REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 06-03-2009, 02:29 PM   #26
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jun Kitami View Post
I can tell you my shun set is 5 years old, still as shiny as new, and my global steak knives (the ones that get the most wear) are insanely new (i even throw them in the dishwasher)

For me at least, It's not about showing off. It's about excellence in what you do (cooking in this case). I've more or less given up cooking in the past year or so in terms of laziness, but I think I might go back to it after reno'ing my place XD
You throw your knives in the dishwasher, especially high quality knives? That's sacriligious.

Don't get me wrong, as with a lot of things I do, I ensure I have the proper tools to do the job. All in all, cooking is hard work and anything that makes it easier (like good knives) is worth investing in.

But, I will admit that the women for whom I've cooked have been impressed with the knives, plates, and all of the other kitchen gadgets I've collected over the last couple of years.
Advertisement
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 06:23 PM   #27
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

u throw them in the dishwasher? *shudders*

best advice anyones ever given to me, go to ming wo (only affordable place that sells high quality knives) bring some vegetable like a carrot, and thell let u practice with their knives. And go with feel, best way to buy a knife.

ps: please buy a steel, or ur expensive knife in 4 weeks will be as usefull as cutting a tomato with a brick.
bd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 07:31 PM   #28
Banned By Establishment

I throw my global steak knives in the dishwasher.

No problems with them. Not a scratch on it, still sharp enough to cut the rack!!! XD
Shun Izaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 08:47 PM   #29
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,799 Times in 981 Posts
Global is a good cheaper brand for home use, but you wouldn't use them if you worked in a kitchen.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:16 PM   #30
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,172 Times in 2,405 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freakshow View Post
Global is a good cheaper brand for home use, but you wouldn't use them if you worked in a kitchen.
Anthony Bourdain uses Global and recommended it in his books.
sonick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 09:22 PM   #31
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

there is another post about knives which I read, and decided to buy one. I got a Hattori HD - santoku. The thing is razor sharp, but as it states and as I can see, the edge is very very fine, I wouldnt buy it unless you are doing delicate work. took about 5-6days to be shipped incase you decide to get one Was reading reviews Shuns VS japanese knives, decided to go with japanese knives, but I suppose its partly preference.

Also incase you dont know, mingwo, house of knives and another place gives 20% industry discount with proof of work (paystub) or culinary school documentation.
dhawes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 12:08 AM   #32
HELP ME PLS!!!

Where is this MING MO?

What about ceramic knifes? They seem like a big thing now days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpuGen View Post
I used the Wusthofs for work, but while the lightness was great for fatigue, the handle sucks.
What / where do you work?
"With chocolate, you know what you're gonna get and I can't always be delicious."
Gachinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 08:04 AM   #33
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,172 Times in 2,405 Posts
Ming Wo. I know one in Lansdowne Mall in Richmond, and one in Kits somewhere.
sonick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 10:36 AM   #34
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakshow View Post
I use my global set for culinary work too...it works fairly well for my purposes, studying mostly into chinese cuisine... afaic, it's not the best by any means, but in no way is it cheap.
Shun Izaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 12:15 AM   #35
VLS Moderator

Thanked 2,591 Times in 832 Posts
I use Wustof's Culinar line at home and used one for work when I was in the Japanese restaurant industry.

My main work knives were high carbon steel Japanese knives that would put any stainless steel knife to shame even when dull, but of course they cost many times more than Henckel, Wustof or Global. I have a $1000 knife that will keep its edge for over a month in a busy restaurant setting, whereas with my Wustof, I'd have to use a sharpening steel at least twice a day.
R.I.P. 1989 Acura Legend Coupe LS.
Senna4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 12:34 AM   #36
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Global is the best bang for the buck and are amazing knives. Shun are my favorite, I finally got a Ken Onion chefs knife!!! Check out the Gourmet Warehouse in Vancouver, the store is awesome, service is great, they carry both brands, you can test them out in store, and the pricing gives Amazon.COM a run for their money (after you factor in exchange, duty, and driving to Blaine to pick up your order).

