REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Suspension, Brakes , Wheels & Tires Tech

Suspension, Brakes , Wheels & Tires Tech THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Suspension components, brakes, Wheels and Tires. All things related to how your car handles...

Old 06-11-2009, 05:59 PM   #1
My homepage has been set to RS

n00b question re: coilovers

I've been doing some research over the net and from what I understand, the main difference between coilovers and aftermarket springs+shocks is that you can adjust the height of the former, whereas springs you get what you get and can't adjust.

I have 3 n00by questions.

1. how much can i adjust? Does "adjustable" mean that for the warmer seasons, I can lower my car with a coilover to a certain amount, and then for the wintertime, I can adjust the height back to OEM STOCK HEIGHT? Or I can only adjust up and down to a certain degree, never back to stock height with the coilover?

2. I'm looking at this for a 97-01 (5th gen) prelude. I realize no matter what I get, it will be stiffer than stock height, but anyone know a good, reputable name brand coilover or spring/strut combo for this car that's not AS stiff as others? I'd like to go as comfortable as possible with a 1.5-2" drop.

3. From what I understand you don't need a camber kit unless it's a 2"+ drop. Is this correct, or way off??

Any help would be appreciated!
Advertisement
drunkrussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 09:48 PM   #2
Rs has made me the man i am today!

This is coming from my knowledge of 240sx's, so it might be different but....

1. Depends on the coilover. Some entry level ones, you can drop about 1.5" while others can totally slam your chassis to the ground. For OEM stock height, I would say most likely YES, but then again, check the manufacturer. Every time you adjust height, you should get alignment done.

2. If you want something comfortable, I would suggest spring/struts. Most (not all) coilovers will be a good amount stiffer than stock. It depends on the manufacturer. I would suggest you take a ride in a friend's car with coils and see how you like it first.

3. Depends on the car, but I would recommend it.
EndLeSS8 is offline   Reply With Quote