REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-19-2009, 12:13 PM   #1
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Newly disclosed RCMP email drops bombshell on Taser inquiry

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-col...l.html?ref=rss

Quote:
Newly disclosed RCMP email drops bombshell on Taser inquiry
'I am obviously appalled,' Braidwood inquiry head says in delaying probe
Last Updated: Friday, June 19, 2009 | 12:40 PM PT

The unexpected disclosure of a key email between senior RCMP officers has raised questions about officers' testimony at the Braidwood inquiry into the death of Robert Dziekanski, resulting in a delay of the probe in Vancouver until September.

The email between two senior RCMP supervisors suggests that the four Mounties who responded to a call at the airport discussed a plan to use a Taser against Dziekanski before they arrived.

The four officers had already stated under oath at the inquiry that they had not discussed using the stun gun before arriving at the airport.

The commission was scheduled to begin hearing closing arguments on Friday morning, but after learning of the email, commissioner Thomas Braidwood announced the inquiry will resume on Sept. 22, so the commission lawyers have time to review the email and conduct and investigation.

"I am obviously appalled," a clearly upset Braidwood said.

Email not disclosed
The existence of the email was revealed by commission counsel Art Vertlieb as the inquiry resumed Friday. He said he only received the email from federal lawyers on Tuesday.

Vertlieb read from the November 5, 2007, email, titled "Media strategy — release of the YVR video,'" from the RCMP's chief Supt. Dick Bent to assistant commissioner Al McIntyre.

"Finally spoke to Wayne and he indicated that the members did not articulate that they saw the symptoms of excited delirium, but instead had discussed the response en route and decided that he did not comply that they would go to CEW."

The "Wayne" mentioned in the email is Supt. Wayne Rideout, head of the Integrated Homicide Investigation Team investigating Dziekanski's death, according to Vertlieb. CEW refers to a conducted energy weapon, the RCMP name for a Taser-type weapon.

Vertlieb said the late disclosure throws into question whether the commissioner has received everything he needs from the RCMP, and argued that the closing submissions should be delayed until the RCMP officers involved can be called to testify about the email.

Email wrong and hearsay: officers' lawyers
Lawyers representing the four RCMP officers who were at the airport responded that the email was essentially wrong and hearsay, and that the officers had not discussed using the Taser prior to arriving.

Braidwood ruled the inquiry would be forced to resume in September, when it's likely Rideout, Bent and McIntyre and other RCMP officers would be required to testify about the email.

The email was apparently overlooked by federal government lawyer Helen Roberts, who was representing the RCMP at the inquiry.

Roberts, who was berated by a furious Vertlieb, gave a tearful apology on behalf of the federal government for the oversight, saying the email was simply overlooked in all the thousands of pages of documents received from the RCMP.
Interesting turn of events... on the last day of the inquiry no less.

And before anyone pipes up, the issue isn't so much that they discussed potentially tasering the guy before they even got there, but that they also all likely lied under oath about it.
Advertisement
Old 06-19-2009, 12:24 PM   #2
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,413 Posts
C-c-c-c-ccccombo breaker!
sonick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 12:28 PM   #3
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

wow, those guys r getting owned big time. But it's a good thing that this email shows up. It really says something about the integrity of people

How I wish I can remain ignorant, why do I know so much?
q0192837465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 12:53 PM   #4
RS controls my life!

Just shows you there's really no good cops or shall I say RCMP in the whole organization. From top to bottom, they're constantly covering each other's ass. The RCMP really needs to clean house and revamp their personnel and culture.
bubba_g is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-19-2009, 01:20 PM   #5
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS

to the 3 posts before me
hotjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 02:54 PM   #6
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,341 Times in 557 Posts
that guy's name is Dick Bent... must've had a miserable childhood
PiuYi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 03:25 PM   #7
Banned (BBM)

RCMP = bunch of criminals.
Lude S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 03:47 PM   #8
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

LOL DICK BENT hahaha
chouchou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 04:49 PM   #9
Circle Stick Square Mod

oh wow.............

91 240sx (Sold)
86 FC3S (Sold)
99 Civic

!Tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 07:42 PM   #10
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
What a fucking disgrace and what a waste of tax payers money, these cops should have been charged with murder long time ago.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 08:16 PM   #11
I bringith the lowerballerith

wow... he must lie alot too, even under oath... His parent must be really impress with him now! Dick Bent

brown parents, "FIVE COWS?! HAVE YOU GONE COO KOO? five cows... noo to much... two cows."

Go WINGS GO 1997,1998,2002 & 2008

#2 #5 #13 #14 #16 #19 #30 #40 #91
Philly74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 08:16 PM   #12
No Duplicate Accounts Allowed

Wow man RCMP was haxorz this whole time
SpoonFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 08:16 PM   #13

Agreed that this is a disgrace. Obviously not all RCMP officers are like this, but what they did was terrible.

It looks like their might be some accountability this time, hopefully it'll be the first step to reforming the system to make sure that police power isn't abused.

I hope Robert's more hits them with a civil suit as well.

Also I'd love to hear what the people who were defending these guys blindly, think about the situation now.
Old 06-19-2009, 09:25 PM   #14
I bringith the lowerballerith

yea they should get second degree at least
Old 06-19-2009, 09:53 PM   #15
VLS Moderator

Thanked 2,591 Times in 832 Posts
R.I.P. 1989 Acura Legend Coupe LS.
Senna4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 10:18 PM   #16
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,515 Times in 4,906 Posts
I guess that's reality for ya........... what does that say about us, though? We complain about the RCMP, but look at what most of the public, in general, are like. We're no better. Downloading music illegally, handing out copies of software, cheating to get ahead, etc. The RCMP aren't from some other country. They come from within our society. We bitch about lousy service at stores, lousy teachers, lousy doctors, lousy nurses.......... you get the idea. It all starts with us. I don't know what to do to improve the situation. I look at young kids these days and they are nowhere near what we were like as kids. Kids nowadays lip off at their parents and behave like the world owes them everything. Integrity and honour may be a thing of the past.

