REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:59 PM   #1
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Surrey man charged for murdering two sons and injuring wife

So sad, rip to the victims.

Quote:
METRO VANCOUVER — Sukhwinder Kaur Johal was just weeks away from leaving her new husband and moving her two teenaged sons into a Surrey basement suite.

Now her boys are dead and she is fighting for her life after Mahendra Singh Johal allegedly tried to kill all three on a sunny Father’s Day morning.

Mahendra Johal, 66, appeared in Surrey provincial court Monday charged with the murders of Ranjit and Amarjit Gill and the attempted murder of their mother.

Johal looked stunned and emotionless as he stood in the prisoner’s dock for about five minutes before being told he would be held in custody until his next appearance Friday.

Prosecutor Marnie Westbury said Johal is facing two counts of second-degree murder and a single count of attempted murder in the near massacre of the trio who had recently arrived from India.

Sukhwinder, 35, remained in hospital in stable condition “but not out of the woods” from the injuries she sustained in the attack about 11 a.m. Sunday, Cpl. Dale Carr said.

Carr, of the Integrated Homicide Investigation Team, confirmed the victims of the double murder were 17-year-old Amarjit and his 15-year-old brother Ranjit, who was called Raman by his friends.

The widow and her teenage sons arrived in B.C. from India about eight months ago to join her much-older husband, according to neighbours and friends.

But things were not going well within the new family unit and Sukhwinder and the teens were planning to move to a nearby basement suite on July 15.

The townhouse Johal shared with his new wife and the teens at 6366 126th Street was still behind yellow police tape Monday more than 24 hours after the murders.

Neighbours tried to go about their business as reporters and passers-by stopped at the scene.

Thirteen-year-old Sukhdeep Sandhu had met both teens at Tamanawis Secondary when they started last fall.

He was in the same class as Ranjit and said they became fast friends, playing hockey and basketball together. He thought the man his friends lived with was their uncle – not their step-dad.

He said Ranjit or Raman, as he called him, confided there was trouble at home.

"He told me every day my uncle is fighting with my mom," Sandhu said. "They were going to move July 15."

He said the mother was working as a cleaner in places like White Rock and Richmond.

“He was happy,” Sandhu said of his friend.

Amarjit’s class-mate Balraj Basra said he also got to know both boys well.

"I am feeling sad. I am crying. He is like my best friend. He is my brother," he said of Amarjit. “He liked living here. His father died in India in an accident.”

He said Amarjit was a good student and loved gym class.

Carr said police had contacted staff at the high school so they could prepare to deal with grieving students.

“I always make it a point of getting in touch with schools when something like this happens with school-age people because I understand there is a process they need to go through,” Carr said. “Kids will have a sense of grieving. They have made friends. It is important that we get in touch with the school. It is part of our protocol.

He said investigators were trying to determine where the victims’ next-of-kin live.

“Another one of our challenges is locating and notifying next of kin,” Carr said. “We may have to call overseas.”

Carr said a 911 call came from the townhouse Sunday, but he did not know if Johal actually placed the call.

The accused killer was wearing a blue and grey striped sweater when he was led in to court by a sheriff about 1:35 p.m. Monday.

He did not appear to have any supporters or relatives in the courtroom and did not glance at the public gallery before being handed a slip of paper with his next appearance listed on it.

Outside court, his lawyer Craig Sicotte, declined to comment on the case at all. He also said he was not aware of the accused ever using the name Johal, despite the fact police said he did.

kbolan@vancouversun.com

© Copyright (c) The Vancouver Sun
Advertisement
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 12:26 AM   #2
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Wow thats so sad

May they R.I.P
van_driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 12:28 AM   #3
The "You'd Know" Moderator

RIP.

And for discussion purpose, don't associate this with race.

Ezekiel 25:17. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.
impactX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 12:39 AM   #4
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by impactX View Post
RIP.

And for discussion purpose, don't associate this with race.
definitely RIP.

but why the disclaimer? Do you expect many EI derogatory comments?

Not being a racist here. But it does seem to appear these days that there is an increase in violence between EI members and their families. You do hear in the news about husbands killing their wives and things like that. My brown co-worker and I were talking about this over dinner and she said it's a VERY STRICT culture.

I know when white people do it it's just the oddball, but when other races do it, it gets extrapolated into something bigger, and it might be taken into a stereotype.

But it's pretty obvious the majority of EI don't do this sorta stuff. But you really do wonder what's up with all the increase in EI family related killings.
iEatClams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 12:49 AM   #5
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

So this was why that whole area was blocked off that day..RIP to the the boys.
happened 2 seconds away from my work and 10 seconds away from my house
greendb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 02:40 AM   #6
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by azndude69 View Post
definitely RIP.

but why the disclaimer? Do you expect many EI derogatory comments?

Not being a racist here. But it does seem to appear these days that there is an increase in violence between EI members and their families. You do hear in the news about husbands killing their wives and things like that. My brown co-worker and I were talking about this over dinner and she said it's a VERY STRICT culture.

I know when white people do it it's just the oddball, but when other races do it, it gets extrapolated into something bigger, and it might be taken into a stereotype.

But it's pretty obvious the majority of EI don't do this sorta stuff. But you really do wonder what's up with all the increase in EI family related killings.
Wtf you blubbering on about. You act like there's an EI killing one of his/her family members every month.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 03:30 AM   #7

I have seen as many Chinese and Caucasian getting brought to the jail for domestic violence charges.

