REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Suspension, Brakes , Wheels & Tires Tech

Suspension, Brakes , Wheels & Tires Tech THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Suspension components, brakes, Wheels and Tires. All things related to how your car handles...

Old 06-03-2009, 10:41 PM   #1
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

installing coilovers..just some questions

hey guys, i have a set of coilovers im going to install, but got some questions, after i install them, should i adjust the ride height to what i want first, or should i take it in for alignment right after and then adjust the height? im kinda confused..thanks guys
Advertisement
RX8CER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 11:56 PM   #2
It's like going crazy when you're already nuts

Thanked 2,606 Times in 692 Posts
Either or.. you could get an alignment if you really wanted to after the install, but then you'd need another alignment after you lower it...
Old 06-04-2009, 12:54 AM   #3
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,285 Times in 1,197 Posts
IIRC, you are installing this into an S2000. Officially, the car does not need to be re-aligned as you are not touching any of the adjuster bolts.

Personally to save on tires, install the coil-overs and adjust to the height you want. Get the alignment, and then after a few weeks when the springs have settled, double check that the height is what you want and then get the car re-aligned.

If you have any q's about the install, let me know. I've put on and taken off my shocks enough times to know how to do it.
(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 08:42 PM   #4
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

i would but the coilovers to the stock height of your car then work your way down to the desire height
nismosx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 11:05 PM   #5
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

thanks guys for the input! will let u know how this turns out =)
RX8CER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 12:52 AM   #6
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,409 Times in 1,599 Posts
depending on how low you go might want to get some camber kits to save your tires
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 08:05 AM   #7
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

Thanked 2,253 Times in 626 Posts
errr, no, adjust the height first, then go do alignment.

when you lower ur car, you are adjusting the suspension geometry. so camber/toe/caster settings are all different depending on the height of ur car.

just make sure u dont adjust ur car so low that you cant go on the alignment hoist. from stock to say a slammed height, is a big difference.

my suggestion, adjust to as close to the height u want, then go for alignement, then readjust. this way u know ur new height is close to the corrected aligned height from just previous setting.

unless you are someone like me that thru every suspension upgrade process had to get a new alignment.

1) lowering car
2) readjusting to correct height
3) rear camber kit install
4) new front lower ball joints
5) front camber kit install

every step along the way changed my alignment (steering and steering wheel was affected)

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
!SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 08:24 AM   #8
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,409 Times in 1,599 Posts
^ I still didn't get camber kit, I got an aligment already the rear camber is a little off, but other then that its not too bad its -1.1 or smth
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 08:45 AM   #9
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

Thanked 2,253 Times in 626 Posts
depends on the car. my car has toe and camber adjust, however even with that, it was maxed out.

with no camber kit, i was runnning -3.5 on the front and at one point -3 for the rears. these numbers are great if im going full out VIP...

now with front and rear camber kits installed, front is down to -2, and rear is down to -1.25

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
!SG is offline   Reply With Quote