REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 06-07-2009, 04:49 PM   #1
My homepage has been set to RS

Got a ticket for improper display of front plate,But i dont have a front plate

I just got a ticket for improper display of front plate but i actually dont even have a plate at all. I guess i can dispute the amount and get it lowered to $109 which is not having a plate at all? How could i prove this, i did get a ticket last month for $109 for no front plate, i guess i can use that ticket as proof that i never had a front plate????
Advertisement
03c0upe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 08:54 PM   #2
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
The bigger question is, why didn't you learn your lesson with the first ticket, and properly attach your plate then?

Don't expect any sympathy from the cop, the judge, or from RS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 09:16 PM   #3
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,543 Times in 840 Posts
Honestly man? Just put your damn plates on.
Qmx323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 09:32 PM   #4
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

I don't even get exactly what you're asking, you're wondering what you can say to get your ticket reduced?
greendb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 09:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendb7 View Post
I don't even get exactly what you're asking, you're wondering what you can say to get your ticket reduced?
im wondering what i can do to pay 109 instead of $200. i got ticketed for the wrong thing. Thats what im wondering
Old 06-07-2009, 09:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
The bigger question is, why didn't you learn your lesson with the first ticket, and properly attach your plate then?

Don't expect any sympathy from the cop, the judge, or from RS.
im not expecting sympathy from rs.
im expecting sympathy from the judge
Old 06-07-2009, 09:52 PM   #7
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,307 Times in 1,775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03c0upe View Post
im not expecting sympathy from rs.
im expecting sympathy from the judge
Highly doubt you'll get either.

Think about it, you didn't put on the license plate after you've been given a ticket. Now that you received another ticket, you're disputing it because you didn't comply with the first ticket.

This is like spitting it in their face and shitting in their food and calling it chocolate cake.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 10:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post
Highly doubt you'll get either.

Think about it, you didn't put on the license plate after you've been given a ticket. Now that you received another ticket, you're disputing it because you didn't comply with the first ticket.
Can you just see the exchange with the judge?

03c0upe: "See, I have proof that my plate WASN'T improperly attached, but it actually wasn't there at all... see, I got an earlier ticket for not having it!"
JJP: "So, let me get this straight, you got a ticket for it, so you KNOW that the law REQUIRES you to have the front plate... but you didn't put it on? Why would you not put it on at that point?"
03c0upe: " ..... "

Quote:
This is like spitting it in their face and shitting in their food and calling it chocolate cake.
Two ricers one plate???
Quote:
Old 06-07-2009, 10:30 PM   #9
VAC Head Rotang Mod

Thanked 1,427 Times in 627 Posts
while i do think he's a bit dense for not getting the hint the first time, he may have a legitimate defense for dispute.

the ticket is for display of plate, while the wording is a bit ambiguous, it could be said that he couldn't have improperly displayed the plate, as it wasn't displayed at all. and the wording could imply that the plate is there, but not displayed in the prescribed manner (i.e. in the window, or bent under the front lip)

My Feedback (10-0-0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fei-Ji View Post
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Raid3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 10:49 PM   #10
RS Peace Officer

You have a legitimate defense as you were charged under the wrong section. But just put a front plate on your car.
Five-Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 07:28 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-Oh View Post
You have a legitimate defense as you were charged under the wrong section. But just put a front plate on your car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raid3n View Post
while i do think he's a bit dense for not getting the hint the first time, he may have a legitimate defense for dispute.

the ticket is for display of plate, while the wording is a bit ambiguous, it could be said that he couldn't have improperly displayed the plate, as it wasn't displayed at all. and the wording could imply that the plate is there, but not displayed in the prescribed manner (i.e. in the window, or bent under the front lip)
I'd think if he was going to enter this dispute, it would be a good idea NOT to bring up the first ticket. As Raid3n points out, the "improper display" charge COULD be interpreted as not displaying the plate at all, so this is an instance where the greater charge COULD be applied, even if it normally isn't.

Arguing the wrong section on its own merits could work... but bringing up that one has been recently busted on the same offense and hasn't learned one's lesson from it will likely not inspire the JJP to accept the more favorable interpretation.
Quote:
Old 06-08-2009, 08:38 AM   #12
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
Number plates in horizontal position
3.02 A number plate shall at all times be securely fastened in a horizontal position to the vehicle for which it is issued.

Plates to be unobstructed
3.03 A number plate must be kept entirely unobstructed and free from dirt or foreign material, so that the numbers and letters on it may be plainly seen and read at all times and so that the numbers and letters may be accurately photographed using a speed monitoring device or traffic light safety device prescribed under section 83.1 of the Act.

Which section were you charged with?
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 03:26 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-Oh View Post
What would my defense be? Lets say not mentioning my prior ticket for the same thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
Number plates in horizontal position
3.02 A number plate shall at all times be securely fastened in a horizontal position to the vehicle for which it is issued.

Plates to be unobstructed
3.03 A number plate must be kept entirely unobstructed and free from dirt or foreign material, so that the numbers and letters on it may be plainly seen and read at all times and so that the numbers and letters may be accurately photographed using a speed monitoring device or traffic light safety device prescribed under section 83.1 of the Act.

Which section were you charged with?
"3.02 improper display of plate" thats what said on my ticket.
Old 06-08-2009, 03:27 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
Can you just see the exchange with the judge?

