REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 06-14-2009, 09:21 PM   #1
d1
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Caught with catless exhaust?

I've searched but nothing came up. What are the consequences of getting caught without a cat?

I recently installed a test pipe and now my exhaust is FUUUU loud. It sounds good but if the fines/penalties are huge, I'd rather not risk it.
Advertisement
d1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 09:36 PM   #2
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
The fines and penalties are huge.

Fines start at $109, and drivers will also be forced to return the vehicle to the normal authorized noise level and undergo a full vehicle inspection, at their expense, to ensure it's done.

Owners who fail to comply with the inspection order will face a minimum fine of $598, have their licence plates seized and their vehicle impounded until it's brought into compliance.

Get a dog instead. You won't have this problem.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 10:21 PM   #3
RS Peace Officer

You could be issued a box 1 notice and order on the spot. What that means is your license plates are seized on the spot, you are on the hook for the tow bill, and you are not able to insure your vehicle again until it has passed inspection.

Chances of a police officer getting under your car and finding that you don't have a cat on there aren't that big, but I'd rather not risk it if I were you.
Five-Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 12:31 AM   #4
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-Oh View Post
Chances of a police officer getting under your car and finding that you don't have a cat on there aren't that big, but I'd rather not risk it if I were you.
That said, if your exhaust is stupidly loud without the cat, that's certain to draw a lot more attention from the cops. They might not check to see WHY it's so loud, but they're just as likely to simply write you up a VI and/or a VT for excessive noise. A VI will mean you have to put the cat back, regardless of why you got it... and of course, if you're in the GVRD, you won't pass AirCare that way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 05:39 PM   #5
HELP ME PLS!!!

in the US you can get some pretty big environmental fines (1000's). up here I haven't seen anything though.
johny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 06:36 PM   #6
d1
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Damn, that's too bad. I guess I'll take it off in a few weeks and enjoy it while I can.
d1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 06:44 PM   #7
Banned (ABWS)

I would just replace your cat before you get into trouble...

Are you running a turbo? There is really no need to eliminate your cat, unless you like shooting flames from your exhaust when you bang the rev limiter.

Unless you go to the track, its really unnecessary. Not to mention bad for the environment, and bad for your bank account.

If you are running a civic or some other stock car, whats the point?
stutterr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 07:06 PM   #8
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,799 Times in 1,763 Posts
I'd be more worried about having to pass aircare every year.

Or if you're like me you just move away from aircare. Mmmm hydrocarbons.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 02:16 PM   #9
My homepage has been set to RS

'02+ do not require aircare.
M Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 05:24 PM   #10
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
You sure about that?

Quote:
About Us - Questions & Answers

What vehicles are exempt from AirCare?

The following exemptions are in effect during 2009:

* 2003 and newer model year vehicles
* Vehicles with vintage plates
* Motorcycles, snowmobiles, amphibious vehicles and ATVs
* Farm fleet and agricultural vehicles
* Motor homes with a net vehicle weight over 3500 kg.
* Vehicles with collector plates* (except new applications for collector status)
* Electric vehicles
* Hybrid vehicles

Please Note: 2002 model year vehicles will require AirCare inspection for licence renewals after January 1, 2009.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 10:00 PM   #11
My homepage has been set to RS

sorry my bad...'03+ now. Was '02+ before Jan 09
M Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 07:21 AM   #12
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
Real easy to look underneath and count the number of mufflers on the pipe.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 08:21 AM   #13
Banned By Establishment

It's not worth the extra 5hp gained. Get a hi-flow, unless you're cheap [insert race name here]
BNR32_Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 11:42 AM   #14
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

I had my license suspended for 2 month because of a freaking Unnecessary Noise ticket because of my muffler given not even by a RCMP or VPD cop. She was one of those Skytrian/Transport cop? And she wanted to tow my car because of some Box 2 on it, but never ended up doing so for some unexplainable reason! And she did not even tell me why.
weedcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 12:00 PM   #15
RS Peace Officer

You had an outstanding N&O #2 and she let you off a mandatory tow job, $598 ticket and a #1 N&O ? You don't get prohibited for a 7A 01 ticket alone. There is much more to this story...and you should count yourself lucky. A Traffic Member would never let you drive away from all those charges.
Old 06-17-2009, 01:52 PM   #16
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

I purchased a car late last August, insured it for a year and drove it ever since. One day i get pulled over
and the cop tells me i got a box 2 on the car, i had no idea what it was. He explained that my car had to
get VI and that if he was a traffic cop he would tow my car right now. I was quite surprised because when
i bought and insured the car there was no such problem as a box 2 and a VI. Although the officer insisted
that I got the VI and I got the box 2, while i was driving this car, apparently he recognized the plates or some
bs. Anyway, he let me go without a ticket :S?

