REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   HealthCare & Wellness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/healthcare-wellness_269/)
-   -   Smoking - Casually (https://www.revscene.net/forums/577466-smoking-casually.html)

Gt-R R34 05-29-2009 07:28 PM

Smoking - Casually

So i use to be a smoker, and now i have more or less quite even from when i drink.

my question is how bad is it to have one or 2 eveyr couple of months for the body?

Just curious would anyone know,

I've heard the ads/seen the adds, about 30% more lung capacity after 3 months or smthing.

Would 1 or 2 make a huge difference?

racerman88 05-29-2009 07:56 PM

it's just bad, period. As a non smoker, I keep telling my buddy about how much money he can save and put it into his car or bike if he didn't smoke.

SizzleChest 05-31-2009 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gt-R R34 (Post 6443384)
So i use to be a smoker, and now i have more or less quite even from when i drink.

my question is how bad is it to have one or 2 eveyr couple of months for the body?

I've heard the ads/seen the adds, about 30% more lung capacity after 3 months or smthing.

i don't think anyone will have a definitive answer for you on that one. better to ask your doctor, however, being that you used to be a smoker, you most likely started casually as most do and then became addicted over time. i would be concerned that the same thing would happen again.

i have never been able to understand the appeal of smoking. i tried a cigarette once in grade 10. i didn't hate it and i didn't like it either, but for what it costs for a pack, combined with the addiction factor and the health risks, it was a no-brainer to make it my last cigarette.

misteranswer 05-31-2009 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by racerman88 (Post 6443418)
As a non smoker, I keep telling my buddy about how much money he can save and put it into his car or bike if he didn't smoke.

Yea, save money in one area and throw it away in another.

Fafine 05-31-2009 05:48 PM

lol i quit smoking for like maybe 5 months then i tried the whole casual smoking thing and now im back to smoking everyday, cant help it, its fucking delicious

SkinnyPupp 05-31-2009 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gt-R R34 (Post 6443384)

It's bad, because inevitably you'll start smoking regularly again like the failure above. And not because it's "delicious" because your body literally thinks it can't go without it.

You did a good job of quitting. Keep it that way.

Shun Izaki 06-02-2009 02:41 PM

I'm not about to bash you, or tell you you're going back to smoking.

But put it this way. It's a carcinogen aka poison.

If you can quit, then quit. If you don't mind to do it once or twice a year. Like your body is supposed to, it should heal you quite well... i think approx 90% of the damage you did.

Put it this way,

You go to a loud concert, and you listen to loud music in your car. You're going to go deaf like me... but if you let your ears relax every now and then, they will heal. I need my ears for my audiophile like nature, so... I notice small changes in my hearing.

Never the less. Up to you and contact your PC if you have any quesitons.

Marioo1991 06-03-2009 02:08 PM

I dont think 1-2 every couple months should really harm u that bad, but like ppl said you could get hooked again, I think that should concern you more. That being said, I wouldnt do it unless you have strong will power.

!SG 06-03-2009 03:44 PM

1 or 2 a month wont do much. u probably get the same amount just hanging around downtown for a night.

smoking is bad, i know, i still smoke.

i notice im smoking more, but im not inhaling as much. i think it comes from smoking more cigars (not any better) where you dont actually inhale the smoke more or less taste it...

either way, quit if u can.

dark0821 06-08-2009 10:56 AM

i think the way you are smoking.. it should be fine.... ya.... ofc.. quit will be the best option for sure

choda 06-08-2009 02:44 PM

I'm really trying to quit smoking too but I don't think if you have one or 2 in a month it'll make that big of a difference, but then again I'm no doctor. I find the best way to quit, which is what I'm doing, is to slowly phase it out. I'm down from 20 or a pack a day, to anywhere from 0-5 a day now, and recently I've gone 5 days without anything! WOOOOOOO for me!

Shun Izaki 06-08-2009 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !SG (Post 6450247)
1 or 2 a month wont do much. u probably get the same amount just hanging around downtown for a night.

smoking is bad, i know, i still smoke.

i notice im smoking more, but im not inhaling as much. i think it comes from smoking more cigars (not any better) where you dont actually inhale the smoke more or less taste it...

either way, quit if u can.

I knwo this is a crappy way to do things, and wastes money (which i can't bear do, being asian). But I find myself butting out smokes quicker etc... like 1/4 left etc... and more and more...

It lets you have the habit of going outside, lighting a smoke, inhaling, and then just butting it out to know mentally that you did that.

twitchyzero 06-08-2009 09:38 PM

i thought OP was a doctor

...? might've been another user with gtr-34 names :P

E N D L E S S S 06-30-2009 08:11 PM

kinda ot.. but why are cigars no better when you don't actually inhale the smoke?

twitchyzero 07-01-2009 01:25 PM

cause your soft oral tissues are still being traumatized (chemical & thermal)

nipples 07-01-2009 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jun Kitami (Post 6448510)
I'm not about to bash you, or tell you you're going back to smoking.

But put it this way. It's a carcinogen aka poison.

If you can quit, then quit. If you don't mind to do it once or twice a year. Like your body is supposed to, it should heal you quite well... i think approx 90% of the damage you did.

Put it this way,

You go to a loud concert, and you listen to loud music in your car. You're going to go deaf like me... but if you let your ears relax every now and then, they will heal. I need my ears for my audiophile like nature, so... I notice small changes in my hearing.

Never the less. Up to you and contact your PC if you have any quesitons.

Your ear will be able to heal itself to an extent. If the eardrum has a small perforation, then maybe. but the periphery of the hole will see much less migration and healing compared to the center. Larger (more severe damage) would require surgery. I'd choose smoking everyday over going to concerts everyday in a heartbeat. If i were deaf, i'd go nuts!

Gumby 07-02-2009 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nipples (Post 6490094)
Your ear will be able to heal itself to an extent. If the eardrum has a small perforation, then maybe. but the periphery of the hole will see much less migration and healing compared to the center. Larger (more severe damage) would require surgery. I'd choose smoking everyday over going to concerts everyday in a heartbeat. If i were deaf, i'd go nuts!

But aren't you more likely to die from smoking, than from being deaf? :p

taylor192 07-02-2009 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !SG (Post 6450247)
i think it comes from smoking more cigars (not any better)

Not only not any better, they are 10x worse.

unit 07-02-2009 01:03 PM

its not bad, its just stupid.

nipples 07-02-2009 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gumby (Post 6491038)
But aren't you more likely to die from smoking, than from being deaf? :p

but the quality of life would be greater for a smoker than a deaf person.

unit 07-02-2009 10:42 PM

^until you get lung cancer and look like a skeleton, sure

WHEYsted 07-05-2009 08:38 PM

If you smoke maybe 5-6 cigarettes in your life and you quit. Will your lungs be normal overtime?

twitchyzero 07-05-2009 09:42 PM

curious as to why you wanna get back into casually smoking
is it a social thing?
stress-relief?

Gumby 07-07-2009 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nonamehustla (Post 6495539)
If you smoke maybe 5-6 cigarettes in your life and you quit. Will your lungs be normal overtime?

Nope, 4 is the max. Any more and it's over.

Gt-R R34 07-07-2009 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twitchyzero (Post 6495626)
curious as to why you wanna get back into casually smoking
is it a social thing?
stress-relief?

social thing, but like the people above me said, once you start, "social" it becomes Normal again - aka want one and will be back to a normal smoker.