REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Automotive Detailing & Car Care Tech

Automotive Detailing & Car Care Tech THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Discussion on how to keep your car shining bright and make them heads turn..

Old 06-13-2009, 06:44 PM   #1
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Where to begin?

Hey guys just have a few questions. Im intrested in learning more about detailing like 911fanatic does, he does great work. Im looking into pickin up Porter Cable 7424 Random Orbital Polisher Kit and a few waxes to try. Ive always been good at detailing but have only really used the Mothers and meguires 3 step thing and just the standard gold class megires wax along with just a 8" random orbital buffer I picked up at Can Tire a few years back. I was just wondering if theres any good reads that would set me off on the right track. I see all these different products being used and have no idea what they do or do differently then the 3 step kinda process. Or even how you would even go about picking certain ones. Sorry for the nub questions just want to get off to a good start, any help is appreciated.
Advertisement
bcty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 07:45 PM   #2
Tech Team Mod

Start reading at: www.detailingbliss.com
There are sub-forums for specific things such as polish, LSP, engine, wash etc.
Rated B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 11:18 PM   #3
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated B View Post
Start reading at: www.detailingbliss.com
There are sub-forums for specific things such as polish, LSP, engine, wash etc.
+1

DB is an awesome forum, everybody there is nice and easy going.

You never really asked a question...other than what product does what but you didn't name anything. Let us know what you want to know and Ken will get back to you or one of us! Check out DB though, it's great
BrendanS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 07:21 AM   #4
Need to Seek Professional Help

Or you could just come down to my shop and play around with some stuff and see what you like.
911fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 09:11 AM   #5

Thanks for the awesome info so far. I checked out that forum and there was a lot of great info. I wish I could make it down to your shop to play around right now but living on the island with a newborn keeps you in one place for a bit haha. I didnt name anything because I didnt know where to begin and what steps to take DB forum was good and had a few really good videos. I still got some reading to do. I cant wait to get going on car car with some more professional products. I have a friends car thats just toast that really needs some attention that will be my first conquest. I know theres only so much you can do with a white car but any tips for polishing waxing a year old white paint to look its best. Like I said before I only really used the Mothers 3 step thing but I did pickup Meguires NXT 2.0 just to try it out since I've heard good things.
Old 06-14-2009, 11:44 AM   #6
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcty View Post
Thanks for the awesome info so far. I checked out that forum and there was a lot of great info. I wish I could make it down to your shop to play around right now but living on the island with a newborn keeps you in one place for a bit haha. I didnt name anything because I didnt know where to begin and what steps to take DB forum was good and had a few really good videos. I still got some reading to do. I cant wait to get going on car car with some more professional products. I have a friends car thats just toast that really needs some attention that will be my first conquest. I know theres only so much you can do with a white car but any tips for polishing waxing a year old white paint to look its best. Like I said before I only really used the Mothers 3 step thing but I did pickup Meguires NXT 2.0 just to try it out since I've heard good things.
Well if you ever are over here it would be a good idea to stop by Kens shop. Best way to learn is hands on when it comes to detailing. Anyways, the Mothers 3 Step I guess is a decent over the counter method. But of course there is way better methods. For washing this is what I break my wash steps down to.

Wash
-2.5 Gallon Buckets x2
(one for soap water, the other for rinse)

-2 Grit Guards
(stay at the bottom to prevent debris from floating up, if it did you would just be rubbing it on to your paint making a bigger mess)

-Wash media
(My favourite currently is my proline grout sponge that you can only find at Lowes in the states. It's $1.98 and super soft, lets debris out very well. You could also use a sheepskin wash mitt, or whatever you choose. But a sheepskin washmitt is probably the safest bet.)

-Shampoo
(for an over the counter product I love my Meguiars Gold Class car wash, great stuff. But my favourite shampoo that I've tried is Majestic Solutions Ultra Gloss. A lot of people like Poorboys Super Slick & Suds)

-Claying/Clay Bar
(You use this to remove contaminants on the paint washing doesnt remove. You use it along with a clay lubricant. You spray the area you're doing and then rub the clay bar over the paint gently. Makes the area nice and clean and ready for wax, sealant, or polish. I use Riccardo Yellow clay with good results and use Optimum No Rinse at the Claying dilution. The clay Ken carries (clay magic red & blue) work great as well.

