REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-10-2009, 11:16 PM   #1
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Bike Service and Brake Replacement

Just picked up a used 2005 Specialized Hardrock Comp Disc
what a difference in quality between a real bike and a sportschek bike

now, since i got it used, i want to get it tuned up and checked out before i continue riding. also, the rear brakes are 90% woren out. they are disc brakes, is it possible to just change the brake pad? or do i have to change the whole rotor?

i need recommendations of bike shops that do a good job. am i looking at ~$50 for a all check up? and how much should i expect to have my rear brakes fixed?

here are some pics of what i am talking about.

sorry for double posting. there's just way more traffic here
Advertisement
TRDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 01:55 AM   #2
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,645 Times in 446 Posts
mighty rider is a good shop
they have 2 shops
4th and burrard
or broadway and ontario
http://www.mightyriders.ca/
skiiipi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 02:31 AM   #3
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,259 Times in 439 Posts
for a tune up and rear brakes changed you're looking at $100 at least if you go to any bike shop. AND there is no way you will get your bike tuned for at least a month.. all bike shops in van have at least a month wait list since bike season has started...

if you don't mind. how much did you end up paying for it?
TheKingdom2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 05:25 AM   #4
The "You'd Know" Moderator

What's wrong with the rear?

Ezekiel 25:17. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.
impactX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 06:49 AM   #5
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by impactX View Post
What's wrong with the rear?
his pads are 90% worn.

mighty is good. usually first few changes dont need rotors changed. but just give it a good inspection, if you see lots of deep scratches, or even hairline cracks, is best to get it replaced since you dont want a cracked rotor , especially the rear when you going fast!
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 11:45 AM   #6
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

i've been tuning my Downhill bikes for over 6 years. i can help you tune your bike .

PS: you can get some "okay" pads at MEC for $5.75 - $14. i say okay because you won't need anything more hardcore for a bike like that.
bikerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 03:53 PM   #7
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,112 Times in 264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mx703 View Post
for a tune up and rear brakes changed you're looking at $100 at least if you go to any bike shop. AND there is no way you will get your bike tuned for at least a month.. all bike shops in van have at least a month wait list since bike season has started...

if you don't mind. how much did you end up paying for it?
+1
but, google is your friend and swapping rotors and pads only requires a torx wrench and needle nose pliers

figure 2 sets of pads at around $20 each
figure 2 rotors at around $20 each

you have mechanical disc brakes and they are so simple to adjust anyone who reads up on it can do it

undo a bolt, pull the cable, retighten bolt and you are done
Volvo-brickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 09:37 PM   #8
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

so i went to Bike Doctors and they asked for about $150 for a tune up and brake pad replacements.. ohly fuck.

mighty is mighty expensive as well...

anyone been to Dizzy Cycles on 4th ave? http://dizzy.smallboxsoftware.net/service.htm
I am thinking of doing the comprehensive plus for $74.99, it includes shitloads of things for that price. and probably another $50 or so for brake pads.
TRDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:02 PM   #9
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,112 Times in 264 Posts
http://www.jimlangley.net/wrench/rrderadjust.htm

http://www.jimlangley.net/wrench/ftderadjust.htm

http://www.jimlangley.net/wrench/cleandrivetrain.htm

http://www.hayesdiscbrake.com/pdf/MX...angEnglish.pdf

Take the $74 from the labour and spend it on parts and a slurpee from 7-11 and call it a day.

"Tune Ups" from most shops are basically adjust derailers, adjust brakes, tighten a few bolts , smear some grease on the bottom bracket and calling it a day.
Volvo-brickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDood View Post
so i went to Bike Doctors and they asked for about $150 for a tune up and brake pad replacements.. ohly fuck.

mighty is mighty expensive as well...

anyone been to Dizzy Cycles on 4th ave? http://dizzy.smallboxsoftware.net/service.htm
I am thinking of doing the comprehensive plus for $74.99, it includes shitloads of things for that price. and probably another $50 or so for brake pads.
check out mighty riders
its across the street from dizzy
a tune up is around $50 + parts
Old 06-11-2009, 10:21 PM   #11

and for your rear brakes, pads/rotors will be around $30-40
but u get get a brand new BB5 Avid rotor which imo is better than the hayes that you have for $50-60, and thats comes with brand new rotor, caliper and pads
Old 06-11-2009, 10:22 PM   #12
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,259 Times in 439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerx View Post
i've been tuning my Downhill bikes for over 6 years. i can help you tune your bike .
how much do you charge???

btw...
i've tried to figure out how to tune a bike, but reading how to's is impossible for me...
i found this site.. it has VIDEO''s =D

http://bicycletutor.com/guide/

i have yet to try it because i've been busy but i'll probably work on my bike this weekend.

btw. can someone recommend what type of lube to use? thanks.
TheKingdom2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:28 PM   #13
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Seriously, do the maintenance work yourself.
Adjsuting the front and rear derailer is a very simple twist of the adjuster, assuming they need to be adjusted.

Go to MEC and buy the tools you will need, like special wrenches to take apart the hubs on the wheels to repack them with new grease.

If the bike is higher mileage or taken off-road a lot, then look at getting a new chain, rear sprocket, and front rings. You don't want the chain to skip due to the rear sprockets being worn out when you are riding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote