REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Suspension, Brakes , Wheels & Tires Tech

Suspension, Brakes , Wheels & Tires Tech THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Suspension components, brakes, Wheels and Tires. All things related to how your car handles...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2009, 09:19 PM   #1
Need my Daily Fix of RS
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: vancouvr
Posts: 255
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
How to remove stain on rims (pics inside)

Hello readers

I got a good deal on some wheels a while ago and tried to clean them up to the best of my ability. There are still a couple droplet marks that seem to stain the wheel. The stains look like dried up water droplet marks

1.) Does anybody know what it is and where it comes from?
2.) Is there any way to remove this stain?

Here are some pics of what I am talking about

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...boi/stain1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...boi/stain2.jpg
Advertisement
__________________
andrew

Last edited by andrewboi; 06-08-2009 at 09:34 PM.
andrewboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:59 PM   #2
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled
 
lexluthor09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,721
Thanked 80 Times in 33 Posts
Do you use tire shine by any chance?
Do you use these rims in the winter by any chance?
Do you not dry your rims after a car wash?

Could be any of the 3. It should come off with some simple green.
lexluthor09 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-09-2009, 11:43 AM   #3
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon
 
q0192837465's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 7,760
Thanked 375 Times in 181 Posts
in for more info. My wheels have stains similar to the OP's.
__________________
Ignorance is bliss

How I wish I can remain ignorant, why do I know so much?
q0192837465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 12:19 PM   #4
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Surrey, BC
Posts: 1,700
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Well I had very simular stain's on my Echo that I just picked up. What I did was take the wheels off of the car that way it was easier to work with

Is the wheel painted in the section where you have your spots or is it polished??? Does it feel like overspray (from a spray can or something)?

1. Clean them with some dish soap and warm water with a soft scrub brush getting into the groves and such.
2. Mother's FX wheel cleaner with a sponge and scrub away.
3. If its still there some cleaner wax would do the trick if its painted.... if its polished brake out the wheel polish
4. After its all clean and such wax your wheels!!

If you have a Mr. Clean Magic eraser that might work also

Last edited by whitescirocco; 06-09-2009 at 12:24 PM.
whitescirocco is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-09-2009, 05:43 PM   #5
Need my Daily Fix of RS
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: vancouvr
Posts: 255
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexluthor09 View Post
Do you use tire shine by any chance?
Do you use these rims in the winter by any chance?
Do you not dry your rims after a car wash?

Could be any of the 3. It should come off with some simple green.
I got these rims recently so I don't know how the previous owner cared for them - I will try some simple green and see

Thanks =D
__________________
andrew
andrewboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 05:45 PM   #6
Need my Daily Fix of RS
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: vancouvr
Posts: 255
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitescirocco View Post
Well I had very simular stain's on my Echo that I just picked up. What I did was take the wheels off of the car that way it was easier to work with

Is the wheel painted in the section where you have your spots or is it polished??? Does it feel like overspray (from a spray can or something)?

1. Clean them with some dish soap and warm water with a soft scrub brush getting into the groves and such.
2. Mother's FX wheel cleaner with a sponge and scrub away.
3. If its still there some cleaner wax would do the trick if its painted.... if its polished brake out the wheel polish
4. After its all clean and such wax your wheels!!

If you have a Mr. Clean Magic eraser that might work also
the stains are on where the rims are painted - I already tried dish soap and warm water and it doesnt come off - it feels like its permanently inked into the paint on the rims.

I will try your other suggestions - thanks for the tips!

Any others?
__________________
andrew
andrewboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 08:48 AM   #7
I am Hook'd on RS
 
j1mmyi3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 63
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i have soo many scuffs on my rims it sucks
j1mmyi3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 12:07 PM   #8
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Surrey, BC
Posts: 1,700
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewboi View Post
the stains are on where the rims are painted - I already tried dish soap and warm water and it doesnt come off - it feels like its permanently inked into the paint on the rims.

I will try your other suggestions - thanks for the tips!

Any others?
If the marks are on painted surface try using a cut polish on it That might help
whitescirocco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 11:15 PM   #9
Oh goodie, 5 posts already!
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Richmond
Posts: 7
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
they look like acetone spots. dealers use it to clean rims with it. Some detail places do too.

I could be wrong tho...Id have to see the wheel and not in a picture. If it's not acetone i would try Wax and Grease remover....should be available at any painters store.
fast_ryduh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net