Wheels/Tires:
-APC (All Purpose Cleaner)
( I use Majestic Solutions Super Green Stuff, people love P21S Total Autowash for tires/wheel wells, and a lot use P21S Wheel Gel for rims. Can't go wrong with any)

-Tire Brush
(I use a Meguiars Tire Brush to scrub the tires down when it's soaked with APC to get it ready for tire shine)
For the face or the rims I use an old wash sponge as it's the quickest way with the rims I wash, some use wheel brushes for the face, I don't. For the inside of the rims I use a Meguiars Wheel Brush, but most wheel brushes you find on detailing sites will work well. I've heard the new long reach wheel brushes Ken has in stock are great because they even get where the Caliper is. Check out his site, he has plenty to get you started.

-Tire Shine/Dressing
(I tried a product called Finish Kare aka FK108. It goes on pretty much goes on all plastics, vinyl, trims, rubber, wheel wells etc. But for tire shine specifically I've heard of good results from Black Fire Long Lasting Tire Shine, I think thats what it's called. You can also get this from Ken.)

-Windows
(I use Chemical Guys Ammonia Free Window Cleaner and it works great, don't use Windex. Find a real window cleaner and get a Window Microfiber towel. Otherwise the window cleaner will just streak.)

-Drying
(Make sure to use a quality Microfiber aka MF towel. Otherwise your just doing more damage. If you have a leaf blower gas or electric use it to blow off as much water as you can and then dry. That way you don't need more than one towel really, two at the max to dry a car. I use the big yellow Vroom towels you find at target, they are actually really soft and absorb well, but I haven't tried Kens towels but they felt great when he showed me them)

-Wax
(I use Collinite 845 purely because I have two bottles of it and it is a great long lasting wax. Not expensive either which is great. Next wax I'm buying is either Vics Red from Ken or Bilt Hamber Auto Balm from Ken. Whatever Ken has on his site are good products, he has used every product he lists so you can trust him, hes been at the business for 15 years.)

-Sealant
(I haven't used any but I've head excellent results from Menzerna Full Molecular Jacket, and Werkstat Acrylic Jet.)

-Microfiber Towels
(You can really never have to much, with MF towels it's all personal preference. I use cheap Wal-Mart towels all the way to the towels Ken has. I use the cheap towels for rims, engine bay, metal polishing, wheel wells, door jambs, interiors. Where you really shouldn't cheap out is for wax removing towels. They really pay off, I have Kens exclusive 530 towel and by far it is my favourite towel. To bad I only have one. Anyways, thats my favourite towel, I also have one Werkstat Plush Towel, works great and is extremely soft. I just like the 530 towel more, but like I said it's all personal preference. I would pick up 3 or 4 of the 530 and Werkstat Plus towel if you're ordering from Ken)

Let me know if you have any other questions, my best advice is to either stop by at Kens shop and he'll show you the ropes or read your ass off at DB. You learn so much there it's insane. Before you order, if you go order through Ken which I recommend because you can't go wrong with his products, give him a call when you order and see what he recommends. He's been at it for 15 years...13 more than I have
Old 06-14-2009, 02:05 PM   #7
How I Mod your mother

Yeah drive down to ken's shop, the best part is he's used every product he has there so he can tell you what to expect from each.
[19-07, 16:52] bloodmack: EB did u change my avatar and title?
Quote:
[19-07, 16:54] El Bastardo: bm i have no idea what you're talking about because i don't speak gorilla
!Yaminashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 05:45 PM   #8

Thanks for the great tips so far. I will pickup a few differnt towels when I order for sure. What are you guys liking right now as a prewax product to give the paint a lot of depth and gloss?
Old 06-14-2009, 06:50 PM   #9
Banned (ABWS)

Depending or not if you polish a pre-wax product isn't necessary. But if you do I've heard of good results with Werkstat Prime Carnuba.
http://autowerkesexclusive.com/produ...uba/index.html
Old 06-15-2009, 11:29 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcty View Post
Thanks for the great tips so far. I will pickup a few differnt towels when I order for sure. What are you guys liking right now as a prewax product to give the paint a lot of depth and gloss?
My favorite right now is the Raceglaze Pre Wax Cleaner. Goes on and comes off easier than anything else I've tried. You actually let it dry and then it wipes off very easily.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:13 PM   #11
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Good thread

We should use this as a sticky for all of us detailing noobs to refer to
Chairman Kaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 11:04 PM   #12

