REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Got a ticket for improper display of front plate,But i dont have a front plate (https://www.revscene.net/forums/578403-got-ticket-improper-display-front-plate-but-i-dont-have-front-plate.html)

03c0upe 06-07-2009 04:49 PM

Got a ticket for improper display of front plate,But i dont have a front plate

I just got a ticket for improper display of front plate but i actually dont even have a plate at all. I guess i can dispute the amount and get it lowered to $109 which is not having a plate at all? How could i prove this, i did get a ticket last month for $109 for no front plate, i guess i can use that ticket as proof that i never had a front plate????

Soundy 06-07-2009 08:54 PM

The bigger question is, why didn't you learn your lesson with the first ticket, and properly attach your plate then?

Don't expect any sympathy from the cop, the judge, or from RS.

Qmx323 06-07-2009 09:16 PM

Honestly man? Just put your damn plates on.

greendb7 06-07-2009 09:32 PM

I don't even get exactly what you're asking, you're wondering what you can say to get your ticket reduced?

03c0upe 06-07-2009 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greendb7 (Post 6455788)
I don't even get exactly what you're asking, you're wondering what you can say to get your ticket reduced?

im wondering what i can do to pay 109 instead of $200. i got ticketed for the wrong thing. Thats what im wondering

03c0upe 06-07-2009 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundy (Post 6455747)
The bigger question is, why didn't you learn your lesson with the first ticket, and properly attach your plate then?

Don't expect any sympathy from the cop, the judge, or from RS.

im not expecting sympathy from rs.
im expecting sympathy from the judge:thumbsup:

CRS 06-07-2009 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 03c0upe (Post 6455806)
im not expecting sympathy from rs.
im expecting sympathy from the judge:thumbsup:

Highly doubt you'll get either.

Think about it, you didn't put on the license plate after you've been given a ticket. Now that you received another ticket, you're disputing it because you didn't comply with the first ticket.

This is like spitting it in their face and shitting in their food and calling it chocolate cake.

Soundy 06-07-2009 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRS (Post 6455817)
Highly doubt you'll get either.

Think about it, you didn't put on the license plate after you've been given a ticket. Now that you received another ticket, you're disputing it because you didn't comply with the first ticket.

Can you just see the exchange with the judge?

03c0upe: "See, I have proof that my plate WASN'T improperly attached, but it actually wasn't there at all... see, I got an earlier ticket for not having it!"
JJP: "So, let me get this straight, you got a ticket for it, so you KNOW that the law REQUIRES you to have the front plate... but you didn't put it on? Why would you not put it on at that point?"
03c0upe: " ..... "

Quote:

This is like spitting it in their face and shitting in their food and calling it chocolate cake.
Two ricers one plate??? :haha:

Raid3n 06-07-2009 10:30 PM

while i do think he's a bit dense for not getting the hint the first time, he may have a legitimate defense for dispute.

the ticket is for display of plate, while the wording is a bit ambiguous, it could be said that he couldn't have improperly displayed the plate, as it wasn't displayed at all. and the wording could imply that the plate is there, but not displayed in the prescribed manner (i.e. in the window, or bent under the front lip)

Five-Oh 06-07-2009 10:49 PM

You have a legitimate defense as you were charged under the wrong section. But just put a front plate on your car.

Soundy 06-08-2009 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Five-Oh (Post 6455890)
You have a legitimate defense as you were charged under the wrong section. But just put a front plate on your car.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raid3n (Post 6455866)
while i do think he's a bit dense for not getting the hint the first time, he may have a legitimate defense for dispute.

the ticket is for display of plate, while the wording is a bit ambiguous, it could be said that he couldn't have improperly displayed the plate, as it wasn't displayed at all. and the wording could imply that the plate is there, but not displayed in the prescribed manner (i.e. in the window, or bent under the front lip)

I'd think if he was going to enter this dispute, it would be a good idea NOT to bring up the first ticket. As Raid3n points out, the "improper display" charge COULD be interpreted as not displaying the plate at all, so this is an instance where the greater charge COULD be applied, even if it normally isn't.

Arguing the wrong section on its own merits could work... but bringing up that one has been recently busted on the same offense and hasn't learned one's lesson from it will likely not inspire the JJP to accept the more favorable interpretation.

zulutango 06-08-2009 08:38 AM

Number plates in horizontal position
3.02 A number plate shall at all times be securely fastened in a horizontal position to the vehicle for which it is issued.

Plates to be unobstructed
3.03 A number plate must be kept entirely unobstructed and free from dirt or foreign material, so that the numbers and letters on it may be plainly seen and read at all times and so that the numbers and letters may be accurately photographed using a speed monitoring device or traffic light safety device prescribed under section 83.1 of the Act.

Which section were you charged with?

03c0upe 06-08-2009 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Five-Oh (Post 6455890)

What would my defense be? Lets say not mentioning my prior ticket for the same thing?

Quote:

Originally Posted by zulutango (Post 6456212)
Number plates in horizontal position
3.02 A number plate shall at all times be securely fastened in a horizontal position to the vehicle for which it is issued.

Plates to be unobstructed
3.03 A number plate must be kept entirely unobstructed and free from dirt or foreign material, so that the numbers and letters on it may be plainly seen and read at all times and so that the numbers and letters may be accurately photographed using a speed monitoring device or traffic light safety device prescribed under section 83.1 of the Act.

