REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 06-01-2009, 01:41 PM   #1
Banned (ABWS)

Good ab excercises

Last year at this time, I was pushing in a solid 115 lbs. I started taking these pills for my anxiety issues and my appetite exploded. I'm now about 155 lbs., and all the weight has mainly gone to my gut. I was wondering besides sit ups, and running, are there any other good ab excercises to get rid of this?
Advertisement
choda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 01:58 PM   #2
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Watch the P90X ab ripper for various ab exercises (can be found on youtube/google video). You can also google ab exercises which should have video and/or pics of how to do it properly.
BlackV62K2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 02:18 PM   #3
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Ab exercises won't get rid of your gut.

Cardio and diet, yet mostly cardio. Michael Phelps eats 12,000 calories a day, including some terrible meals (egg sandwiches with butter, bacon and tons of mayo) yet he's a lean as can be. That's cause diet can only do so much, you need exercise.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 02:36 PM   #4
My homepage has been set to RS

nice day to to do about 3 rounds of the grouse grind!!

i think i will do one tomorrow...i got a gut to lose as well.
RayBot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 02:54 PM   #5
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

^ Damn.....3 rounds of that??? I'm dead after going up once.
BlackV62K2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 04:13 PM   #6
My homepage has been set to RS

^^ Point declared....

wanna lose the gut? Its not gonna be an easy excercise.
RayBot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 06:40 PM   #7
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

yep. exercise is key. at my peak, i was 245 lbs. i started running 1-2 days/4-8 kms per week and dropped down to 220 lbs pretty quick. i slowly up'd my running to 1-2 days/10-15 kms per week and would bounce around between 212-220 lbs. i started running 3 days/30 kms per week and dropped down to 200 lbs in 6 weeks. and my diet hasn't changed a whole lot since my peak weight. i try to moderate my portions and choose healthier foods, but i've always been a big eater. my mouth still waters when i go grocery shopping on an empty stomach.

weight loss is not easy, but anyone can accomplish it if they are willing to put the work in.

Quote:
Originally posted by MelonBoy
ya i brush regularly with calgate or crust
SizzleChest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 07:12 PM   #8
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzleChest View Post
yep. exercise is key. at my peak, i was 245 lbs. i started running 1-2 days/4-8 kms per week and dropped down to 220 lbs pretty quick. i slowly up'd my running to 1-2 days/10-15 kms per week and would bounce around between 212-220 lbs. i started running 3 days/30 kms per week and dropped down to 200 lbs in 6 weeks. and my diet hasn't changed a whole lot since my peak weight. i try to moderate my portions and choose healthier foods, but i've always been a big eater. my mouth still waters when i go grocery shopping on an empty stomach.

weight loss is not easy, but anyone can accomplish it if they are willing to put the work in.
I ran a marathon 2 years ago, and during training I dropped from 235 to 182. The only thing I gave up was beer (replaced with lots of wine, hated feeling bloated). I was actually eating more, and still losing weight.

I was running 5 times a week, biking 3 times, weight training 4 times, and taking fitness classes. It was insane, yet after the marathon I kept it up for awhile and could eat anything I wanted. I would make poutine with an entire bag of fries, mucho gravy and packs of cheese curds! ... and still be hungry!

For anyone wanting to lose a lot of weight fast, full/half marathon training. Running 5 times a week is hard and builds dedication and perseverance. You cannot eat/drink terribly, or else you'll feel awful running. You have to get sleep, cause you'll be exhausted. 4 months of training and your life will be completely changed.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:13 PM   #9
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,777 Times in 8,170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
including some terrible meals (egg sandwiches with butter, bacon and tons of mayo)
How is that a terrible meal? There's like no carbs in there!

If you were going to criticize the food Phelps ate during training, you should be pointing out all the pancakes and french toast and the 1 pound of pasta he eats for lunch!

Anyway, listen to these people (in a way). Abs are a waste of time if you are trying to get rid of your fat belly. Eat less carbs (or better yet, next to no carbs), do full body weightlifting, and you will shed the fat. You don't even need cardio. I don't do any cardio at all (besides a 3km walk each morning), and I have lost over 10 lbs in the last month.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 07:40 AM   #10
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
How is that a terrible meal? There's like no carbs in there!
There's this thing called "fat"....

Carbs == energy, when you're doing cardio you need energy.

Quote:
Eat less carbs (or better yet, next to no carbs)
This is a major misconception of the Atkin's diet. The diet takes away all carbs at first, like a detox, to get your body used to eating fewer bad carbs, then reintroduces good carbs. The Atkin's diet is NOT anti-carb, its a lifetsyle change and the last phase of the Atkin's diet actually has tons of carbs (you need carbs for energy).

So eat less simple carbs (sugar, white rice/bread/pasta) and eat more complex carbs (whole wheat/grain, fruit, ...)

Quote:
do full body weightlifting, and you will shed the fat.
That's cause weightlifting causes muscle repair over the next 15 hrs and that continues to burn calories. Yet you'll be hard pressed to burn 1000 calories weight lifting even after 15 hours, vs taking a 1 hr aerobics class.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:50 AM   #11
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,777 Times in 8,170 Posts
Oh my god...

Just...

oh

my

god.

I don't even respect you enough to go on a rant like I did against Great68. Just go read the thread I started in the Health forum. That's all I am ever going to say to you. Hopefully you learn something from this.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 08:33 AM   #12
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Oh my god...

Just...

oh

my

god.

I don't even respect you enough to go on a rant like I did against Great68. Just go read the thread I started in the Health forum. That's all I am ever going to say to you. Hopefully you learn something from this.
I don't need your respect, you're another sheep believing the latest fad.

I have nothing to learn from it, you're the one currently on a diet losing weight, perhaps you have something to learn. I ran 31 kms (12 and 19) and bladed 20 kms this weekend, unless you're in that kinda shape, you're preaching to the choir.

Carbs are needed for energy, cutting too many leaves you lethargic without the energy for exercise.
Carbs are also brain food, that might understand why you're dumb enough to believe a video done Michael Moore style.

I'll give you one thing: the video is right, fat is not bad for you. Yet too much of it, like too much carbs, IS BAD FOR YOU!

Do you know why the diet was limited to 2000kcal? Cause calories from fat add up FAST!
Quote:
Fat: 1 gram = 9 calories
Protein: 1 gram = 4 calories
Carbohydrates: 1 gram = 4 calories
Alcohol: 1 gram = 7 calories
This is a major reason people are told to avoid fat and eat carbs. Carbs are filling, ad you can eat TWICE as much. For people on diets, having full bellies on less calories sure helps binging.