REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 06-12-2009, 06:29 PM   #1
Banned By Establishment

2011 370Z Hybrid

Quote:

According to Japanese sources, Nissan is working on a Hybrid power system for larger high performance cars and will introduce it on the new Fuga Sedan (our Infiniti M35/M45) which is due in the 2009 as a 2010 model. This hybrid system will be offered in the new Fuga one year after its launch as a 2011 model. Nissan is also planning to use this system for a hybrid version of the 370Z sports car a little later in 2011. This will make the 370Z the first high performance hybrid sports car on the market. Infinti is also looking to enter the hybrid sports car market with a car called the Essence which is currently a concept car.

No longer content to use a borrowed system adopted from Toyota as in the hybrid Altima, Nissan has been hard at work to develop its own system to leapfrog Toyota’s technology. The Nissan 370Z hybrid will probably be powered by a high tech version of the VQ37VHR engine displacing 3.7 liters with direct injection, CVTC control of both the intake and exhaust cams and VVEL of the intake cam combined with a new super efficient electric motor. It is rumored that the hybrid drive system will use two separate clutches, one between the internal combustion engine and the electric motor with another clutch between the electric motor and the drive wheels. This system will optimize performance and efficiency depending on operating conditions. The new hybrid system will also feature a full plug in EV mode for city type conditions where charging stations are available to maximize economy.

The transmission is allegedly a modified version of the 370Z’s seven speed automatic transmission with an electric motor in the position where the torque converter currently resides. One electronically controlled clutch is located behind the electric motor and another in front of it allowing the VQ engine to run coupled to the electric motor or decoupled with the car running purely on electrical power. The revolutionary electric motor that could help power the hybrid 370Z is called the 3D motor. The 3D motor is developed by a joint effort by Nissan and Fujitsu General. It is a slim disk shaped motor that has twice the torque of a conventional motor the same size and weight. The motor gets its name from Nissan’s 3D analysis of the magnetic fields of the configuration which enabled optimized placement of the electromagnetic coils and permanent magnets in the periphery around the armature. The electric motors disk-like layout makes the torque converter replacement layout very logical.

The possible ability to run the electric motor in series with the internal combustion engine means that this platform has some serious potential for outstanding straight line performance despite the fact that the batteries might add several hundred pounds to the weight of the car. The reason is that electric motors can make 100% of their torque from a standstill. The potential ability for the hybrid controls to add the electric motors estimated 100 lb/ft of torque instantly at any desired point of the powerband to the already potent output of the VQ37VHR is like adding an instant turbo or shot of Nitrous. Some versions of the 3D motor have already pumped out 280 hp and 390 lb/ft of torque.

Hopefully Nissan engineers will program the system to allow this sort of potential for sprints at the least. If too much fun depletes the battery, the car will still be fully functional on the big VQ engine. The Infiniti Essence Consept car reportedly gets almost 600 hp from its similar hybrid system although the VQ engine used in that car has twin turbos from the Skyline GTR grafted to its direct injection cylinder heads. Based on this, we think that a conservative estimate of 400 hp is possible for a hybrid 370Z. If the hybrid system adds another 300 lbs to the 370Z’s curb weight, you would still have a car that is about the same weight of the highly regarded Z32 300ZXTT with about 100 more hp and a better chassis and brakes! The hybrid 370Z would still be much lighter than the R35 Skyline GT-R.

The Hybrid 370Z will probably run on a compact, trunk mounted lithium ion battery pack built by a joint venture between Nissan and electronics giant NEC that has twice the energy density of conventional batteries such as the nickel metal hydride batteries found in most current hybrids. The new battery has a laminated construction which has more internal surface area of the storage grids.

A similar drive system is rumored to be in development for a possible Toyota Supra Replacement as well. Considering Toyota’s experience with hybrid technology in front engine rear drive vehicles, from Lexus to even race cars, this sounds plausible.

Currently, Techtom, a Japanese aftermarket electronics tuner has had some interesting and promising results tinkering with the hybrid drive system on a Prius, enabling much more aggressive application of power from both the electric and Internal combustion powerplants at once, waking up much more performance for this unexpected platform. With The Obama administrations new stringent CAFE standards on the horizon, this sort of electronic tuning may be our high performance future!

Basically, its going to have some silver thing on the front bumper and say Hybrid Z on the side. Pretty cool stuff

Source
Advertisement
BNR32_Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 07:50 PM   #2
Banned By Establishment

Waiting for the

---

never!!!

i will never fall to the electric whip!

cars MUST burn gAS!!!! XD
Shun Izaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 08:27 PM   #3
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
if only they had this 25 years ago, my Z31 drives like theres a hole in the gas tank, something like 14L/100km, although I never drive it lightly, and have only had it for about 2 months and only put about 1000km on it.

Still it's not gonna be as high performance as the regular Z34 I think, just because of the extra weight, No real enthusiast would buy this, I'd rather pay extra for something like a turbo instead of some Electric motor BS.
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 10:01 PM   #4
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,109 Times in 299 Posts
This looks like something an old retired man would buy.
124Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 11:19 PM   #5
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilvtofu View Post
if only they had this 25 years ago, my Z31 drives like theres a hole in the gas tank, something like 14L/100km, although I never drive it lightly, and have only had it for about 2 months and only put about 1000km on it.

Still it's not gonna be as high performance as the regular Z34 I think, just because of the extra weight, No real enthusiast would buy this, I'd rather pay extra for something like a turbo instead of some Electric motor BS.
electric turbo ftw! aahahahahaha

but a hybird z isn't a bad idea for a lot of posers this would be the best thing
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 11:42 PM   #6
Ye olde moderator

Thanked 1,278 Times in 390 Posts
There is probably a market for this but not for any of us here on Revscene. It'll be our hippie parents or aunts and uncles that want to save the world but at the same time are going through a mid-life crises.

Whether we like it or not....it is a step in the right (or inevitable) direction.

Sales and Installer at Certified Auto Sound
Maple Ridge, BC
orgasm_donor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 10:13 AM   #7
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,420 Times in 669 Posts
^

i think he got a point, eco-friendly mid life crisis
shenmecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 10:21 AM   #8
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

this i agree is a step in the right direction, people will change their minds as oil surpasses the 200$ per barrel mark in the not so distant future

watch n see

in the meantime i will enjoy my thirsty turbo'd gti-r while i can
ncrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 04:36 PM   #9
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
it's a right direction i think
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 06:11 PM   #10
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilvtofu View Post

lol i get 16L/100km. last tank was something like 17 lol
2005 Honda Jazz

BuySell Feedback
Quote:
"It's called Sex Panther by Odeon. It's illegal in nine countries... Yep, it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good ... They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time. "
Leopold Stotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 12:16 PM   #11
Banned By Establishment

yeah whats with middle aged people trying to save the world and going green?
Old 06-14-2009, 12:28 PM   #12
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
we can't keep using gasoline engine forever and there's nothing wrong with saving green
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 12:30 PM   #13
Ask me about how I answered the question "How fat is TOO fat?"

Thanked 4,122 Times in 1,141 Posts
if it can perform then i dont see a problem with it

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Current
e92 335i 6MT FBO
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
the guys over at lambo vancouver said there are 60-70 pre-orders already. don't quote me though.
The_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 12:44 PM   #14
Banned By Establishment

imagine the tuning parts of the future:

FS: HKS Lithium Ion engine kit

I have a Lithium Ion battery kit for sale. Item has been used for a few hundred KM, always charged over night, never ran for more than 3 hours without charging. This kit increases your engines power by 91 kW and expires in 20 years. Comes with 3 heavy duty coil magnets and insulation. Price: $15,000 firm