REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/sports-sports-entertainment-fitness_35/)
-   -   Best place to buy mission roller skates? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/577500-best-place-buy-mission-roller-skates.html)

nano 05-30-2009 09:51 AM

Best place to buy mission roller skates?

Starting roller hockey and need new blades, bunch of friends recommend going with missions. I know sportcheck has them but does not carry many models (mostly lower end ones I think) but for a very reasonal price. Any good hockey stores in the lowermainland that carry mission skates for a better price than sportchek? Looking to spend no more than $150, Hoping to possibly find a last seasons higher end model on a nice sale.cheers.

MR_BIGGS 05-30-2009 10:01 AM

Might want to check out Cyclone sports...many locations..one in Vancouver is best I think...other than that SportsChek is good...got my missions there....if u get them there....ask them to pre-heat them so they fit to your foot...
they'll do that no extra charge

nano 05-30-2009 10:16 AM

thanks for the reply, appreciate it. Kind of new to rollerhockey, not too sure what you mean by the term preheating the skates? what does it do?

nano 05-30-2009 10:24 AM

oh and just curious, why do alot of people who play rollerhockey always recommend missions? what makes them good compared to other brands?...what do people think of nike bauer, they seem to make alot of skates for good prices too.

And just a general question about skates, what does one look for when choosing a skate? weight? strength? or does it depend on how I play?

6thGear. 05-30-2009 10:40 AM

Well, first off, $150 isn't gonna net you last yrs high end model. In fact, at that price point, those will buy you the low end ones. Higher end rollerblades cost about $500. Oven baking is a process where they stick the boots into an hot air convection oven and what it does is it will heat up the boot and soften it. Then you lace them up, sit there for the boot to conform to your feet and don't take it off till it cools down. What this does is it lessens the break in time and will conform to your feet better.

My suggestion is buy a lesser model because being new, your not gonna outskate a higher end model one. That and plus once you get better at skating you can move up in models. Also the higher end it is the longer/harder the break in period is. I have Mission Helium 9500. They were one of the highest model skates a few yrs back. It took me almost a season of PICH to break them in and I'm not a newbie. Just to give you some insight there

People suggest Mission because it was they who set the benchmark for Roller Hockey stuff. They are the biggest players in hockey equipment which is probably why people reccomend them.

nano 05-30-2009 11:52 AM

6th gear, that was very informative! thanks a bunch. Yeah I was just browing on some sites (sportchek and another one called cyclones that biggs recommended). I can find mission skates from $100 to $150 from sportcheks (im assuming they are the lower end models) and on cyclones store I saw one from $250 to $150 but I guess thats a mid level skate. Thanks for the heads up about the preheating guys, do all sportchecks do this for you or is there one I should be going to? How long do I put it on for in the store for it to mold properly?

MR_BIGGS 05-30-2009 12:30 PM

they'll sit you down for like 15-20 mins...tie up the laces...

I played roller hockey first time in the league last year at the langley rink my Collossus Theatre...I bought missions for like 200.....I think they were BSX Mission...nothing special prob lower end ones...
No problems with them...after one season..i still don't think they are fully broken but no complaints otherwise...

I know the Richmond one does it..thats where I got mine..

6thGear. 05-30-2009 06:18 PM

Any sport chek will do it. So will any hockey store that sells skates. But yeah, usually 15-20 mins will do, then don't skate on it for 24 hrs.

mickz 05-30-2009 06:39 PM

Don't limit yourself to just Missions. Just because other people love them doesn't mean you will. Try on as many skates as you can in your price range and make your decision based on whichever one fits best.

nano 05-30-2009 07:39 PM

thanks for your suggestion, but I won't really be able to get a feel for them will I? Cause I can only put them on in the store but cant really skate around to see which one I like best.

mickz 05-30-2009 09:36 PM

When I bought my Missions from Sportchek they let me wheel around the store; they made me put on a helmet and wrist guards though.

Some boots will fit fine when you first put them on but after 15 minutes or so they might feel tight or have areas where it's pinching your foot.

Preemo 05-31-2009 01:14 AM

All of my gear is Mission. And 6thGear is right. Mission is THE hockey brand to go with as they set the standard for quality and performance.

