manners when it comes to coughing and sneezing, and China people are even worse, so you have to take care of yourself and be defensive. If you want to go extreme, wear a mask. But have fun wearing a mask all day in this weather

When I first moved to HK, I got really sick a few times. But I haven't been sick in over a year now (knock on wood). I definitely take care of myself better, not to get sick.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:45 PM   #11
I STILL don't get it

nothin to worry bout, was in china/hk for about 3 weeks. jus got back to vancouver a couple days ago, didn't feel sick or anything while i was there. as for the shots, just ask your doctor he would know what shots your missing.
turb0triX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 08:46 PM   #12
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

honestly it wouldnt be necessary to get shots before going to china...usually when ppl get flu shots, they end up gettin sick.

just make sure ur not sick when u go..
talula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 08:49 PM   #13

Definitely make sure your hepatitis C shots are up to date. People don't wash their hands here, and then they are the ones who handle your food. My wife's uncle eventually died of liver failure due to hepatitis he got while visiting HK.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:14 AM   #14
Banned (ABWS)

^
For three days of my trip, I will be visiting some relatives in a poor village in China. I'll probably only be in HK for 3 days aswell. So again, I'll be visiting some unclean cities/villages.

Any tips would be helpful!
Old 05-26-2009, 08:16 AM   #15
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Just make sure you're not exhausted at any time, eat good food and/or take a multivitamin every day. Bring some alcohol hand sanitizer with you, and use it several times per day. HK people have terrible manners when it comes to coughing and sneezing, and China people are even worse, so you have to take care of yourself and be defensive. If you want to go extreme, wear a mask. But have fun wearing a mask all day in this weather

When I first moved to HK, I got really sick a few times. But I haven't been sick in over a year now (knock on wood). I definitely take care of myself better, not to get sick.

haha.. i don't mind wearing a mask, but it makes me feel disrespectful to my relatives.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:41 AM   #16

Quote:
^
For three days of my trip, I will be visiting some relatives in a poor village in China. I'll probably only be in HK for 3 days aswell. So again, I'll be visiting some unclean cities/villages.

Any tips would be helpful!
Keep your hands clean, double check to make sure that your food is fully cooked and clean looking. Believe me, going to a poor village in China is a lot more interesting than the phony shithole cities they have.
Old 05-26-2009, 02:29 PM   #17
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Definitely make sure your hepatitis C shots are up to date. People don't wash their hands here, and then they are the ones who handle your food. My wife's uncle eventually died of liver failure due to hepatitis he got while visiting HK.
didn't everyone take these shots back in high school??
Old 05-26-2009, 06:42 PM   #18

I guess so... Do they last forever?
Old 05-26-2009, 07:09 PM   #19
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,910 Times in 606 Posts
im in hk right now, seems like its overblown.

everyone is wearing those blue face masks, pretty funny
Sid Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 07:17 PM   #20
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
I guess so... Do they last forever?
they do... don't they?
i remember them telling me that I had to take the shots once in my life time so might as well get it over with while i'm young...

unless those fuckers lied...
Old 05-26-2009, 07:18 PM   #21
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Vicious View Post
im in hk right now, seems like its overblown.

everyone is wearing those blue face masks, pretty funny

why?? so is it serious?
why would ppl wear masks if there is like no cases of swine flu except for the hotel lock down incident
Old 05-26-2009, 08:49 PM   #22
Retired moderator

Isn't there more cases in BC alone as compared to cases in HK? You're fine. Ever since SARS they've blown everything out of proportion.

But HOLY warehouse sales, private sales, sample sales, major sales GALORE in HK right now.

If you don't want to go, I'll gladly go in your place and do up my third visit this year.

girl@revscene.net

girlはラップダンスをしたことがありません
Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 12:31 AM   #23
Banned (ABWS)

kk... thanks for all the replies..
i'm glad that i checked up the situation here rather than being influenced by family members.. I guess i'll be at HK! maybe I should get a rs t-shirt and wear it there! too bad there isn't any RS tank top!
Old 05-27-2009, 01:46 AM   #24

People always wear face masks in HK when there's a "scare". But it's less common now that the 'scare' is over after the hotel incident. Some companies make their employees wear masks (Jusco does this) but as far as people doing it on their own, usually it's the paranoid idiots who wear them all the time anyway, and people who are already sick and don't want to spread it.

Actually looking at the stats, if you were to have swine flu in HK, it is far more likely that you contracted it in BC already, and brought it over here. There have been 10 cases in HK, mostly in people who were arriving from swine flu places. BC on the other hand has had 115 cases.

So if you parents are insisting on being stupid, just show them those stats.

Sources: 1, 2
Old 05-29-2009, 03:03 AM   #25
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,910 Times in 606 Posts
hong kong is sick right now!
tons of canadians/americans due to it being summer, great sales.
im also going to above and beyond on the 28th
i also met bob sapp, hes fighting here.

dont let some media overlown scare prevent u from coming here
Sid Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote