REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > The John Norwich Riders Corner

The John Norwich Riders Corner In honour of our fellow moderator: John Norwich R.I.P. September 17th, 2014
Buy, sell, trade bikes and gear, set up bike rallies, meet discussions. #revscenebikes

Old 06-26-2009, 09:02 AM   #26
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

don't buy a bike to show off when you see a big crowd or something. Are you still in high school? you might kill yourself in front of all your classmates.
Advertisement
TheSalesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 02:27 PM   #27
I am Hook'd on RS

Not for showing off.
Tomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 07:21 PM   #28
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

i was thinking of doing the same so dont feel alone
but i first need to take the course (i have my class 8L)
you must be rich if your gonna buy a 09 R6
i know for sure i cant get it this year cuase i have no money but i am going to get my N this summer
good luck
and please ride safe
Honyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 07:21 PM   #29
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

If it's not for showing off then why would you need a 2009 R6? Do you have any riding experience whatsoever? Your 17 which means you have ZERO driving experience and unfortunately a car is way more forgiving than some brand new supersport sportbike, especially if you have a slip. Nothing against you, but I for one is 100% against noobs starting off with 600cc. I sold a jacket and a pair of gloves to some noob recently, he bought an 09 gsxr750, dropped it a week later. He didn't have to tell me how he dropped it and I knew how he did it. Unless you have been riding since your 10 yrs old, any newer 600cc sportbike will be too much for you to handle.

Think of it this way, you have to worry about balancing the bike at low speeds, being able to keep in the right lane position, you also have to worry about your throttle control, hand brake, clutching and on top of all that you have to watch for pedestirans and drivers who will never know you were there to begin with and swerve right into you, and lastly watching your speed. At the riding position your at while riding a sportbike, you can't really glance down every so often to read your speedo while the bike is going forward in traffic.

Go to BCSportbikes.com and read all the RIP threads from this year alone. I already had to attend a good friend's funeral earlier this year. Sad part is, the season just started and reality is, at this rate this year, there will be a lot more RIP threads on that forum.
6thGear. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 10:57 PM   #30
Banned By Establishment

Haha I just want the R6 because it sounds like a beast with a Leo Vince Exhaust.
WHEYsted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 11:09 PM   #31

inline 4s don't sound like beast, they too smooth. leave the raw stuff to the twins...haha

I am with 6thGear. If you are not buying it to show off and wants to ride fast, then go for something smaller and used. You will learn the skills much faster.
Old 06-27-2009, 12:10 AM   #32
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,186 Times in 929 Posts
you've got balls, i'd practice driving more and learn from your mistakes in a caged vehicle. that's why i'm holding out on getting my bike license until i get more driving experience
JSALES is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-27-2009, 12:17 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6thGear. View Post
I sold a jacket and a pair of gloves to some noob recently, he bought an 09 gsxr750, dropped it a week later. He didn't have to tell me how he dropped it and I knew how he did it. Unless you have been riding since your 10 yrs old, any newer 600cc sportbike will be too much for you to handle.

i wonder if this is the same person that i know? or just coincidence...
i know someone that bought a gsxr750 brand new because it was a good deal so he HAD to buy it. First time i saw the bike...it was already dropped and i think he was trying to do some wheelies already. same person? or just another noob?
TheSalesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 01:11 AM   #34
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSALES View Post
you've got balls, i'd practice driving more and learn from your mistakes in a caged vehicle. that's why i'm holding out on getting my bike license until i get more driving experience
I was planning on doing the same...
WHEYsted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 11:10 AM   #35
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonamehustla View Post
Haha I just want the R6 because it sounds like a beast with a Leo Vince Exhaust.
You're going to make yourself go deaf pretty quick

Even with my wimpy lawnmower-sounding 250 I wear earplugs when I ride
Jermyzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 12:58 PM   #36
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

