REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Mobile Phone & Tablet Chat

Mobile Phone & Tablet Chat Need to unlock your phone? Check us out at JP Cellular Repair.
Smatphones, Tablets, Pagers (lol), Accessories, Networks, Services, Tips & Tricks, Download ringtones, Screen savers..

Old 05-25-2009, 10:12 PM   #1
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
Rogers Roaming (Korea?)

Does anyone know if Rogers has roaming in Korea/ I know that Korea is primarily on CDMA, but I've heard the Bold is coming out in July this year, so I'm curious if it's possible for me to head there with a GSM phone.

TIA guys.
Advertisement
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 10:24 PM   #2
Banned (ABWS)

the bold? its been out for some time now... you can head over there with just about any unlocked gsm phone.
03aspec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 12:07 AM   #3
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

holy fuk. roaming in the states is insane enouhg. but if u roam in korea............. cant imagine. DONT DO IT MANG!!!
J____ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 09:46 AM   #4
I STILL don't get it

Most big cell phone providers will do roaming.
They have several kiosks at the airport.
Be sure to ask your provider here to see the rate. If it's expensive..
Then just rent a phone while you're there, also at the same kiosks.
I think base price is about 4 dollars a day. Incoming is free, and 10 cents a minute..?
They offer discounts for long term.
kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 09:55 AM   #5
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Fido works there so I'm assuming Rogers will as well. But you'll need a 3G capable phone that is based on the European/Asian frequency. North American 3G phones won't work.

Both SK Telecom and KTF will work in 3G in Korea.

But I would recommend renting a phone at the airport as Kitsune suggests
voices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 11:05 AM   #6
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Why roam dude? Its going to be super expensive, roaming in the US is over $1.50 a minute! Definitely look into renting a phone or getting a cheapo pay as you go phone (thats what i do in the US).
skholla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 12:12 PM   #7
I STILL don't get it

I just came back a few weeks ago, my bold worked there. I only saw 3g on my phone so I dont know if gsm works there. Calls within Korea are $1.50/min, calls back home are $2.50/min, data is 3 cents /kb. Hope this helps.
JaSoN_520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 02:28 PM   #8
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaSoN_520 View Post
I just came back a few weeks ago, my bold worked there. I only saw 3g on my phone so I dont know if gsm works there. Calls within Korea are $1.50/min, calls back home are $2.50/min, data is 3 cents /kb. Hope this helps.
Totally.

I was curious mainly because I'm wondering if it's possible to get a prepaid GSM SIM card if my Bold is unlocked. I wasn't curious about roaming per se, but nobody's been able to tell me if I could use my bold abroad yet.
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 01:59 AM   #9
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme S View Post
Totally.

I was curious mainly because I'm wondering if it's possible to get a prepaid GSM SIM card if my Bold is unlocked. I wasn't curious about roaming per se, but nobody's been able to tell me if I could use my bold abroad yet.
GSMArena.com shows the following specs for the Bold:

2G Network GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
3G Network HSDPA 850 / 1900 / 2100

Wikipedia.org shows that SK Telecom and KTF both use 2100mhz for their 3G network. As far as I know, neither of these wireless providers offer a GSM network (instead they use CDMA).

So you will have to find out if either of those providers offer a rental/prepaid 3G sim card. If they do, your Bold must also be unlocked. If all these conditions are met, your Bold should work on their 2100mhz 3G network.
jlo mein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 03:23 AM   #10
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,817 Times in 8,191 Posts
Why would you roam? Just buy a SIM card. In Asia, you can usually buy one in any store like 7-11, or a vending machine. I know in Hong Kong, the cheapest ones are like $5 CAD, and even that lasts quite a while (and is totally refillable).

Roaming is so 2001
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 12:58 PM   #11
Rotary dori dori MOD

as i told u when you got your phone...don't roam. it's not worth it in anyway. bring me back something nice =)

!Shuya80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 02:39 PM   #12
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

I found out that Skype Roaming (phone rental) is the cheapest.. at least when I was back there last Nov.
you can find some deals on this site.. http://english.visitkorea.or.kr/enu/...EN_1_2_1_1.jsp

ps. I also tried to find the prepaid sim card just like in any other part of asia, but they don't have any. So either you rent their phones... or go on roaming on your 3G phone & pay a fortune in roaming fees.
tcneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 03:34 PM   #13
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,509 Times in 4,311 Posts
Graeme S is still asking whether he can use his Blackberry Bold or not. I don't think he's looking for alternative methods of communication.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 09:49 PM   #14
HELP ME PLS!!!

there are no sim cards here. but if you're here for like a week, just get a card phone at any shopping center. buy a crappy ass phone, put in 10bucks and off you go until it's empty. then return the phone n get ur money back.

simple as pie.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:50 PM   #15
HELP ME PLS!!!

but since there's wifi everywhere, why not just get a skype number, your bold with wifi, and off you go. you can call ppl, ppl can call you, it all works out for like 18won a minute which is like a penny