REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > HealthCare & Wellness

HealthCare & Wellness Breaking the Chains of Addiction. The Last Door Recovery Society
Mature discussion surrounding important health issues and concerns. Alternative therapies, healthcare questions, discussion of community resources, peer support help, group therapy, etc.

Old 06-19-2009, 08:24 PM   #1
Need to Seek Professional Help

Best Allergy Medicine?

i apologize if this is a repost but i'm looking for the best allergy medicine available. I'm allergic to almost everything which sucks and i've used ractine(?) and Aerius (?) and they dont seem to work. doubled it and still nothing.

I'm allergic to: Plants/Pollen, Trees, Grass, Dust, Cats, Dogs, Seafood, etc

it seems that the worst are plants,trees and grass and dust seeing im around these constantly around this time of year. Symptoms are usually itchy skin/ eyes, minor swelling of the eyes, runny nose/congestion and its absolutely terrible.

Is there a shot i can get every once in a while? i remember my cousin had this but had to do it everyday.. and i dont know if it worked that well.

Need help! ahh!

Old 06-19-2009, 10:49 PM   #2
Strut

i heard about that shot too, not sure if they still do it
Skim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 09:31 AM   #3
Banned (ABWS)

Yes, they still have the shots, but you have to see an allergist for that. It's a series of shots so I hope you're not afraid of needles!
Jermyzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 09:36 AM   #4
I STILL don't get it

you could get the shot, but you have to see an allergist for that, it is on the expensive side, and it takes about a month to get it, it is a special order product. but for now you could use aerius in the mornings daily and for anything else use benadryl..
Princess121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 10:11 AM   #5
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,699 Times in 446 Posts
Aerius iirc is a 5mg dose of whatever medicine is in there (I used to use it sometimes). Try Reactine Extra Strength or Double Strength, which are 10mg and 20mg doses, respectively.

As for the shots, I'm getting them right now. I'm 4 months into the program (shots once a week for the first ~30 shots, then biweekly, then monthly; total for a few years). I only started taking them in Feb so I couldn't judge how they've affected my allergies this past spring; I usually have my worst symtoms in ~March/April. We'll see how I feel next allergy season.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 12:47 PM   #6
I am Hook'd on RS

Aeirus, Reactine, etc. hasn't worked for me but recently i tried Allegra-D and had much better results.
Deezle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 09:32 AM   #7
Banned By Establishment

if you have medical and extended health you can claim the allergy shots. Another alternative is getting a nasal spray prescribed. That way you do not have to go to your doctor so often for the shots.
racerman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 09:14 PM   #8
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,454 Times in 987 Posts
reactine works for me but its a lil expensive.. i already went through about 20 of them this year. might try some generic stuff next time. its hard to tell which brand works best because many use very different drugs.
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 09:28 PM   #9
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
after going from

Areius(?) --> London Drugs House Brand --> Benadryl --> Claritin. I finally search up allergies on google. figured out what causes them and whats required to stop it.

Apparently, your body thinks that there is an infection brewing when u come in contact with pollen/cat hair etc. So, the body produces an antihistamine , aka the white clear stuff from ur nose, the teary eyes, the sneezing. That is your body's way of trying to get rid of the infection/bacteria/virus. Since allergies are false alarms, you need to stop the antahistamine from being produced. So, when u go to the pharmacy next time, look for the words antahistamine on the ingredients, and buy that.

Reactin extra strength has this antahistamine gig, and it works fabulasly for me.

siging out.

Dr.Tiger_H

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 10:27 PM   #10
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
after going from

Areius(?) --> London Drugs House Brand --> Benadryl --> Claritin. I finally search up allergies on google. figured out what causes them and whats required to stop it.

Apparently, your body thinks that there is an infection brewing when u come in contact with pollen/cat hair etc. So, the body produces an antihistamine , aka the white clear stuff from ur nose, the teary eyes, the sneezing. That is your body's way of trying to get rid of the infection/bacteria/virus. Since allergies are false alarms, you need to stop the antahistamine from being produced. So, when u go to the pharmacy next time, look for the words antahistamine on the ingredients, and buy that.

Reactin extra strength has this antahistamine gig, and it works fabulasly for me.

siging out.

Dr.Tiger_H
aerius, reactine, claritin, and benadryl are all antihistamines. the london drug house brand is probably the generic of claritin. aerius, reactine and claritin are all supposed to be similar in efficacy and differ in side effects. some people find that one will work better for them during one season compared to another.
truth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 12:11 AM   #11
SiRVs up, dude

Aerius is the newest one on the market so there are no 'house brands' available for that one yet (actually.. I don't think Allegra has a house brand yet either?). Personally it works the best for me.. none of the other ones do anything at ALL (except benadryl which still knocks me out).

Maybe trying a combo product like Allegra-D might help because its got a decongestant in it as well to help reduce nasal congestion if you're feeling that. The benadryl should help dry up your nose and eyes if they are wet (helps with itch too.. and it kicks in after around 30 mins). Make sure you're not driving a car while your on this one though because theres a HIGH chance you'll get knocked out and crash your car into something.
Old 07-08-2009, 03:07 PM   #12
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Allegra worked the best for me also...never had allergies until a couple of years ago. I've tried reactine and claritin and they just didn't cut it.
Hoorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 09:08 AM   #13
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,126 Posts
If you're an allergy sufferer, you should know that your body will eventually adapt to a type of antihistamine. I've suffered from allergies for as long as I can remember and I've been through the whole lot of over-the-counter stuff: Chlor-Triplon, Claritin, Reactine, and (currently) Allegra-D. When Aerius came on the market, I tried that too, but it did nothing for my symptoms. When Allegra-D starts to falter for me, I'm not sure what I'll do. Fortunately, the worst of the season seems to be behind us as I'm no longer taking Allegra on a daily basis.

I've heard that herbal remedies might be a better (all-natural, if you're into that) and cheaper solution in the long run. Has anyone had any success in herbal/natural remedies?
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 10:48 AM   #14
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,169 Times in 1,551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
I've heard that herbal remedies might be a better (all-natural, if you're into that) and cheaper solution in the long run. Has anyone had any success in herbal/natural remedies?
Oregano Oil has been working well for me. I usually take 3/4 of an eye dropper under my tongue and push it between my gums before I swallow it.
Old 07-14-2009, 01:58 PM   #15
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Sorry for going offtopic, but who does the allergic scratch test? Is it a homeopathic doctor or naturopathic doctor? Any recommendations?
Gnomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 02:26 PM   #16
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

To the OP... I have been suffering from allergies for as long as i can remember. I tried everything.. Most products will work for a limited time but in time ur body will be to used to it.
I am currently taking allergy shots (twice per week since jan) and WOW!!! This shit works soooo well, havent taken (or needed to take) any allergy pills since i started my cycle.
You will need an appt with an allergist and to be tested, the cost is kinda high it was $550 for a year and a half supply but i was covered through medical and got $500 back so it was totally worth it.

Anyone who suffers like me should try this, it has changed my life for the better.
Even if i had to pay.... STILL worth it

-Dave-
JDM4DR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 08:36 AM   #17
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,172 Times in 2,405 Posts
I've been using Flonase, perscribed by my doc, and been working great. Barely any symptoms at all, whereas before I could barely get to sleep with the window open.
sonick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 04:36 PM   #18
My homepage has been set to RS

in the beginning of this summer allergy season I was taking 4 extra strength reactines a day and it still wouldn't hold me for the whole day. I've tried naturopathic and allergist, they couldn't give me quick and long term relief.
I had stuffy and runney nose, constant watering eyes, sneezing 10-15 times in a row many times of the day. Couldn't work, couldn't sleep.

Then I went back to my chinese herbal medicine one night, and next day I wokeup able to breathe.
All my allergies went away. no need for reactine, nothing.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:11 PM   #19
I am Hook'd on RS

I know of a prescription nasal spray that's pretty effective. I believe it's called flownase(sp). The people that I know do take it tells me that it works great.
iEye is offline   Reply With Quote