REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 06-16-2009, 04:20 PM   #1
The RS Anchorman

GM agrees to sell Saab to luxury sports carmaker

STOCKHOLM — Saab Automobile, General Motors' struggling Swedish unit known for its family cars, was sold Tuesday to a consortium led by Sweden's Koenigsegg Automotive, a tiny luxury carmaker that produces only a dozen custom-made models a year.

Having penned a memorandum of understanding, GM said the sale would include an expected $600 million funding commitment from the European Investment Bank, guaranteed by the Swedish government. Additional funding for Saab's operations and investments would be provided by GM and the Koenigsegg Group consortium, it said.
"This is yet another significant step in the reinvention of GM and its European operations," GM Europe President, Carl-Peter Forster, said in a statement.

A person briefed on the deal said GM will get nothing initially for Saab, but would be paid $150 million — capital Saab had left over from GM's ownership — on top of the value of Saab's assets if the new company turns a profit. The person, who did not want to be identified because the deal has not been closed, could not estimate the value of those assets.
GM bought a 50% stake in Saab for $600 million in 1990 and acquired the rest for $125 million in 2000.

The company fronting the consortium, Koenigsegg Automotive, was founded in 1994 by Christian von Koenigsegg, a Swedish sports car fanatic and entrepreneur, who remains the chief executive. It makes luxury sports cars at its headquarters, a former air force base near Angelholm, in southern Sweden.

With a full-time staff of 45, Koenigsegg (KOH-nigs-egg) makes around a dozen cars a year, customized for every buyer. The company doesn't advertise prices for its models, but they are believed to range from $1 million to $2.3 million each.

Saab, on the other hand, has more than 4,000 staff worldwide, is represented in some 50 countries, and typically produces more than 100,000 cars a year.

Saab Chief Executive Jan Ake Jonsson called the deal "great news" and said it would help the brand to maximize it's potential "through an exciting new product lineup with a distinctly Swedish character."

The sale is expected to be completed by the end of the third quarter and is subject to regulatory approvals.

Nelson Silveira, a GM spokesman in Zurich, declined to give any financial details and would not disclose information about the investors.

On Monday, public documents showed that Koenigsegg Automotive had applied to start a new company named Koenigsegg Group — fueling speculation that a takeover of Saab was in the pipeline.

Shareholders in the new company were listed as Koenigsegg Automotive with a 23.4% stake, its owner and CEO Christian von Koeningsegg's firm Alpraaz with 42.6%, Norwegian holding company Eker Group with 11.8% and San Diego-based Mark Bishop with 22.2%.

Board members would include Florida-based Augie Fabela II — the co-founder and former chairman of Russian telecoms operator VimpelCom— von Koeningsegg, Eker Group owner Baard Eker and Mark Bishop. Washington, D.C.-based Melissa Schwartz was named deputy board member.

Saab went into creditor protection Feb. 20 in an effort by GM to sell the unit. Interested bidders reportedly had also included private equity firm The Renco Group Inc. and investors Merbanco Inc.

Matts Carlsson, an analyst of Goteborg Management Institute, called the deal "exciting, interesting and challenging," adding that although no price sum has been made official, the Trollhattan, Sweden-based unit is likely to have been more or less a giveaway.

"(Money) is not really what it's about right now, it's about the possibility to back up this deal," he said.

Carlsson has, along with other market watchers, voiced criticism of the idea of a small sports carmaker taking over the reins of a large company such as Saab.

More specifically, market watchers wonder how reliable the anonymous consortium will be and whether they have the finances to see the deal through.

"We still need to find out if they have the financial muscles," Swedbank Market analyst Anders Bruzelius said, noting Saab has been loss-making for more than a decade and that he didn't recognize any of the investors.

Even Sweden's Enterprise Minister, Maud Olofsson, who said she is pleased to see new owners for the hurting brand, told reporters at a news conference in Stockholm Tuesday that they would still need to show some proof of their resources.

"We can say that there is strength in the entrepreneurship, but whether there is enough money to be enduring enough is something that is still to be seen," she said.

Koenigsegg did not return phonecalls seeking comment, but told Swedish news agency TT that the group has the resources it needs.