That was a few years ago. Now, companies like RBK (Jofa) and Tour make awesome skates! The thing you might want to look out for is WEIGHT. I bought my Missions almost 5 years ago and even though they are still awesome skates, they are heavy as shit.

I compared the weight from Tour skates to my Missions and you can really tell the difference. You should really check out RBK, Mission and Tour skates. You'll have to weigh in the price, weight, sizing and ANKLE support! If you have weak ankle supports in a boot even after heat molding, it will affect your skating ability and confidence.

In the end, if you think you'll stick around long enough to be playing roller hockey for a few years, I would definitely invest into a good boot! The boot will always stay with you, but you can always change out the wheels and bearings as you progress.

mickz 05-31-2009 10:06 AM

Don't think anybody carries Tour locally though.

MR_BIGGS 05-31-2009 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mickz (Post 6444782)
When I bought my Missions from Sportchek they let me wheel around the store; they made me put on a helmet and wrist guards though.

Some boots will fit fine when you first put them on but after 15 minutes or so they might feel tight or have areas where it's pinching your foot.

I bought my Missions from Sportschek too....damn if they made me put on a helmet and wrist guards...I would have been like I'll find who doesn't make me wear them and they can get the commission.....

I know it's a liability thing - but nah...

6thGear. 05-31-2009 12:24 PM

Well, Bauer bought Mission, so that says a lot. If you can't beat them, just buy them. lol.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mickz (Post 6445168)
Don't think anybody carries Tour locally though.

Yeah, your right, but I could've sworn I've seen them in person up here b4.

jdc430 05-31-2009 01:15 PM

Sportschek is good. and Mr bigggs: they no longer get commission

Preemo 05-31-2009 03:18 PM

Right. I totally forgot Bauer bought them out.

Anyways, Tours, not locally. I had to go over the border for those. =(

nano 05-31-2009 06:54 PM

Hey thanks for all your opinions everyone! what do you guys think of nike bauer? btw why is nike in the name? did Nike buy out bauer who bought out mission lol?...anyways now that bauer bought out mission, even though they still run as a seperate company, bauer must have improved in their skates

mickz 05-31-2009 07:51 PM

Nike used to own Bauer and operated as separate brands in the 90s until they merged a few years back. Nike sold Bauer last year but the new lines, especially the Supreme One95, were already designed and in production so Nike allowed Bauer to continue using the NBH name and logo for one more year.

I'm certain Bauer's purchase of Mission is for more than just roller blades. You have to remember it's not just Mission they bought, it's Mission-Itech. Bauer wants a piece of the half visor market which is dominated by Oakley and Itech. That's why you'll now see Bauer branded Itech visors.

nano 05-31-2009 09:52 PM

thanks for the reply, you know alot about this topic thanks for sharing! I'll go in sometime this week to try on a few pairs of different brands to see how they feel, thanks again guys

nano 06-02-2009 07:29 PM

oh just one more question that came up today, My intention to by skates is to start playing indoor roller hockey with my friends who are in a league. However I plan on first practicing outdoors, will outdoor surfaces like cement be bad for my skates? Is there a different type of mission skate for indoor and outdoor use? also on occasion I plan on doing the seawall with the new skates rather than renting everytime I go, is that bad for it?

6thGear. 06-02-2009 07:37 PM

You'll be fine as long as you have a dedicated set of outdoor wheels and indoor wheels. Anything after that..well, if your skates get damaged while your outside is probably cause you fell and scraped the boot.

nano 06-02-2009 08:45 PM

thanks for your help 6th gear...so even for the initial use for outdoor rinks/lacross boxs just to get use to the skates, you suggest buying a set of wheels? is it easy to switch between sets, like is it something I can do myself and not have to bring into a shop?

mickz 06-03-2009 05:10 AM

You'll also have to get a second set of bearings with the wheels. Changing your wheels is easy, all you need is two hex keys which will probably come with your skates.

nano 06-03-2009 10:14 AM

cool thanks, ill just buy the skates now and use it for outdoor use till I start playing indoor, which then Ill buy another bearing/wheel set. thanks guys