Great info guys you've all been a great help. Also a big thanks to Ken taking the time and talking to me on the phone and setting me off on the right start.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:42 AM   #13
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
i think ken needs to host RS detailing classes/bbq at his shop... oh wait sticky fingers from chicken wings might not be good for the paint
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 01:26 PM   #14
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
i think ken needs to host RS detailing classes/bbq at his shop... oh wait sticky fingers from chicken wings might not be good for the paint
he does without the bbq in a way. I think every month or so he has an open shop day where you can come out, try out some products and see what you like. It's a great way to learn. You don't even have to wait for those though, just call him up and pop by I'm sure he'll find time for you haha
Old 06-16-2009, 08:32 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfactor78 View Post
he does without the bbq in a way. I think every month or so he has an open shop day where you can come out, try out some products and see what you like. It's a great way to learn. You don't even have to wait for those though, just call him up and pop by I'm sure he'll find time for you haha
I was hoping to do exactly what xfactor said but with running the shop and the webstore its been somewhat crazy busy this year. I would like to host an open day where guys could pop by and try out the products and maybe even have a bbq! (after putting away all my stuff of course!) I'll keep everyone posted.
Old 06-17-2009, 04:40 AM   #16
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

does the pre-wax cleaner actally clean the paint or something? If I use clay-bar already, do I still have to use the cleaner wax?
like the mother step 1 cleaner wax....

Thanks
604_Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 12:24 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 604_Snooze View Post
does the pre-wax cleaner actally clean the paint or something? If I use clay-bar already, do I still have to use the cleaner wax?
like the mother step 1 cleaner wax....

Thanks
The whole point of a prewax cleaner is to get rid of any oils etc from claying or polishing that could affect your wax/sealants ability to bond to the surface.
Old 06-20-2009, 05:24 PM   #18

Few more questions regarding interior and washing. Whats everyone thoughts on foam cannons? They do look fun and could be semi useful, or is a good 2 bucket wash just as good? Also are you guys useing any special vaccumes to clean out the interior, or just a shop vac? Im sure most of us have cleaned our girl friends cars whats a good way to get hair out of carpets/seats, that stuff sticks to everything.
Old 06-20-2009, 05:51 PM   #19

Foam cannons are good as they help to remove all the loose dirt and grit from the cars surface BEFORE you actually take a mitt to it. Less dirt means less scratches. Shop vac will be fine but get yourself a pet hair brush. Lordco may have them or even a dog groomers. Send me a pm if you cant find one.
Old 06-20-2009, 11:00 PM   #20
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
wait... you guys don't wash your cars with sand paper? i use 3000 grit to give it that smooth shine

jokes aside i really got to start washing and learning about this... it'll save me a fortune
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 02:10 AM   #21
How I Mod your mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznboi128 View Post
wait... you guys don't wash your cars with sand paper? i use 3000 grit to give it that smooth shine

jokes aside i really got to start washing and learning about this... it'll save me a fortune
It can also be fun too
Ken, would you say foam cannons are good for every single wash, or is that taking it a little too far??
[19-07, 16:52] bloodmack: EB did u change my avatar and title?
Quote:
[19-07, 16:54] El Bastardo: bm i have no idea what you're talking about because i don't speak gorilla
!Yaminashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 10:08 AM   #22
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft View Post
It can also be fun too
Ken, would you say foam cannons are good for every single wash, or is that taking it a little too far??
it's definitely not going to do any harm if you do. It would just take you a lot longer to get everything set up, but it is a good idea. It'll take off as much debris and what not before you actually go at it with a mitt. So, no it's not a bad idea.
Old 06-21-2009, 10:49 AM   #23
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

I think they are overkill, ONR works just fine and its faster.
eFx[A2C] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 07:18 PM   #24

Every wash this time of year may be overkill. Depends how fanatical you are about your car. You can use soap in the foam cannon on a weekly basis to help soften and dislodge any grit without worrying about stripping wax. I've never tried ONR other than adding it to my wash bucket. Makes your wash solution extremely slippery.
Old 06-21-2009, 07:21 PM   #25
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911fanatic View Post
Every wash this time of year may be overkill. Depends how fanatical you are about your car. You can use soap in the foam cannon on a weekly basis to help soften and dislodge any grit without worrying about stripping wax. I've never tried ONR other than adding it to my wash bucket. Makes your wash solution extremely slippery.
So you have opened your ONR!