REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-15-2009, 10:44 AM   #1
I don't get it

Does "NO RIGHT TURN ON RED" mean turn when it's safe?

Seriously, I can't count the number of times I've seen people disobey these signs.
So I will ask this question. Do you obey these signs?

Many intersections that have these include, Campbell and Prior (near Strath Park), Cambie northbound onto W 4th, by 8 rinks onto Sprott St (forgot the name), and of course many others.

It's funny because I rarely see people obey these signs, especially at night.

One time I was driving by W 4th, and happen to pass Cambie and I noticed a car make a right turn onto W 4th while the light was red. There was a cop car right behind him and he turned on his lights immediately and pulled him over. LOL that made my day I wish I got that on camera.

I've been honked at once just because I didn't go (not really a problem, it happened once out of iono hundreds of times).

So again, do you guys actually obey the signs? I know though that sometimes it's annoying when the sign forbids you to turn right on red but it's PERFECTLY safe, like when the cross street on your right has a protected left turn for instance.
Advertisement
E=mc˛ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:47 AM   #2
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

No means no. I won't

Then again, jerkoffs had honked at me for not turning too, I usually point towards the sign and flip them off.

they usually stop honking after that.
There is a time when you have to sig a post.

It just happened.
wouwou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:47 AM   #3
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Yup seen it. I was once sitting in my dad's car and I had to remind him not to make that right turn (going northbound Victoria + Broadway intersect)
Gnomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:48 AM   #4
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

obey it if i see it

sometimes they put it in the most conspicuous spot so can't really see it
jackmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:49 AM   #5
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
No right turn on Red means no turning when the light is red.

Otherwise, the general rule for right turns on red lights would be come to a complete stop prior to the white line. Wait and when safe, proceed to turn.

People also generally speed when the posted speed limit is 50km/hr but people often disobey this. I don't see how this is any different.

People think it is acceptable to break the rules when no one gets hurt or there is little chance of them being caught. But the weird thing is, if the street is completely empty and it is like 3AM in the morning, and you hit a red light, would you stop and run the red light or would you wait?

Most people would stop and wait for the light to change than speed/stop and go. It is weird how some rules can be broken whereas others even in extreme circumstances will not be.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:54 AM   #6
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,413 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnomes View Post
Yup seen it. I was once sitting in my dad's car and I had to remind him not to make that right turn (going northbound Victoria + Broadway intersect)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmeister View Post
obey it if i see it

sometimes they put it in the most conspicuous spot so can't really see it
I got caught for this one at night a month or two back. Cop was camping on Broadway waiting for people to miss it
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 11:00 AM   #7
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
Yeah people don't obey them, cos usually doesn't have to be taken seriously, but if someone honks at you purposely hold throw it in park lol

If it's safe and there aren't ne cops around I don't see why not, everything's fine when it's safe I guess. lol
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 11:07 AM   #8
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
stupid question about dedicated LEFT turn signals (not right)... if it's red, there is no left turn AT ALL until the next light change, am i correct?

the reason i ask is because just the other day, i was waiting to turn left onto willingdon from lougheed and the turn signal was red. so i stopped and waited, but this woman behind me starts standing on the horn, flips me the bird, then goes around me on the right and pulls into the interection in front of me and turns left like it's an open intersection
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 11:11 AM   #9
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
You need more practice driving in Quebec, where until recently you couldn't turn right on a red at all, and its still like that in Montreal.

Turn if you want, yet do so knowing its a ticket if you get caught.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 11:11 AM   #10
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post
No right turn on Red means no turning when the light is red.

Otherwise, the general rule for right turns on red lights would be come to a complete stop prior to the white line. Wait and when safe, proceed to turn.

People also generally speed when the posted speed limit is 50km/hr but people often disobey this. I don't see how this is any different.

People think it is acceptable to break the rules when no one gets hurt or there is little chance of them being caught. But the weird thing is, if the street is completely empty and it is like 3AM in the morning, and you hit a red light, would you stop and run the red light or would you wait?

Most people would stop and wait for the light to change than speed/stop and go. It is weird how some rules can be broken whereas others even in extreme circumstances will not be.
I think it's simply because speeding feels too natural, and there aren't signs on the streets constantly saying DRIVE AT 50 for instance, and nobody wants to keeps an eye on their speedometer all the time when driving just to stay under 50. I find that more dangerous then speeding slightly by going at 60.