"It's a misunderstanding. It's not the small car company Koenigsegg that is taking over. We're an acquisition strong group," Christian von Koenigsegg told TT.

Other analysts, such as Global Insight's Tim Urquhart, called it the "the best possible outcome for Saab," describing Koenigsegg as a respected company with a sensible financial structure.

"Koenigsegg certainly faces a massive task in returning Saab to a state where it is a profitable and vibrant premium passenger carmaker," but said it could revitalise the brand and steer it into greener technologies.

"The trick will be to position the brand at a price point where it can become profitable at the 120,000- to 150,000-unit mark and offer enough 'unique' technology and design identity to make the brand compelling," he said.

Originally an aircraft maker, Saab started manufacturing cars after World War II. General Motors gained full ownership in 2000. The aircraft division remains a different company.
http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/...d_N.htm?csp=34
Advertisement
wahyinghung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 04:25 PM   #2
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Wow. That's crazy.

It's like Porsche buying VW. Oh wait...
heleu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 04:27 PM   #3
I am on the internets

excellent, all the GM shit interiors will be gone!
maxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 04:27 PM   #4
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
I didn;t know that Koenigsegg had that much money.
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 04:28 PM   #5

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxx View Post
excellent, all the GM shit interiors will be gone!
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 06:20 PM   #6
The "You'd Know" Moderator

More like... RWD Saab ftw.

Ezekiel 25:17. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.
impactX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 06:47 PM   #7
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 1,491 Times in 341 Posts
konignigseeegssgeseg FTW lol
AVS_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 08:44 PM   #8
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVS_Racing View Post
konignigseeegssgabbaeseg FTW lol
fixed.
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 09:28 PM   #9

Thanked 7,449 Times in 1,438 Posts
thank you, no more shitty outdated saab interior

Koenigsaab 9000 turbo

Last edited by asian_XL; 06-17-2009 at 02:13 AM.
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 10:12 PM   #10
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Sometime it pays to be a cynic but is this a disaster waiting to happen? how can a ultra-luxury & performance niche market car company turn around Saab which has been struggling for years?

It's a bold move. But I feel Koenigsegg (even with other parters) is biting more than they can chew here.
Carl Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 10:17 PM   #11
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
900HP Saab 900!!!
hehe late 80's saab 900s are one of my all time fave cars!!!
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 11:31 PM   #12
Ubereem Mod

carl, i think it might be a good transition for them, they have car know-how.

You forget koniegsegg only owns 20% of the company, the parent trading company owns 45% so i expect, they do have the capital.

It's going to be interesting when the company put their stamp in the cars. I would check out those cars from Saab for sure.
Gt-R R34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 12:31 AM   #13
Banned (ABWS)

i'm interested
orange7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 09:10 AM   #14
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

On Conan O'Brien yesterday, he annouced the news that a supercar maker that only sales 12 cars a year, Koenigsegg, is purchasing Saab...Thats a perfect fit, thats how many Saabs are sold on a yearly basis as well...

Not his exact quote, but along those lines. =)

The brick walls are not there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something. Because the brick walls are there to stop the people who don’t want it badly enough.

Randolph Frederick Pausch[2] (October 23, 1960 – July 25, 2008)
kawloonprince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 11:57 AM   #15
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

hmmm, it'll make the Saab brand more appealing

That reminds me, does Saab have a contract w/ TVB or something. Many of their drama feature Saab cars

How I wish I can remain ignorant, why do I know so much?
q0192837465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 12:10 PM   #16
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,420 Times in 669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by q0192837465 View Post
hmmm, it'll make the Saab brand more appealing

That reminds me, does Saab have a contract w/ TVB or something. Many of their drama feature Saab cars
TVB also has the sky blue S500, yellow SLK, forester, and unlimited supplys of mug vans too.

Some of the TVB dramas ending credits thank SAAB and Subaru for their cars. But i think the Benz they got for cheap. =P

Anyways, Koenigsegg must be baller. They got like what, 35 ppl working? Something like that, yet they can buy Saab! O.o
shenmecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 01:12 PM   #17
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post
I didn;t know that Koenigsegg had that much money.
They got money from the government.