REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:02 PM   #1
I STILL don't get it

Rear ender ticket?

So I recently rear-ended someone. No one was hurt on scene and damage to both our cars looked under 1000 so the police were not called; we just exchanged information and left. Accident was completely my fault, I know I was dumb as crap.

Still on my N with about 2 months left. I've had it suspended before, so as of now I'm still on the probation period aka zero tolerance.
So should I expect a ticket for driving without due care (or something similar) and thus expect to lose my license again?

As of a couple days after the accident the lady I hit has claimed injury, if that makes any difference. ICBC has told me that whether or not her injury claim will go through won't be decided on until around August.

Thanks in advance!
Advertisement

Last edited by wstce92; 06-11-2009 at 11:26 PM.
wstce92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 06:42 AM   #2
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
You know, just to protect yourself, it's always a good idea to report it to ICBC. A tiny scratch on a fender or bumper can cost $1000...let alone 2 tiny scratches. If the damage was so small there will be little chance of her claiming inujries. I was hit by a car, my vehicle was spun 180 degrees, my passenger re-injured a pre-existing back condition but because the damage cost about $500 to fix, there was no injury or suffering payout. The reason the damage was so small was that I was driving a 1979 Mini and the car was so light that the impact on the rear wheel well just spun the car on wet pavement. The driver was carged for unsafe backing but no cash award at all. ICBC has a damage threshold that you must exceed for them to even consider an injury claim.

You might be charged with following too close or due care...but it may be difficult with no Polce at the scene or other evidence. The statement you are required to give cannot be used against you in traffic court.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 09:36 AM   #3
I STILL don't get it

yes, we both filed a claim with ICBC after the accident, I wanted to take the option of paying for the damage myself, but since the lady I hit is claiming injury, if her injury goes through, I must go through ICBC.

Someone I know just scared me a bit, by telling me that since ICBC knows that I rear ended someone, and since they deemed it 100% my fault (which it is), that they can take away my license given that I'm on probation on my N. I just wanted to see if anyone knew whether or not that could happen.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:45 PM   #4
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

I don't think ICBC can do that. As for the injury, don't worry about that, because it's a low impact collision so they will not pay out any injury claims in that case. At least I'm assuming it is a low impact one since you say there's no damage to the cars.
wing_woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 05:46 PM   #5
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

You're fine, ICBC denied my claim the same way. I was rear ended over a year ago, $500 damage to my rear bumper, low impact collision. I've been suffering from a bad back since I was a teen and the little tap made it worse. I still have numbness in my fingertips from this accident over a year later. Because it was low impact, my injury claim was denied even after I told them that all I wanted them to do was to fix my car and cover my medical expenses, I wasn't looking for a payout. If my extended medical plan didn't include unlimited physio sessions, I'm screwed.
Old 06-12-2009, 06:35 PM   #6
Retired Traffic Cop

Unless you are convicted of a criminal code or MVA offence arising out of this, there are no penalty points to get and hence no licence prohibitions to worry about....

Learn more at DriveSmartBC
skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 09:10 PM   #7
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
Unless you are convicted of a criminal code or MVA offence arising out of this, there are no penalty points to get and hence no licence prohibitions to worry about....
But could I be convicted of a criminal code or MVA offence? If say her injury claim goes through. Then my rear ending her caused her injury.