REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 06-07-2009, 09:52 PM   #1
Banned (BBM)

Best Place to shop for groceries?

I just moved to new Westminster and Im looking for the best bang for my buck when It comes to buying fruits,veggies,meat,bread. Is there local markets in the area? Im forced to buy at Safeway because its walking distance. Their prices are ridiculous. Im new to cooking rice and I would also like to know what is the most affordable and tasty rice to buy.

Im willing to make the trip to richmond if the prices are better there.

thanks!
Advertisement
chileanwinehous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 10:52 PM   #2
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Safeway is going to be the most expensive place to buy fruits and veggies.
Not sure where in New West you are, but for the freshest produce, you can take a look at Langley Farm Market. They have one near Kingsway and 10th ave I believe.
I think there might be a Kins Farm or 2 near you as well.

If you can drive to Ditchmond, try Cho's farm inside Aberdeen or Supermarket 2000 in the same mini mall as the second Jack's loft.

All these stores have good turn over so the produce is pretty fresh, and their prices are reasonable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 11:20 PM   #3
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Try Save on Foods ...the closest one I can think of to New West is the one on kingsway at highgate village, which is pretty much near the boundary btwn burnaby and new west.
keifun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:24 AM   #4
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

SUPERSTORE

can't go wrong with the prices there..
Marioo1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 12:31 PM   #5
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
if your willing to drive out to richmond, 2 road and blundell.

butcher and farmers market right next door to eachotehr.

get the lamb chops 2 dollars a piece can't go wrong.
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 12:52 PM   #6
RS Veteran

produce - Langley Farm Market....or Kin's Farm Market in City Square New West.

for other goods, not too sure except for IGA near the bottom of 12th or Safeway

Need computer-related Help?? Affordable rates and on-site. Quality work. Fully qualified, I am a professional certified computer technologist with over 15+yrs experience on various platforms/hardware/software while working @ a Fortune 500 company. MSN: talon001@hotmail.com Email: allenm604@gmail.com
SiR001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 12:55 PM   #7
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Red Apple on east hastings has great and cheap produce

I also shop at costco for boxed salads and pineapples..
Old 06-21-2009, 09:19 AM   #8
Banned By Establishment

Superstore if you don't mind the lineups. WE go to the one in RIchmond over the one in Metrotown due to fresher produce
racerman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 12:21 PM   #9
VLS Moderator

Thanked 2,591 Times in 832 Posts
The Q?
R.I.P. 1989 Acura Legend Coupe LS.
Senna4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 01:40 PM   #10
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,574 Times in 4,294 Posts
Costco is the best place or Super Wallamrt
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 02:09 PM   #11
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,123 Posts
There's a difference between groceries and produce. Superstore isn't a good place to shop for veggies, fruits, etc. because usually prices are higher and the quality much lower than what you would get at a mom-and-pop market. I will admit that they have the occasional good deal on grapes or something like that (1.29/lb), but in general, I would stay away from that place if buying just produce. Save-on and Safeway's produce is better, but again, the prices are higher unless they have specials.

Langley Farm Market is an excellent place, particularly if you catch something on sale. I miss the location at Metrotown as the New West one is a little far for me. They regularly have seasonal produce at prices that are cheaper than the competition. Kin's has good produce as well, though I find that it is pricier than the equivalent at Langley Farm Market.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 01:20 PM   #12
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Superstore is not too far from where you are so I'd go there for most of my groceries... tbere's also a Costco just on Production Way in Burnaby... you can't go wrong with Costco! The membership is worth it!
Old 07-02-2009, 04:53 PM   #13
Banned (ABWS)

if you live in the west end check out dennis' on denman behind the shoppers drug mart... they are owned by the same company as superstore
vancitysale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 11:29 AM   #14
My homepage has been set to RS

Superstore is great for everything aside from produce. For produce go to a farm market.
Liquid_o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 02:48 PM   #15
Need to Seek Professional Help

costco or walmart supercenter.
Old 07-06-2009, 01:55 PM   #16
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Like most have said superstore is the best for boxed, canned, condiments and things like that. Fruit and Vegetables from the fruit/veggie markets and meat from the butcher is the way to go IMO no matter what city you live in.

Superstores regular prices are equal to or less then Safeway and Save on Foods sale prices. IGA is completely retarded when it comes to pricing you'd have to be nuts to shop there regularly for groceries.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 08:55 AM   #17
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chileanwinehous View Post
I just moved to new Westminster and Im looking for the best bang for my buck when It comes to buying fruits,veggies,meat,bread. Is there local markets in the area? Im forced to buy at Safeway because its walking distance. Their prices are ridiculous. Im new to cooking rice and I would also like to know what is the most affordable and tasty rice to buy.

Im willing to make the trip to richmond if the prices are better there.

thanks!
For rice, get Thai Jasmine AAA grade rice, and buy from Rice World in Richmond (Garden City Way) or any place in Chinatown - you can get a massive 20KG sack for like $30ish that will last a family of 4 about half a year, 2 meals a day.
achiam is offline   Reply With Quote