Chef's knife vs Santoku, I have both and it all comes down to preference. Santoku knives are really popular right now, even more so amongst woman in the kitchen as the knives are typically smaller and lighter than your average chefs knife. I still recommend a classic 8" chefs knife, I find that they can be used for more tasks in the kitchen and when paired with a good paring knife that is all that most people need in their kitchen. Down the road the only other knives I would add are a good but cheap serrated/bread knife and a meat cleaver.
skholla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 11:50 PM   #37
HELP ME PLS!!!

^ From the shape of the two it seems that Santoku would be better for chopping, and has better control/power at the tip. It is after all modified by the Japanese to better suit Asian cusine AND women. Since most home cooks are women.

The PROS don't use Chef nor Santoku do they? They have other task specific knifes while Chef and Santoku are multitask and considered entry level? I'm just talking outta online research, I don't have more actually experiences. All I know is my knifes, which my parent bought years ago, sucks ($20-ish knifes from wherever). I bought a stone and did some pretty good sharpening, still it seem to dull after few uses, and it doesn't exactly cut through anything at ease.

Getting a $50-$80 would be a good start. Unless a $90-$100 is really that big of a difference in steel and edge.

Would Japanese made edge of 17 degree be better. Logically it should beat a 23 degree German? As long as the steel is strong enough to hold the thin edge? Or that 6 degree really doesn't mean much except big price jump?
"With chocolate, you know what you're gonna get and I can't always be delicious."
Old 06-16-2009, 12:32 AM   #38
VLS Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gachinto View Post
The PROS don't use Chef nor Santoku do they? They have other task specific knifes while Chef and Santoku are multitask and considered entry level? I'm just talking outta online research, I don't have more actually experiences. All I know is my knifes, which my parent bought years ago, sucks ($20-ish knifes from wherever). I bought a stone and did some pretty good sharpening, still it seem to dull after few uses, and it doesn't exactly cut through anything at ease.
The pros use whatever suits them. It's the material of the knives that make a hell of a lot of difference. The $1000 sushi knife I mentioned in my earlier post is made from 100% high carbon steel (Yanagi Honyaki Aoko blue carbon steel) and is hand made using the same techniques used in making samurai swords. It is very hard, but also very brittle and difficult to sharpen properly. It is also very rust resistant compared to my cheaper ($400) sushi knife which I need to sharpen once a week, whereas I can get away with not sharpening my expensive one for months. Anyways, what I'm trying to say is that not only is the metal alloy important, sharpening technique is too. You mentioned that you had bought a stone, but how fine is it? You can seemingly do a good job at sharpening a knife, but it can be decieving...a well sharpened knife will hold its edge a lot longer than one not well shrpened...they will both be sharp at first. I'd say even a cheap knife that has been sharpened properly should hold its edge for about a week in the home.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:49 PM   #39
HELP ME PLS!!!

^ It does have 2 sides... I don't know about the grit tho~ I've heard that I should go even finer than stone, such as sand paper and leather strip. I do use a sharpening steel to hold its edge after, not ceramic.

(I even used a protractor to measure a 23 degree angle... since I doubt they are 17)

Anyhow I see these as good practices for better knifes. Although good knife tend to have free sharpening anyways, just pay shipping.
Old 06-17-2009, 12:52 PM   #40

Go to gourmet warehouse and grab a basic 8" chefs knife by global. For the price u won't be disappointed. Get an honing steel too and use it everyday, don't use a knife sharpener or a stone unless u know what u r doing. Sharpening your knife removes metal and resets the edge, this will shorten the life of the knife, only sharpen when needed. If u take care of ur knives, honing and hand washing and drying, proper cutting board and be mindful of not damaging the edge or point, then they should stay sharp for 1-2 years before the need for professional sharpening. Take it in somewhere, let the pros do it. Some knives can even hold an edge longer than that.

