REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Maintenance, Engine & Driveline Tech

Maintenance, Engine & Driveline Tech This forum is brought to you by The Speed Syndicate (TSS) in Burnaby.
Discussion of maintaining your engine, transmission, differentails, rear ends, and mods associated with "driveline" parts..

Old 05-27-2009, 04:16 PM   #1
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

rubbing/buzzing noise when i turn

OK, so i brought in my car to get the timing belt/water pump changed and my breaks.

When i go pick up my car theres this huge wirring/rubbing noise coming from the steering colum when I turn. It's loudest when I'm parked and turning my wheel even a little. I asked the mechanic he said it might be air in the power steering fluid and to drive it around for a few days and bring it back for a flush if it's still making that noise.

Any thoughts? BTW anyone know a good mechanic, I have a feeling these guys were messing w/my car it's so loud when it drives now, I can hear wirring from the engine and my exhaust sounds louder.
Advertisement
Kamui712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 05:54 PM   #2
Banned By Establishment

it sounds like there could be air in the power steering system, what kind of car is it?
nickmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 09:14 PM   #3

it's a prelude 2000, if they're changing the timing belt how could air get in the power steering?
Old 05-27-2009, 10:07 PM   #4
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

if they disconnected ur p/s hose instead of removing the whole pump, that'll get air on there. need to move the line in order to get at the t belt
lexluthor09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 10:32 PM   #5
Banned By Establishment

yeah the hose runs above the covers and whatever. i take the hose off the pump, swing the pump towards the front of the car and push the hose to the side then quickly bleed it after and i've never had a problem, maybe someone at the shop turned the steering wheel and pushed fluid out?
nickmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 10:49 PM   #6
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 1,289 Times in 409 Posts
Air in the steering pump system will cause noise, but the air will eventually work its way out, what the mechanic said was lazy, but true. They should fix the problem for you, but as he said, if you still notice it in a day or so, take it back and get them to flush it.
Iceman-19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 11:48 PM   #7

alright, thanks for all the replies guys i'll test it in the morning and see how it sounds.