REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-18-2009, 10:18 PM   #1
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Custom Tattoo Help

i know there's many tattoo posts but ... not the same as my question so here it goes

getting two pieces of work done (both of which have great meaning to me)
(1) Lion ripping out my back [for myself]
(2) Chinese word "永" (those that are traditional chinese should understand the significance of this word and it's also the name of my grandpa) connected to a chinese painting with a type of tree called 蒼松 (I guess it would be a type of pine tree?) [for grandpa + dad]

example of the chinese painting with the pine

so my um ... question is this

cause this isn't something that you can just look up
so how should i go about doing this ...
anywhere / anyone i can go to to draw something like this?

or is there any alternative way to do this ... i dont want to just walk in and verbally tell the tattoo artist (assuming they understand) that this is what i want

any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks ~
Advertisement
KuSouL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 10:35 PM   #2
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

best thing to do is ask around and research some local tattoo artists whose work you'd think would closely match the look/design you are going for and then bring your idea to him/her..

what kind of style were you going for?
EFifty3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 10:35 PM   #3
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
Monkey King on Kingsway and Knight/Clark.

Go in and talk to the owner. Nice guy and does GREAT work. He should be able to sketch something out for you and see if you like it. He has waiting list though so you may need to wait a couple of months before he gets to you.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 11:21 PM   #4
RS controls my life!

Go research some shops/artists. Find one you like. Go and talk to them. Book a consult appt. Run you're idea's by them, see if they would be willing to take on your work. Sit down and go over you're idea's etc etc to the T so they can draw up what you want to the best of their ability.
Wykydtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 11:33 PM   #5
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,764 Times in 906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post
Monkey King on Kingsway and Knight/Clark.

Go in and talk to the owner. Nice guy and does GREAT work. He should be able to sketch something out for you and see if you like it. He has waiting list though so you may need to wait a couple of months before he gets to you.
Second that. Since this is asian Jeff Tam at Moneky King specializes in azn tattoos and will do a good job.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 11:36 PM   #6
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

monkey king or blackwater imo, set up an appointment, a few weeks before your date bring in some pictures if u got them available (print that pine tree out) bring them as reference so they can see what you want(but not copy), thats how mine went @ blackwater anyways, he did a terrific job.
dhawes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 11:58 PM   #7
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,824 Times in 8,194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wykydtron View Post
Go research some shops/artists. Find one you like. Go and talk to them. Book a consult appt. Run you're idea's by them, see if they would be willing to take on your work. Sit down and go over you're idea's etc etc to the T so they can draw up what you want to the best of their ability.
Thirded. Talk to an artist, not a forum. There's nothing we can do for you that an artist can't.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 08:12 PM   #8

that's the general response i expected

maybe i'm anal but jeff tam seems to be the only one i'm confident enough in doing the stuff i want ... not saying other tattoo artists are good ~ just a personally i'd prefer someone asian to do it for me
Old 06-19-2009, 08:14 PM   #9
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,824 Times in 8,194 Posts
All I will say is go be the artist's talent, not race. There are plenty of really shitty asian artists who will do really shitty asian style tattoos. And tons of white artists who do some of the best asian tattoos in the world. So forget about race, go find a good artist.

That said, Jeff Tam is pretty damn good.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 09:35 PM   #10
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,764 Times in 906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
All I will say is go be the artist's talent, not race. There are plenty of really shitty asian artists who will do really shitty asian style tattoos. And tons of white artists who do some of the best asian tattoos in the world. So forget about race, go find a good artist.

That said, Jeff Tam is pretty damn good.
haha very true very true. I'm chinese and I certainly understanding the whole feelign more comfortable getting something azn by an azn artist but what skinnypupp said is very true. However, that said Jeff Tam being an azn artist does in fact do amazing azn tattoos haha. Jesse from blackwater is also a very good artist.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 09:54 PM   #11
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

go do some research and go to their work place and check out their past work and just talk to them and get them to do a drawing for you.

monkey king, black water are good places. i personally went to ink bomb back in the day. one of the guys are still working in vancouver on his own also.
Nvasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 08:07 PM   #12

i didn't mean i have a problem with race ... not being racist ~ this is seriously just a personal comfort thing to have an asian guy do chinese characters but ... i guess you guys are right ~ i'll look at all the above-mentioned artists

thanks