A couple month down the road this lady Transport Cop pulls me over because i went by her at speed limit but
my muffler was too loud. She snapped the cherries and 2 seconds later i was on the side of the road. Came
and took the insurance and DL (i have an N) and i had it on the car. Came back and said that there was a
Box 2 on the car and i was getting towed. Then went back to her car for 10 minutes while her partner visually
inspected my car and made me take off my euro-plate. I did not get a ticket for that and my car did not get
towed, i don't know why. She called in somewhere and came to a conclusion that she was not goning to tow
the car. Although i did get a $138 ticket for Unnecessary Noise and 3 point for that. Now i am
about to get prohibited for 2 month.
Old 06-17-2009, 02:33 PM   #17
RS Peace Officer

So now two Police officers told you that you had an outstanding mandatory vehicle inspection order attached to your car, gave you a break but you continued to drive? Just checking to see why they were the bad guys because they told you of this & let you drive away. You should not have been able to register the car if there was an outstanding N & O #2 on it. As you tell us you never got the inspection that was issued in your name (can't figure how that happened) then possibly somebody else who looked like you, driving your car, who was stopped by the Police, produced your DL and got the inspection order and never told you. That is the only other answer.
Old 06-17-2009, 02:42 PM   #18
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
So now two Police officers told you that you had an outstanding mandatory vehicle inspection order attached to your car, gave you a break but you continued to drive? Just checking to see why they were the bad guys because they told you of this & let you drive away. You should not have been able to register the car if there was an outstanding N & O #2 on it. As you tell us you never got the inspection that was issued in your name (can't figure how that happened) then possibly somebody else who looked like you, driving your car, who was stopped by the Police, produced your DL and got the inspection order and never told you. That is the only other answer.
How am i saying that the Police are the bad guys? I am not saying that at all i am just trying to figure something out...I should have not been able to register the car, but i was. And i did, and there was no problem, so maybe the person who sold it to me got a VI in it and never bothered telling me about it. EVEN THOUGH ICBC should have told me that, i assume. I am pretty sure i would not ever let someone use my DL or my car for that matter.
Old 06-17-2009, 03:39 PM   #19
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

You may have insured the car before ICBC got the paperwork abou the #2. There is a time lag between when the officer issues it and when ICBC receives the paperwork informing them about it, I think. If I were you, I would get a quieter muffler and take care of the #2 cause third time, you might not be so lucky.
wing_woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 06:16 AM   #20
RS Peace Officer

"Although the officer insisted
that I got the VI and I got the box 2, while i was driving this car, "

My response was based on what you told us. For some reason YOUR name was on the VI..according to the ICBC database..you just told us. If that IS the case then it was either personation or you driving it...unless the Police who issued the VI made a major mistake all the way through? How else can it have happened? I go back to my earlier statement.
Yes there is a time lag between the issuing of the VI and it getting on the ICBC database. Police normally forward the VTs and VIs within a week. It takes a while for the info to be entered into the computer but it must be done within 30 days...as that is the period the car has to get inspected.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:55 AM   #21
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

I never had Exhaust issues..
Rollin in a Modded Skyline GTS-T
TD06 Top Mount Turbo
External (Loud) Waste gate
Big Dump Pipe
Big Down Pipe
3.5 Straight Pipe

you can hear me coming from miles away.. When the Boost is running.

I dont see this as an issue.. if Harleys and bikes can be loud why cant i..

(Live in Abby/Langley)
Old 06-18-2009, 09:22 AM   #22
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA_FTW View Post
I never had Exhaust issues..
Rollin in a Modded Skyline GTS-T
TD06 Top Mount Turbo
External (Loud) Waste gate
Big Dump Pipe
Big Down Pipe
3.5 Straight Pipe

you can hear me coming from miles away.. When the Boost is running.

I dont see this as an issue.. if Harleys and bikes can be loud why cant i..

(Live in Abby/Langley)
Most of the time its the way you are driving the car. If a cop sees someone cutting in and out of traffic, or revving the crap out of the car, you are causing unnecessary attention to yourself.

I have heard a ton of crap with bikes. They come from the factory loud!! Loud pipes save lives!!
Old 06-18-2009, 11:54 AM   #23
Retired Traffic Cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by stutterr View Post
Most of the time its the way you are driving the car. If a cop sees someone cutting in and out of traffic, or revving the crap out of the car, you are causing unnecessary attention to yourself.
I called them "Pick Me!" drivers.

Quote:
Loud pipes save lives!!
It doesn't matter how many times you say this, I still won't believe it. Zulutango is an experienced bike rider and I suspect that he won't agree either.

Learn more at DriveSmartBC
skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 07:08 PM   #24
RS Peace Officer

Into my 46th year of riding, have been instructing since 1993. If you depend on rear facing loud exhaust to save you from the 2/3 most common cause of car vs mc crash, (the dreaded turning in front of...or pulling out in front of the mc) you are failing to use the best available tools...namely proactive riding, proper training and a headlight modulator. I use them all.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:04 PM   #25
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stutterr View Post
I have heard a ton of crap with bikes. They come from the factory loud!! Loud pipes save lives!!
yea I agree,, I hate when bikers use that crap. I was never advocating, that garbage. I guess I didn't make my stance clear enough. I think that loud pipe excuse is total bs.