Ezekiel 25:17. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.
Old 06-23-2009, 04:22 AM   #8
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
R.I.P a sad story indeed especially when they must have thought they left that kind of BS back in India

this has everything to do with race... or rather Indian culture... from murdering children due to marriage issues to burning wives... and we've seen this happen here numerous times, its usually done by the older generation who must still feel they're in India
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 04:22 AM   #9
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jah Al Zawahiri View Post
Wtf you blubbering on about. You act like there's an EI killing one of his/her family members every month.
Hes just voicing his own opinion. To be honest with you, there may be a EI killing his/her family member a month. Same with Caucasian, African, Asian.
We don't know what the future holds.

The main picture is that no matter what race they are, it is still a loss.
Old 06-23-2009, 05:12 AM   #10
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by impactX View Post
I have seen as many Chinese and Caucasian getting brought to the jail for domestic violence charges.
oh ya totally. because chinese and caucasian families often have parents killing their older children. so often it's become a stereotype.

domestic violence charges aren't murder. sure it sucks that some dude beats his wife and kids. but i'm gonna guess that most folks would prefer beats over death.

besides how often are domestic charges the parent harming the older child? you say that like there's this huge amount of chinese and caucasian parents getting charges for harassing/beating their older children. gimme a break.

i mean from a canadian point of view. and older children is generally 20+ this time they are a bit younger.
Old 06-23-2009, 05:53 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Karl View Post
oh ya totally. because chinese and caucasian families often have parents killing their older children. so often it's become a stereotype.

domestic violence charges aren't murder. sure it sucks that some dude beats his wife and kids. but i'm gonna guess that most folks would prefer beats over death.

besides how often are domestic charges the parent harming the older child? you say that like there's this huge amount of chinese and caucasian parents getting charges for harassing/beating their older children. gimme a break.

i mean from a canadian point of view. and older children is generally 20+ this time they are a bit younger.
I saw a fair share amount of violent spousal dispute that ended up in court. Would that result end up different if police didn't intervene? May be. Aside from drug-related charges, that's what I saw most of the time.

Old 06-23-2009, 06:30 AM   #12
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS

RIP, sad
hotjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 07:13 AM   #13
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thats just terrible.

It wasn't even his kids, I hope the boys give him wat he deserves in prison
billboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 07:19 AM   #14
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
Miserable old fuck...
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 09:18 AM   #15
I am Hook'd on RS

RIP
mr.rakkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 09:39 AM   #16
Banned (ABWS)

Guess he didn't like his Fathers Day gift
azzurro32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 09:41 AM   #17
Banned By Establishment

RIP.

that's just messed up. Domestic disputes are a reality... but something we all have to live with
Shun Izaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 09:42 AM   #18
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
Death sentence anyone?
He's getting life for sure anyways
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 09:46 AM   #19
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

im sure hell get what he deserves in prison.

RIP to the young kids
Old 06-23-2009, 09:47 AM   #20
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
I was scared when I heard the news, since it's so close to my uncle's place, and he's been a bit up and down lately.

Then I heard the truth, and didn't feel much better about it. So sad that these kids had to die because of one man's failure to succeed in life. But most of all, I hope the mother can get past all of this. She not only nearly lost her life, but the loss of her boys will be hard to take.

so sad.
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 09:52 AM   #21
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

he was married before and his wife died. guy was lonely so he went to india and got married to that chick that got shot thinking she would take care of him and in return her and her kids get to come to canada etc. she gets here and as soon as she gets her immigration shit in order she tells him that hes too old and that she is going to leave. he got pissed off and tried to kill them all. stupid old fuck and dumb chick for trying to con the old idiot.

only real victims are the kids the other 2 idiots should realize by age 35 and 66 that this isn't a game
ws6ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 11:17 AM   #22
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jah Al Zawahiri View Post
I'm just saying that over the past few years you see a lot of cases with domestic violence in the EI families, which is wrongfully being taken into an EI stereotype. Could be just a coincidence or maybe there could be some other factor, who knows.
iEatClams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 11:49 AM   #23
I STILL don't get it

RIP to the two kids, I can't imagine how their mother feels. Hope she recovers fully!

but I laughed when I saw their friend speak on TV. His name was Sukhdeep, this is no joke.
donot521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 12:39 PM   #24
Not a mod

I heard the same story as well and felt sympathetic towards the old man. Apparently the old guy went to India to remarry after his wife died. The women in question was also recently widowed so they decided to get married with the understanding that he would bring her and her 2 children to Canada in return for companionship and someone to take care of him as he's getting old. Once the lady and her kids got their Canadian citizenship stuff sorted out, trouble began and they told him they were moving out.

So from the old man's point of view,
1. He won't be able to remarry again considering he's already 67. Factor in a few years for their divorce to be settled, he's passed 70 and the chances of him being able to marry then are next to none.
2. The lady he married and the 2 kids had planned to use him for canadian citizenship and then leave him; meaning he probably felt humiliated by everything.
3. Cost. Id imagine the marriage, cost of travel, immigration process cost him well over $100,000. Also, they said he was very generous to the lady and her kids and spent a lot of money on them... just to add to everything else.

Im sure the truth will come out in good time, but from what Ive heard on punjabi news, its unfortunate she didn't die.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ws6ta View Post
he was married before and his wife died. guy was lonely so he went to india and got married to that chick that got shot thinking she would take care of him and in return her and her kids get to come to canada etc. she gets here and as soon as she gets her immigration shit in order she tells him that hes too old and that she is going to leave. he got pissed off and tried to kill them all. stupid old fuck and dumb chick for trying to con the old idiot.

only real victims are the kids the other 2 idiots should realize by age 35 and 66 that this isn't a game
SoulCrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 12:42 PM   #25
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,260 Times in 321 Posts
ya. sum real fucked up shit.
asahai69 is offline   Reply With Quote