In these individual situations involving intersections, I think the difference is that the infraction happens right then and there at a specific point so one would be more aware of it. Also, it's because you are literally disobeying a sign that's right in front of your eyes. If a sign says NO LEFT TURN and someone decides to hold up traffic doing it, I can understand why people would get pissed. With no right turn on red, it's the same thing. It's a direct disobeying of the sign. Also, if there are pedestrians, they should not have to walk around your car just because you decide to inch forward when it's no right turn on red.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:13 AM   #11
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS

I obey it
hotjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 11:13 AM   #12
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,413 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
stupid question about dedicated LEFT turn signals (not right)... if it's red, there is no left turn AT ALL until the next light change, am i correct?

the reason i ask is because just the other day, i was waiting to turn left onto willingdon from lougheed and the turn signal was red. so i stopped and waited, but this woman behind me starts standing on the horn, flips me the bird, then goes around me on the right and pulls into the interection in front of me and turns left like it's an open intersection
You are correct as far as I know.
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 11:14 AM   #13
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
Except that turning left where it's clearly a busy street and forcing everyone to wait another 30secs - a minute annoys everyone, but in both situations had there been no traffic, It'd be safe to go obviously, but the sign is in place so that ppl don't drive like idiots when there is traffic, so I guess they have to stay.
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 11:17 AM   #14
I don't get it

Quote:

if it's a dedicated left turn signal (separate from other lights), then if it's red you wait. If it's green, it'll be a green arrow meaning you can turn.

If you're turning left from Lougheed onto Willingdon that should be separate left turn signal if I remember correctly. That woman is an idiot then. I really wanna bust people who pull stunts like this. Like maybe set up a camera or something so I can just report them.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:21 AM   #15
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilvtofu View Post
Except that turning left where it's clearly a busy street and forcing everyone to wait another 30secs - a minute annoys everyone, but in both situations had there been no traffic, It'd be safe to go obviously, but the sign is in place so that ppl don't drive like idiots when there is traffic, so I guess they have to stay.
Off topic but I must say, it annoys me when people don't realize you can turn left on red if it's a turn onto a one-way street!

Like I've seen many situations where, the cross street was pratically empty, the few cars that were on the street have passed, no pedestrians were crossing. Yet the person just waits through the entire red (say 25 seconds), and so when the light turns green, guess what? They have to wait for ONCOMING traffic to clear now, adding to the overall wait. I think they had to wait til the light changed to red again before they completed their turn.
If they had just turned when the cross street was clear and while the light was still red, they would have avoided oncoming traffic altogether.
It would annoy me if I was stuck behind them. Though I wouldn't honk since I'm aware that most people don't know the rules of the road
*again, only referring to left turns ONTO one-way streets*

Last edited by E=mc˛; 06-15-2009 at 11:39 AM.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:34 AM   #16
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

I don't run red lights. This scenario included.
Mancini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 12:32 PM   #17
Certified Troll: Access Removed

Quote:

If its a one way street that you are turning into, it is okay once u are at a complete stop and deem it safe.
impactY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 01:06 PM   #18
Banned By Establishment

I rarely run into these with the routes i take around town, but I honestly don't think I seen it.
Shun Izaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 01:46 PM   #19
Banned By Establishment

you can turn right on a red, but when i slam into you at 180km/h++++ you're footing the bill since i had the right of way on two counts, going straight and you f'd up on disobeying the no right turn on red sign.
BNR32_Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 01:52 PM   #20
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnomes View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonick View Post
I got caught for this one at night a month or two back. Cop was camping on Broadway waiting for people to miss it
Who should be contacted to get this sign removed? City of Vancouver?

The only reason that this sign was up was because they used to have a side street that ran diagonal on the southeast corner of Victoria and Broadway, so those going east on Broadway could have turned slightly right to that side street, so those going northbound on Victoria may get hit, which is why they disallowed right turns on red.

BUT... that small side street is long gone now, so I can't see any possible reason why right turns on red should still be disallowed at that corner. The no right turns on red sign should really be removed there...
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 02:50 PM   #21
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,259 Times in 439 Posts
what is the logic of no right turns on reds?

is it because the intersection is just too busy?
TheKingdom2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 03:01 PM   #22
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
^
Basically.

I actually saw a quite a few "no right turns on red" when I was on the Island. Making uncontrolled turns on a long stretch of road which almost feels like highway is a death trap. There's a reason why they have the signs up; don't obey the sign and risk getting fined and/or causing an accident in which you'll be faulted 100%.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 03:21 PM   #23
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

I obey it. Don't want no trouble. Besides, how much sooner will u reach ur destination if u disobey it? To me, the couple of minutes I save is not worth any potential trouble.

How I wish I can remain ignorant, why do I know so much?
q0192837465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 03:53 PM   #24
Need to Seek Professional Help

Obey it just to be safe.
LenovoTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 04:01 PM   #25
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx703 View Post
what is the logic of no right turns on reds?

is it because the intersection is just too busy?
It's ususally cuz the cross street is more than 90 deg angle away from you, so you can't actually see that far down the cross street.
Shun Izaki is offline   Reply With Quote