Oh well, life sucks and then you die...........

Edit: I still say we shouldn't paint them all with one brush. I have a friend who's an RCMP officer and he's frustrated by not only the shit he has to deal with (public behaviour and whatnot), but the lack of good recruits.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 10:55 PM   #17

Are you seriously comparing downloading music to tazering someone to death and then lying about the procedure + drinking and driving and killing another innocent person?
Old 06-19-2009, 11:06 PM   #18
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
That one cop, too lazy to find his name, that killed that innocent man while drinking and driving should be locked up for a long time. II feel like knocking his ass out every time I see his ugly face in the paper or on the news and the mofo, who killed TWO innocent people, always puts up this attitude like nothing happen infront of the media. I guess that';s the attitude you get when you know your badge is protecting your ass.

And I sound like a broken record but the laws in this country are bullshit and protect criminals, not the victims of crime. I have my doubts but I really wish for the victims’ families that something comes out of this inquiry and justice is served.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-19-2009, 11:11 PM   #19
MG1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jassanova View Post
Are you seriously comparing downloading music to tazering someone to death and then lying about the procedure + drinking and driving and killing another innocent person?
Wow, buddy, you missed the point............. I'm not comparing downloading music to tasering someone to death. Give your head a shake!

It's about society in general not giving a rats ass about anything. Rules don't matter, lying and cheating doesn't matter. Nobody has integrity. Nobody gives a shit about anyone else except themselves. Shall I go on?

Then we expect people in certain fields to be........... nevermind. I'm obviously wasting my time. Yeah, I was comparing downloading music to tasering someone to death.................. WOW!

Last edited by MG1; 06-19-2009 at 11:17 PM.
Old 06-19-2009, 11:45 PM   #20
No Duplicate Accounts Allowed

I think I get what blkcivic is saying, and I agree it all starts with us. But at the same time I hope Police officers do not join the force only because it's a "job." Because being a police officer your suspose to set yourself from the rest, making a statement and should not be lying and what not. I mean thats what I expect..but thats definetly not the case.
SpoonFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 12:12 AM   #21
MG1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoonFit View Post
I think I get what blkcivic is saying, and I agree it all starts with us. But at the same time I hope Police officers do not join the force only because it's a "job." Because being a police officer your suspose to set yourself from the rest, making a statement and should not be lying and what not. I mean thats what I expect..but thats definetly not the case.
Yes, they should set themselves apart from the rest of us. They are out there to uphold the law and set a good example. There are plenty of good cops out there, though. We only hear of the bad ones. Unfortunately, many recruits join the force with great intentions, but quickly become disillusioned. It's a pretty crazy job. I couldn't do it. You're out there, basically unsupervised and most are just poorly trained. You have people doing all kinds of stupid things and they're in your face all the time. You see tragedy on a daily basis and it takes its toll.

I've often wondered what kind of person would even want to be a cop in the first place. Anyway..............

Old 06-20-2009, 12:25 AM   #22
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jassanova View Post
Agreed that this is a disgrace. Obviously not all RCMP officers are like this, but what they did was terrible.

It looks like their might be some accountability this time, hopefully it'll be the first step to reforming the system to make sure that police power isn't abused.

I hope Robert's more hits them with a civil suit as well.

Also I'd love to hear what the people who were defending these guys blindly, think about the situation now.
AMEN!

Let's face it, we need cops and the MAJORITY of cops are good people.

But theres too many bad apples that need to be weeded out. It's hurting their reputation. When a cop does something terrible and commits a crime, they hide behind their shield and worst they get is SUSPENSION, WITH PAY!!

They need to make an example of these guys and let the remaining cops know that they can't just abuse their power.
iEatClams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 12:26 AM   #23
manage the cap you say????

Thanked 3,613 Times in 1,181 Posts
Karma is a bitch fuckers.. jailtime!

\\ ______
  \(ಠ益ಠ)
   >  ヽ
   /   へ\
   /  / \\
   レ ノ   ヽ_つ ayyy lmao
  / /
  / /|
 ( (ヽ
 | |、\
 | 丿 \ ⌒)
 | |  ) /
`ノ )  Lノ
Not really racist! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 12:40 AM   #24
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jah Al Zawahiri View Post
That one cop, too lazy to find his name, that killed that innocent man while drinking and driving should be locked up for a long time. II feel like knocking his ass out every time I see his ugly face in the paper or on the news and the mofo, who killed TWO innocent people, always puts up this attitude like nothing happen infront of the media. I guess that';s the attitude you get when you know your badge is protecting your ass.

And I sound like a broken record but the laws in this country are bullshit and protect criminals, not the victims of crime. I have my doubts but I really wish for the victims’ families that something comes out of this inquiry and justice is served.
yea, just imagine if your family member was killed by a COP who was DUI and he gets away with it because he's a cop!

There really needs to be some changes done in order to protect the reputation of the police officers.
iEatClams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 03:27 PM   #25
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,811 Times in 1,770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post

I've often wondered what kind of person would even want to be a cop in the first place. Anyway..............
There are two types:

1. Those that actually want to make a difference
2. Those that just want the authority
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote