REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 05-27-2009, 07:12 AM   #1
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Opinions on Layovers vs. Direct Flights (going to Tokyo)

Going to Japan for almost a month in July. Found some $500 flights with Northwest (NWA) but they have a 4 hour layover in Seattle heading out and 1.5 hour layover in Portland heading back. I also found Japan Airlines (JAL) direct to Tokyo (NRT) from YVR for $900.

Would people recommend direct flights over layovers? I'm afraid that short layovers would lead to missing your connection if you first leg is delayed, or also lost baggage issues. However I can't ignore that $400 is a significant savings and could be put to upgrading accomodations to private rooms / baths versus hostels with shared baths.
Advertisement
jlo mein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 09:48 AM   #2
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,063 Times in 1,182 Posts
I prefer the direct flights over flights with stops because I'm concerned with the same things as you: lost baggage, missed connections, and don't forget - extra time spent travelling. However, for a price difference of $400, I'd pick the cheaper one!

If the price difference was much smaller, I'd just pay a bit more for the direct flight.
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 10:04 AM   #3
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

i'm flying to japan in july as well. booked my ticket about a 2 months back for $930 (sunday) though if i flew on a weekday, it would have been $880 or somewhere around there. i know there are cheaper options than JAL like NWA, AC etc. but at least I know with JAL, the service will be at minimum satisfactory. heard too many horror stories from those flying long flights with AC in economy. i think paying more for a direct flight is worth it since it saves the possible headaches. as well, if you decide to wait a bit longer, i believe JAL may be having a seatsale for july coming up though the pricing may not be as competitive as the $500 at NWA.

also, just wondering where and what hostel/hotel you'll be staying at in tokyo?
Jer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 10:41 AM   #4
I subscribe to the Revscene NWS thread(s)

I agree with everyone else here. Direct is preferred, as layovers are usually a headache. (especially short layovers on in your case an international flight)

I usually pack a few essentials with me to take on board if I have a connection (stuff like PJ's, a change of clothes if it's for work, basic toiletries) so that in the event my bags don't make it on time, I have a backup.

EDIT: Just noticed your short layover is on the return flight. 90 minutes might not be enough as you will need to clear customs in the US on your way back. (I had a 1 hour layover in LAX one time coming back from Mexico City and I wasn't even close to being able to make my flight because I had to clear customs) I'd see if there is a different PDX - YVR flight that's a bit later on in the day.

Last edited by syee; 05-27-2009 at 10:50 AM.
syee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 03:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jer3 View Post
as well, if you decide to wait a bit longer, i believe JAL may be having a seatsale for july coming up though the pricing may not be as competitive as the $500 at NWA.

also, just wondering where and what hostel/hotel you'll be staying at in tokyo?
Seatsale for July, really? July is usually the most expensive and busiest month to travel to Japan. I still have no idea what hostel/hotel I'll be staying at in Tokyo, trying to get flight first. I do know that some desirable ones are already fully booked in July. At minimum I'm aiming for private room with AC and shared bath/toilet, but I would prefer ensuite bath/toilet if the price is right (trying to stay under 100yen per night for two).

hmmm...good info so far, thanks guys. Have to figure out how much $400 is worth to me, also trying to find reviews on NWA's Japan flight. Most reviews of the JAL flight I've read have been positive for service, but plane has smaller seats than American airlines.
Old 05-27-2009, 05:03 PM   #6
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,501 Times in 4,306 Posts
From my experience, and I'm up in the air a lot, it all comes down to how much time you have. If you have all the time in the world, do the layovers - save $400. On the other hand, if you have a tight schedule, do the direct flight and bite the bullet for the extra $400.

Really, if you miss your flight on a layover, airlines will squeeze you onto the next outgoing flight pending that there are extra/unsold seats and you'll have to claim your baggage or have it delivered to your destination. It's not the end of the world.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 06:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Really, if you miss your flight on a layover, airlines will squeeze you onto the next outgoing flight pending that there are extra/unsold seats and you'll have to claim your baggage or have it delivered to your destination. It's not the end of the world.
True...the crappy part is if you were scheduled for the last flight out. If that's the case, you might be stuck there overnight. Sometimes the airlines will cover your hotel expenses, but the last time this happened for me (delay was due to clearing customs) I was stuck footing the bill for the hotel room.
Old 05-29-2009, 01:21 AM   #8

Well after hearing your opinions I decided on the direct flight. JAL should have better service and it'll be convienent to go direct without any stops.

