REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > HealthCare & Wellness

HealthCare & Wellness Breaking the Chains of Addiction. The Last Door Recovery Society
Mature discussion surrounding important health issues and concerns. Alternative therapies, healthcare questions, discussion of community resources, peer support help, group therapy, etc.

Old 06-09-2009, 11:25 PM   #1
noob

How much is too much alcohol?

Is drinking a beer everyday really bad for your health?
I don't know why but lately I've been drinking a lot.
For the past month or so I've been drinking at least a can/bottle of beer a week and on weekends really hard liquor. Should I give my liver a rest? I know drinking too much in the long run will affect my health.

AsBannedAsItGets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 12:09 AM   #2
I subscribe to the Revscene NWS thread(s)

I don't think 1 beer a day would be that bad, but if you have been drinking every single day non-stop... I don't think that's good. everyone handles alcohol differently. If you are pondering about your drinking habits, chances are your body is telling you to ease up on the drinking.

and you gotta find out what is causing you to drink that much.

its like you are trying to numb of something. find out what it is and get to the root of the problem.
ZhangFei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 12:20 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsRealAsItGets View Post
Is drinking a beer everyday really bad for your health?
I don't know why but lately I've been drinking a lot.
For the past month or so I've been drinking at least a can/bottle of beer a week and on weekends really hard liquor. Should I give my liver a rest? I know drinking too much in the long run will affect my health.
LOL drinking 1 beer a week is NOT a lot, it's nothing...it will make no difference to your liver.

10/week is starting to get a bit much, but nothing unusual if you're young

20+/week... now you might have a problem.

How long has this habit been going on for? I wouldn't worry about it too much, you're only young once. Party it up while you can...you'll get bored of it soon enough anyways.

REVscene.net - Vancouver's #1 Automotive Forum and Classified's Site!

Interested in advertising with REVSCENE? Join our roster of Brian Jessel BMW, EBISU Robson, Blitz Gear, Soundworks, and dozens of the Lower Mainlands BUSIEST and most SUCCESSFUL small and medium businesses! Let us take you to the next level with our Incredibly affordable and effective packages Advertisement@revscene.net
CanadaGoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 09:02 AM   #4
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,456 Times in 989 Posts
1 a week? i think you're overreacting.
you're considered an alcoholic if you probably drink at least a six pack a day.
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 04:53 PM   #5
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

not too much when you can still ask yourself that question ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL9000 View Post
this is the internet and everyone knows better about what happened sitting behind a desk than the people who are actually involved.
buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 04:59 PM   #6
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E N D L E S S View Post
LOL drinking 1 beer a week is NOT a lot, it's nothing...it will make no difference to your liver.

10/week is starting to get a bit much, but nothing unusual if you're young

20+/week... now you might have a problem.

How long has this habit been going on for? I wouldn't worry about it too much, you're only young once. Party it up while you can...you'll get bored of it soon enough anyways.
20 drinks a week is too much?
liu13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 05:02 PM   #7
2010 RS Top Food Critic Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy View Post

not too much when you can still ask yourself that question ..
haha yes.

well it's like is drinking a glass of wine a day bad? nope, it's actually said to be good for you and is encouraged....
K-Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 06:31 PM   #8
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

i have this one co-worker. hes an alcoholic. hes been drinking since he was in his early teen's and now he is in his mid 50's. he told me his doctor said. if he stops drinking. he might die. lol. i wasnt sure if he was serious, but thats what everyone was telling me about him too.

for lunch, in his "water bottle" ii believe it's vodka mixed with water lol.
scrawny guy but good worker.
DavidNguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 09:12 PM   #9
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,170 Times in 1,552 Posts
^^^

He might be physically hooked. Alcoholics can get major withdrawal if they stop drinking.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:35 PM   #10
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,803 Times in 1,765 Posts
I would say 2-3 beers spread out over the course of an evening is nothing... On a hot sunny day, if I'm working out in the yard 2-3 beers hardly even gets a buzz going for me.

The center for disease control and prevention defines moderate drinking as 2 drinks per day for men.

Alcoholism is when you have to be drunk to function. IE: Drinking in the morning, before and during work... You're not drinking to enjoy the liquor, but drinking because you have to get drunk.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions

Last edited by Great68; 06-11-2009 at 10:41 PM.
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 10:15 AM   #11
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,456 Times in 989 Posts
i started drinking beer every day and sometimes its so unsatisfying. when you've done some housework and you're sweating and tired thats when its the most amazing thing ever. when you're just sitting there watching tv and you decide to grab a beer, its like, meh.... could have gone without it. now i know when i can cut back and not drink and when its friggin awesome... definitely something i dont need every day.
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 10:27 AM   #12
Banned By Establishment

You guys are weak. Beer is like 2% alchohol why not try Crown, Henessey, Smirnoff anything above 40% and you'll shortly realize when it's too much. One shot of Moonshine will get you wasted. It singes your nose hair when you smell it.
WHEYsted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 01:50 PM   #13
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonamehustla View Post
You guys are weak. Beer is like 2% alchohol why not try Crown, Henessey, Smirnoff anything above 40% and you'll shortly realize when it's too much. One shot of Moonshine will get you wasted. It singes your nose hair when you smell it.
Beer isn't 2%. I suppose you could be cool like my buddies old roomate and drink a 40+ of Vodka everyday for the last 4+ years only stopping for the night when you pass out. He obviously ain't weak so I guess he's strong. A good role model and someone I'd want my kids to emulate. If you're not drinking enough to piss your pants and not notice you aren't going nearly hard enough I guess? HARDCORE.........Loser!

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote