REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Suspension, Brakes , Wheels & Tires Tech (https://www.revscene.net/forums/suspension-brakes-wheels-tires-tech_191/)
-   -   installing coilovers..just some questions (https://www.revscene.net/forums/578038-installing-coilovers-just-some-questions.html)

RX8CER 06-03-2009 10:41 PM

installing coilovers..just some questions

hey guys, i have a set of coilovers im going to install, but got some questions, after i install them, should i adjust the ride height to what i want first, or should i take it in for alignment right after and then adjust the height? im kinda confused..thanks guys

jing 06-03-2009 11:56 PM

Either or.. you could get an alignment if you really wanted to after the install, but then you'd need another alignment after you lower it...

SumAznGuy 06-04-2009 12:54 AM

IIRC, you are installing this into an S2000. Officially, the car does not need to be re-aligned as you are not touching any of the adjuster bolts.

Personally to save on tires, install the coil-overs and adjust to the height you want. Get the alignment, and then after a few weeks when the springs have settled, double check that the height is what you want and then get the car re-aligned.

If you have any q's about the install, let me know. I've put on and taken off my shocks enough times to know how to do it.

nismosx 06-04-2009 08:42 PM

i would but the coilovers to the stock height of your car then work your way down to the desire height

RX8CER 06-07-2009 11:05 PM

thanks guys for the input! will let u know how this turns out =)

!Aznboi128 06-08-2009 12:52 AM

depending on how low you go might want to get some camber kits to save your tires

!SG 06-08-2009 08:05 AM

errr, no, adjust the height first, then go do alignment.

when you lower ur car, you are adjusting the suspension geometry. so camber/toe/caster settings are all different depending on the height of ur car.

just make sure u dont adjust ur car so low that you cant go on the alignment hoist. from stock to say a slammed height, is a big difference.

my suggestion, adjust to as close to the height u want, then go for alignement, then readjust. this way u know ur new height is close to the corrected aligned height from just previous setting.

unless you are someone like me that thru every suspension upgrade process had to get a new alignment.

1) lowering car
2) readjusting to correct height
3) rear camber kit install
4) new front lower ball joints
5) front camber kit install

every step along the way changed my alignment (steering and steering wheel was affected)

!Aznboi128 06-08-2009 08:24 AM

^ I still didn't get camber kit, I got an aligment already the rear camber is a little off, but other then that its not too bad its -1.1 or smth

!SG 06-08-2009 08:45 AM

depends on the car. my car has toe and camber adjust, however even with that, it was maxed out.

with no camber kit, i was runnning -3.5 on the front and at one point -3 for the rears. these numbers are great if im going full out VIP...

now with front and rear camber kits installed, front is down to -2, and rear is down to -1.25