I'm kinda regretting it now since stays in Tokyo and Osaka are getting expensive lol. I just booked 14 nights at the Sakura Hotel Hatagaya near Shinjuku for $134CDN/night for two people. Two beds, private bath, AC, and lame free breakfast. Now I'm trying to cheap out for private room hostels with shared bath in Osaka and some more Tokyo for 12 days.
Old 05-29-2009, 04:03 AM   #9

might be too late, but i'd consider taking a bus or train down to seattle instead of sitting around seatac for 4 hours after getting on a plane from yvr.
Old 05-29-2009, 03:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Karl View Post
might be too late, but i'd consider taking a bus or train down to seattle instead of sitting around seatac for 4 hours after getting on a plane from yvr.
It works out to about the same. A bus ride to seattle would be 3 hours drive plus border wait time. At least with sitting around for 4 hours in Seatac you can relax, walk around, eat, washroom, etc.
Old 05-29-2009, 04:07 PM   #11
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
For long haul flights I prefer non-stop but that been said I don't mind stopovers if I'm flying on business class because it gives me a chance to relax and check out the lounges.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 07:18 PM   #12
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
If the ticket is nearly half the price, it would be pretty stupid not to take that one. I fly with NWA, they are fine. IIRC, the seats are wider than the Japanese airlines too.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 11:58 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlo mein View Post
Well after hearing your opinions I decided on the direct flight. JAL should have better service and it'll be convienent to go direct without any stops.

I'm kinda regretting it now since stays in Tokyo and Osaka are getting expensive lol. I just booked 14 nights at the Sakura Hotel Hatagaya near Shinjuku for $134CDN/night for two people. Two beds, private bath, AC, and lame free breakfast. Now I'm trying to cheap out for private room hostels with shared bath in Osaka and some more Tokyo for 12 days.
me and my buddy booked 4 days in osaka at j-hoppers. from what the reviews say, the location is fairly convenient and the price is definitely cheap (3000 yen each for a private twin room).
Jer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 04:42 PM   #14

Fuuuuuuu....lol, I'm jealous that i didn't find out about j-hoppers in Osaka. Looks like their private twin rooms have lots of space to spread out your luggage since it uses bunk beds. Plus, that rooftop drinking area looks like an awesome place to see the city at night and chat with fellow travellers.

In Osaka I booked Hotel Kinki. Japanese style twin tatami room 6400yen/night (total for two people) on some nights, western style twin room 7600yen/night for when the cheaper room is fully booked. I'm pretty excited about the location, near JR Osaka Station, as half my time in Osaka I'm using it as base for daytrips to Kobe/Kyoto/etc.

On the end of my trip I also have another 4 nights at Hotel Kent in Shinjuku for $9500yen/night (semi-double room). More expensive for a smaller room, but the location is great, right in the lively nightlife area east of Shinjuku station.

Last edited by jlo mein; 05-30-2009 at 04:47 PM.
Old 05-31-2009, 05:40 AM   #15
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlo mein View Post
Going to Japan for almost a month in July. Found some $500 flights with Northwest (NWA) but they have a 4 hour layover in Seattle heading out and 1.5 hour layover in Portland heading back. I also found Japan Airlines (JAL) direct to Tokyo (NRT) from YVR for $900.

Would people recommend direct flights over layovers? I'm afraid that short layovers would lead to missing your connection if you first leg is delayed, or also lost baggage issues. However I can't ignore that $400 is a significant savings and could be put to upgrading accomodations to private rooms / baths versus hostels with shared baths.
It's hard to miss your connection if you're not a complete moron or security holds you up or something. It's not a Top Gear race...you usually have plenty of time to leisurely walk to your connecting flight.

That being said, I usually prefer to fly direct since I stay up all night the night before flying so I can just sleep away the entire flight. It's not that I don't like flying but more than it's hard to entertain yourself for 10+ hours.

However, at the difference in price, I wouldn't mind 4 hours in Seattle. That extra $400 is better spent on stuff in Japan.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 08:02 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
It's hard to miss your connection if you're not a complete moron or security holds you up or something.
I don't think the issue is the 4hr wait from YVR-SEA, it's the 1.5 hour layover from PDX-YVR. Since they will be arriving from Japan to the US, they will have to clear customs. Depending on the time of day and how many other flights there are out there, there is the possibility of missing their flight. 1.5 hours is cutting it close. If you didn't have to clear customs or go through security, I'd say you'd be fine, but since you'd definitely have to clear customs, and potentially another security checkpoint, chances would have been slim.

With that said, if I was saving $400 per person, I probably would have waited.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:38 PM   #17
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

I think $400 is justifiable savings if you needn't be at your destination at an exact time (e.g. work). Lengthy layovers are always a pain though.
Speaking of which, a friend's friend recently flew back to London from some island in the Caribbean - total travel time of 24 hours! (or something crazy like that)
achiam is offline   Reply With Quote