03c0upe: "See, I have proof that my plate WASN'T improperly attached, but it actually wasn't there at all... see, I got an earlier ticket for not having it!"
JJP: "So, let me get this straight, you got a ticket for it, so you KNOW that the law REQUIRES you to have the front plate... but you didn't put it on? Why would you not put it on at that point?"
03c0upe: " ..... "

Two ricers one plate???
Doesnt mean the cop can give me a ticket for the wrong thing.
Old 06-08-2009, 03:37 PM   #15
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,166 Times in 2,402 Posts
lol this is awesome.

It's like getting busted for possession and then incorrectly getting busted for drinking and driving, and disputing the DUI with the defense: "Your honour, I was NOT drunk, I was HIGH."
sonick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 04:22 PM   #16
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03c0upe View Post
What would my defense be? Lets say not mentioning my prior ticket for the same thing?

"3.02 improper display of plate" thats what said on my ticket.

"3.02 A number plate shall at all times be securely fastened in a horizontal position to the vehicle for which it is issued. "

"Mr X...was your plate at all times securely fastened in a horizontal position to the vehicle for which it was issued?"

"No it was not...in fact it was not even on the vehicle"..."

Guilty! See the clerk in the court office on your way out."
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 04:52 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
"3.02 A number plate shall at all times be securely fastened in a horizontal position to the vehicle for which it is issued. "

"Mr X...was your plate at all times securely fastened in a horizontal position to the vehicle for which it was issued?"

"No it was not...in fact it was not even on the vehicle"..."

Guilty! See the clerk in the court office on your way out."
Yes, so hopefully judge will reduce the find to $109 instead of $196!! Because not having a plate at all has a fine of $109 compared to having a plate on the dash is $196. I did not have a plate at all
Old 06-08-2009, 05:18 PM   #18
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

MAN UP

either way in the end you did not properly or at all display a plate. why is it that you even think you deserve a lesser ticket.. im not trying to attack you but this is the reason that people think ricers are idiots! they do things to modify their cars that make them obviously illegal and also unsafe. There is no excuse for this. come on be responsible when modding your car!
r.attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 07:27 PM   #19
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

I'm one who is totally for front plates and I wish police would crack down more on those who don't put one on properly or at all. My friend's car was hit when it was parked in front of his house. They caught the hit n run driver because his front plate was imprinted on his rear bumper. So yeah, I personally have no pity on people who don't have front plates.

BTW, why don't you have a front plate?
wing_woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 07:44 PM   #20
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
If i'm the cop writing the tix, here's my thought process:

"Hmmm, I see no license plate here, maybe its just hidden and I cant see it - so i'll just write a ticket under the improperly displayed section"

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt

Last edited by skidmark; 06-09-2009 at 06:26 AM. Reason: Language and content
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 05:50 PM   #21
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

If i'm the cop writing the tix, here's my thought process:

"stupid idiot is too stupid to take the first tix as a warning, let's charge him this time with the one comes with bigger fine .."

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL9000 View Post
this is the internet and everyone knows better about what happened sitting behind a desk than the people who are actually involved.
buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 06:12 PM   #22
The "You'd Know" Moderator

Call the officer up and ask him the reissue the ticket under the other section.

Ezekiel 25:17. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.
impactX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 06:39 PM   #23
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,109 Times in 299 Posts
IMO, the OP should have gotten a ticket of $109 instead of $196 because he didn't have his front plate. Despite the fact that him not having a front plate is at fault as well, he did not "improperly" display his front plate and should be charged correctly. The front plate is not physically on the car. Just my 2cents.
124Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 09:46 PM   #24
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

all you people that thinks he should pay the extra 87 dollars just because he had a ticket before are idiots. Maybe icbc should start charging you guys more after your first speeding ticket, cause after all you guys didn't learn your lesson the first time. the cop obviously wrote the wrong ticket for you, so you should either phone up the cop and get him to rewrite a new one or dispute it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.attack View Post
either way in the end you did not properly or at all display a plate. why is it that you even think you deserve a lesser ticket.. im not trying to attack you but this is the reason that people think ricers are idiots! they do things to modify their cars that make them obviously illegal and also unsafe. There is no excuse for this. come on be responsible when modding your car!
Because not PROPERLY displaying it and not displaying it at all is under two different sections, its like comparing a regular speeding ticket to an excessive speeding ticket.

Last edited by 46_valentinor; 06-11-2009 at 09:53 PM.
46_valentinor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:02 PM   #25
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,307 Times in 1,775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by r6_4life View Post
all you people that thinks he should pay the extra 87 dollars just because he had a ticket before are idiots. Maybe icbc should start charging you guys more after your first speeding ticket, cause after all you guys didn't learn your lesson the first time. the cop obviously wrote the wrong ticket for you, so you should either phone up the cop and get him to rewrite a new one or dispute it.

Because not PROPERLY displaying it and not displaying it at all is under two different sections, its like comparing a regular speeding ticket to an excessive speeding ticket.
Your logic didn't really work out there.

For example, if you have your class 7N license and you didn't put up the sign and got pulled over, you can be given one of two tickets. You can be given "Driving contrary to restrictions" or "failure to display N sign".

So no, it isn't like comparing it to a regular speeding ticket to a excessive speeding ticket. It is like giving the driving contrary to restrictions to failure to display N.

BTW, ICBC does charge more if you get enough tickets. In fact, they like doing that so much there is even a program for those drivers.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote