REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Food & Fine Dining (https://www.revscene.net/forums/food-fine-dining_33/)
-   -   Cashiers handling the cash also serving food? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/579971-cashiers-handling-cash-also-serving-food.html)

Amuse 06-21-2009 07:15 AM

Cashiers handling the cash also serving food?

I was at Ikea buying an ice cream cone 2 days ago. I gave the cashier cash and she got a cone for me. She even used her fingers to touch part of the edible wafer. I ate it anyways and that night my stomach wasn't feeling well and had diarrhea.

I go to another location of Ikea yesterday, bought another cone and this time I was glad to see the guy handling the cash carefully use a napkin to wrap each cone before putting ice cream in. His fingers never touched the cone. I had no problem after.

This might even happen at McDonalds.

So do restaurant/fast food employers train their employees about this? It is common sense not to mix cash and food. Imagine all those germs from all that cash going into your food. gross!

Nvasion 06-21-2009 07:19 AM

well if they do that they are supposed to have a napkin around the cone. im sure you can file a complaint and get some free icecream for this:)

Amuse 06-21-2009 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nvasion (Post 6475313)
well if they do that they are supposed to have a napkin around the cone. im sure you can file a complaint and get some free icecream for this:)

McDonalds people never use napkins! maybe they are lazy, don't know they have dirty fingers, they want to be quick, or they want to save their company money from using napkins...
I'm complaining for sure, just thinking whether to complain in person, email or phone.
Sucks that I didn't get the cashier's name. OR maybe they all do that..

racerman88 06-21-2009 09:06 AM

should always be using a napkin or something else. THey should never be touching food directly after handling cash

Nvasion 06-21-2009 12:00 PM

write a letter to higher up management that way there is a higher chance you will get free things:)

Senna4ever 06-21-2009 12:22 PM

Eww....people who handle money should never directly touch food...

bcrdukes 06-21-2009 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nvasion (Post 6475313)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nvasion (Post 6475547)
write a letter to higher up management that way there is a higher chance you will get free things:)

What the fuck is wrong with you?

observer 06-21-2009 01:34 PM

Handling money and food

Wonder if they ever took FoodSafe:

Under the BC Health Act: Food Premises Regulation, Part 3, Division 2 - Training, Foodsafe Training 10 states that:

1) Every operator of a food service establishment must hold a certificate, issued by a health official, for the successful completion of the food handler training program known as FOODSAFE or its equivalent.

2) Every operator of a food service establishment must ensure that, while the operator is absent from the food service establishment, at least one employee present in the establishment holds the certificate referred to in subsection (1).

Not only is it an advantage to have the certification when apply for jobs in the industry, many employers actually require their employees to have the certification.

http://imperialhotelmanagementcolleg.../foodsafe.html

sas 06-21-2009 03:05 PM

Of course they all take a Food Safe course. But, you have kids working or people that speak engrish getting paid min wage. Countless times, I had to have instruct the subway dude to wash his hands and change gloves before handling food much to his dismay.

Meowjin 06-21-2009 04:10 PM

you have a weak immune system.

chrisbcrunch 06-21-2009 05:30 PM

I watch for this everytime I am in a fast food place and if I see it happening, I ask for my money back as it is digusting how dirt money is. Google it, if you dare :)

hirevtuner 06-21-2009 08:14 PM

well hot dog vendors do it all the time, no problems there...it probably makes the hot dog taste better
hahaha

SkinnyPupp 06-21-2009 08:31 PM

Stop being such a fucking pussy. It's not like you are going to get aids from eating ice cream after someone touched money. You know who touched that money too? YOU DID. And you not only ate ice cream, but you probably scratch your ass, pick your nose, wipe your eyes, and bite your fingernails without even thinking of it. Every day. So stop being such a puss, and quit complaining about useless shit on message boards. :)

KingDeeCee 06-21-2009 09:43 PM

...you got diarrhea from someone touching your cone? I think you should check if you have herpes. Should form around your mouth in a couple of days.

Razor Ramon HG 06-21-2009 10:26 PM

Now now, the OP is merely bringing up a point that some cashier don't practice safe food-handling skills.

LC21 06-22-2009 12:06 AM

Well people who work at mcdonalds are trained to wash their hands every 30minutes, but i mean its just some $1 ice cream.. =)

Amuse 06-22-2009 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 6476194)
Stop being such a fucking pussy. It's not like you are going to get aids from eating ice cream after someone touched money. You know who touched that money too? YOU DID. And you not only ate ice cream, but you probably scratch your ass, pick your nose, wipe your eyes, and bite your fingernails without even thinking of it. Every day. So stop being such a puss, and quit complaining about useless shit on message boards. :)

This thread is about cashiers handling cash and food. If I see that happen, I'll tell the person to wash their hands before making my food that I pay for. It's about the same thing as people going to the washroom without washing their hands and making your food.

So if you go to a sushi or sandwich shop and you see someone using their greasy hands, touching money, and then touch your food, you will still eat it?

SkinnyPupp 06-22-2009 09:20 AM

You're probably the type who filters their water before boiling it, before drinking it. Right? I bet I am right ;)

Moratorium 06-22-2009 09:30 AM

I wonder how the OP would survive eating street vendor food in .. well anywhere in Asia basically. Taiwan and Hong Kong come to mind. Seriously, its food, its cheap, kids in africa are eating dirty rice with flies buzzing around. Just eat your damn soft serve ice cream.

ecchiecchi 06-22-2009 11:32 AM

To each their own- no need to shit on other people's preferences.

WHEYsted 06-22-2009 01:45 PM

I can see how this is gross but no need to make a big deal out of it. It's not like they smothered their hands on your food. Get over it PUSSY

q0192837465 06-22-2009 02:16 PM

hahah, i like it when I see people who wear gloves but then they never change their gloves and handle money and food the whole day w/ the same pair of gloves.

MelonBoy 06-23-2009 06:20 PM

I think Mc Donalds has paper wrapping on there cones so the employess just touch the paper most the time i tihnk..

btw thats a prety weak stomach u got.. lol.. if you got diarrhea from just that.. its more likely she took a shit and didnt wash her hands, then her pickng up coins and giving u diarrhea.. think about it, how many times do u pay for food (your hands handle money) then u eat a burger or fries with those same hands :P.. its the same thing :)

f00tzilla 06-23-2009 06:30 PM

i dont see why other people are bitching at the OP .. contamination of food is a health risk..

twitchyzero 06-23-2009 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by q0192837465 (Post 6477301)
hahah, i like it when I see people who wear gloves but then they never change their gloves and handle money and food the whole day w/ the same pair of gloves.

+1
especially when the gloves are turning black and dirty LOL

it's honestly not a big deal.

After they touch your money, they go grab your sandwich and touch the food bag.

How are you gonna eat your sandwich? You're gonna touch the wrapper that's been contaminated.

there's no way around this unless you're demanding food workers to wash their hands every 20 seconds.