Most home cooks and even pros too will use a chefs knife for just about everything. Of course u need a cleaver or boning knife when those situations come up but until they do I'd rather have one awesome knife than a block full of crappy ones. Santokus are great, I own a nice one, it's light and sharp but I prefer the rocking motion and the feel of my chefs knife better. The blade on my santoku is also a bit thinner than on my chefs so I use it when I am doing thin slicing.
Old 06-17-2009, 05:11 PM   #41

I was at cookworks today and they had a global 7" chefs knife for $120, it should be about $100 at gourmet warehouse. At this price point it's a great starter knife, it's a by smaller than the standard 8" but still usable, even better for people with small hands.
Old 06-17-2009, 05:49 PM   #42
DOES HE LOOK LIKE A BITCH?

Thanked 2,571 Times in 689 Posts
interesting I come across this thread,
I was at my girlfriend's house today and her parents have these ceramic (I think) knives that are really lightweight but great for slicing and even dicing,

maybe something to look into
Culture_Vulture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 12:20 AM   #43
HELP ME PLS!!!

^ Ya I asked about those before. They are much lighter but I don't know how durable they are compare to the good steel. I'd think steel would still be stronger, but ceramic has it's advantage maybe.

They look pretty kool~
Old 06-18-2009, 12:26 AM   #44
HELP ME PLS!!!

Anything good in Home Outfitter? Well... if time's right I can get some pretty good discount from them... 35-50% off if I'm lucky~ They have some high end Calphalon and Henckels. (and Chicago Cutlery... looks pretty cheap.)

No one mentioned Calphalon so I guess they aren't that good at knife, they just make any kind of housewares.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:02 AM   #45
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,126 Posts
The Bay downtown had a couple of sets of ZW Henckels Professional 'S' knives at 60% off a couple of weeks ago. They were on clearance for $260. Included in the set are an 8" chef's knife, 3" pairing knife, bread knife, 5" utility knife, sharpening steel, and a nice black block. They still might be there so it's worth taking a look.

If you're looking for a starter set of good knives, this is a great price. The black block will go well with your newly-renovated kitchens or your yuppified condos.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 08:46 PM   #46
HELP ME PLS!!!

The German-Modded Japanese-Modded Chef Knife!!

Modded Santoku... LOL Crazy!
I doubt that many ppl has one~
http://www.cutleryandmore.com/wusthof-wunder.htm
Old 06-18-2009, 09:34 PM   #47
DOES HE LOOK LIKE A BITCH?

Thanked 2,571 Times in 689 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gachinto View Post
^ Ya I asked about those before. They are much lighter but I don't know how durable they are compare to the good steel. I'd think steel would still be stronger, but ceramic has it's advantage maybe.

They look pretty kool~
I don't know about durability,
but I was helping out with dinner and those knives were better than any steel knives I've ever used (then again, my household was never that big on getting top notch cutting utensils)
Culture_Vulture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 11:10 PM   #48
My homepage has been set to RS

If money is no option, Shum is the way to go. perfectly balanced, good quality steel. However, with a budget of $70 or so, look at the House of Knives in house brand. Its pretty good. I'm quite happy with mine.

Edit: Check out Gourmet Wearhouse or House of Knives for selection. Never buy from a store who won't let you test out the knife in store first. You need to feel how it is in your hands, how its balanced and how much or little you like it.

In other words..

I would love to insult you but you wouldn't understand.
TekDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 11:27 PM   #49

house of knives is expensive as fack! gourmet warehouse has the best prices in town, unless you catch a serious sale or score a hook up.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:30 PM   #50
VLS Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by skholla View Post
house of knives is expensive as fack! gourmet warehouse has the best prices in town, unless you catch a serious sale or score a hook up.
They will give you a 20% discount if you can prove you're a chef/cook.