Which section were you charged with?

"3.02 improper display of plate" thats what said on my ticket.

03c0upe 06-08-2009 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundy (Post 6455847)
Can you just see the exchange with the judge?

03c0upe: "See, I have proof that my plate WASN'T improperly attached, but it actually wasn't there at all... see, I got an earlier ticket for not having it!"
JJP: "So, let me get this straight, you got a ticket for it, so you KNOW that the law REQUIRES you to have the front plate... but you didn't put it on? Why would you not put it on at that point?"
03c0upe: " ..... "

Two ricers one plate??? :haha:

Doesnt mean the cop can give me a ticket for the wrong thing.

sonick 06-08-2009 03:37 PM

lol this is awesome.

It's like getting busted for possession and then incorrectly getting busted for drinking and driving, and disputing the DUI with the defense: "Your honour, I was NOT drunk, I was HIGH."

zulutango 06-08-2009 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 03c0upe (Post 6456723)
What would my defense be? Lets say not mentioning my prior ticket for the same thing?

"3.02 improper display of plate" thats what said on my ticket.

"3.02 A number plate shall at all times be securely fastened in a horizontal position to the vehicle for which it is issued. "

"Mr X...was your plate at all times securely fastened in a horizontal position to the vehicle for which it was issued?"

"No it was not...in fact it was not even on the vehicle"..."

Guilty! See the clerk in the court office on your way out."

03c0upe 06-08-2009 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zulutango (Post 6456812)
"3.02 A number plate shall at all times be securely fastened in a horizontal position to the vehicle for which it is issued. "

"Mr X...was your plate at all times securely fastened in a horizontal position to the vehicle for which it was issued?"

"No it was not...in fact it was not even on the vehicle"..."

Guilty! See the clerk in the court office on your way out."

Yes, so hopefully judge will reduce the find to $109 instead of $196!! Because not having a plate at all has a fine of $109 compared to having a plate on the dash is $196. I did not have a plate at all

r.attack 06-08-2009 05:18 PM

MAN UP

either way in the end you did not properly or at all display a plate. why is it that you even think you deserve a lesser ticket.. im not trying to attack you but this is the reason that people think ricers are idiots! they do things to modify their cars that make them obviously illegal and also unsafe. There is no excuse for this. come on be responsible when modding your car!

wing_woo 06-08-2009 07:27 PM

I'm one who is totally for front plates and I wish police would crack down more on those who don't put one on properly or at all. My friend's car was hit when it was parked in front of his house. They caught the hit n run driver because his front plate was imprinted on his rear bumper. So yeah, I personally have no pity on people who don't have front plates.

BTW, why don't you have a front plate?

tiger_handheld 06-08-2009 07:44 PM

If i'm the cop writing the tix, here's my thought process:

"Hmmm, I see no license plate here, maybe its just hidden and I cant see it - so i'll just write a ticket under the improperly displayed section"

buddy 06-11-2009 05:50 PM

If i'm the cop writing the tix, here's my thought process:

"stupid idiot is too stupid to take the first tix as a warning, let's charge him this time with the one comes with bigger fine .."

impactX 06-11-2009 06:12 PM

Call the officer up and ask him the reissue the ticket under the other section.

124Y 06-11-2009 06:39 PM

IMO, the OP should have gotten a ticket of $109 instead of $196 because he didn't have his front plate. Despite the fact that him not having a front plate is at fault as well, he did not "improperly" display his front plate and should be charged correctly. The front plate is not physically on the car. Just my 2cents.

46_valentinor 06-11-2009 09:46 PM

all you people that thinks he should pay the extra 87 dollars just because he had a ticket before are idiots. Maybe icbc should start charging you guys more after your first speeding ticket, cause after all you guys didn't learn your lesson the first time. the cop obviously wrote the wrong ticket for you, so you should either phone up the cop and get him to rewrite a new one or dispute it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by r.attack (Post 6456885)
either way in the end you did not properly or at all display a plate. why is it that you even think you deserve a lesser ticket.. im not trying to attack you but this is the reason that people think ricers are idiots! they do things to modify their cars that make them obviously illegal and also unsafe. There is no excuse for this. come on be responsible when modding your car!

Because not PROPERLY displaying it and not displaying it at all is under two different sections, its like comparing a regular speeding ticket to an excessive speeding ticket.

CRS 06-11-2009 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by r6_4life (Post 6462038)
all you people that thinks he should pay the extra 87 dollars just because he had a ticket before are idiots. Maybe icbc should start charging you guys more after your first speeding ticket, cause after all you guys didn't learn your lesson the first time. the cop obviously wrote the wrong ticket for you, so you should either phone up the cop and get him to rewrite a new one or dispute it.

Because not PROPERLY displaying it and not displaying it at all is under two different sections, its like comparing a regular speeding ticket to an excessive speeding ticket.

Your logic didn't really work out there.

For example, if you have your class 7N license and you didn't put up the sign and got pulled over, you can be given one of two tickets. You can be given "Driving contrary to restrictions" or "failure to display N sign".

So no, it isn't like comparing it to a regular speeding ticket to a excessive speeding ticket. It is like giving the driving contrary to restrictions to failure to display N.

BTW, ICBC does charge more if you get enough tickets. In fact, they like doing that so much there is even a program for those drivers.