As long as you're mature enough, then it'll be alright; highly advice taking a safety course first though. I started out riding around on my GFs Ninja 250, then I bought my ZX6R when I was 18. Stay alert and keep thinking that everyone is out to get you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelonBoy View Post
really?.. some reason im afraid of taking shits after ghost movies.. i always think about what if a ghost's hand came out of the toilet and grabbed my nuts or stuck its hand in my ass -___________-.... i mean if it came outa the mirror id have reaction time to run but the toilets.. thats a pretty good blind spot to sneak up on people from -_____- ...
metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 01:11 PM   #37
I am Hook'd on RS

Thanks alot for all your feedback boys
Old 06-27-2009, 03:32 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSlowSS View Post
I am with 6thGear. If you are not buying it to show off and wants to ride fast, then go for something smaller and used. You will learn the skills much faster.
Thankfully someone see's it the same. Lets put it this way, I started with a 97 ninja500(3.5yrs)->04F4i(1 yr)->06 Gsxr600(current). I felt I had some decent experience, first track day this year, some guy on an old school bike, I think a GPZ500?, literally destroyed me out there. I couldn't keep up worth shit. in fact he was pretty much the fastest guy in our group. Skill over machine is pretty much a given at anytime on any machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSALES View Post
Well, at his age, didn't we all have balls and invincibility?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSalesman View Post
i wonder if this is the same person that i know? or just coincidence...
i know someone that bought a gsxr750 brand new because it was a good deal so he HAD to buy it. First time i saw the bike...it was already dropped and i think he was trying to do some wheelies already. same person? or just another noob?
I dunno, but he did a low speed drop while turning right. By simply telling him that applying pressure on the opposite peg will keep the bike upright while your stretching out to turn tightly. He was like,"AH!!!!"
But I know he bought the 750 based on color alone and nothing else.

Quote:
I was planning on doing the same...
Good thinking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomac View Post
Thanks alot for all your feedback boys
In the end, it is your money after all, just heed these advice given and never think your bigger than your machine and learn to respect it. but have fun !
Old 06-27-2009, 04:29 PM   #39
I am Hook'd on RS

Thanks 6th gear for the feedback, i appreciate you all helping me on my descision, I thought alot of you would of just said no flat out, but reading your replys I knoticed you all are just watching out for me and I appreciate that alot, thanks guys. Stay safe
Old 06-30-2009, 04:23 PM   #40
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
Is an R6 really a good beginner bike? I was thinking of the Ninja 250 but I realized it's kinda slow. Plus an R6 sounds crazy with a Leo Vince Exhaust. So it this reccomended?
depends on how big the rider is. my first bike is an R6, but i'm 6'2 200lbs. a 250 would have lasted me like 5 hours before i'd have turned around and sold it for a bigger bike

Quote:
Originally posted by Marco911
Must be funny when he sees his psychiatrist for treatment of his delusions of grandeur.

Hyde: "See my black Ferrari parked in the handicapped spot outside your office"
Doctor: "Where? All I see is a Yaris."
Hyde: "It's a Ferrari dammit! LoL! Yaris!?"
Doctor: " I'd appreciate if you didn't park in the handicap spots."
Hyde: "LOL! The ticket is only like $500 bucks. In fact, my dad's factory makes the handicapped street signs. If you look closely at vegetable in the wheelchair, it's really a picture of me when I was born."
Doctor: "Here, come a little closer you won't feel this at all."<Injects 20cc of Haloperidol>
Hyde: "I feel woozy...hey, what did you do to my Ferrari? That's a real piece of shit parked in my spot."
Doctor: "Welcome to reality."
Guy_LikeWhoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 04:41 PM   #41

Depends on your style to be honest. Do you do WOT all the time? If yes, get the Ninja250, it's still plenty fast. My buddy is 5'9" 180lbs, and he's still ripping around in it after 2 years.

My first bike (which I'm still riding) is a FZ6 (detuned version of R6 but pretty much the same engine), and unless I'm passing on the highway, I never ever even go past 1/3 throttle, and I keep my revs below 4000rpm in the city. The extra torque is definitely nice if this is your style.

I'm 5'6", probably 180lbs with gear.
slammer111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 03:31 PM   #42
I am Hook'd on RS

I'm 5'11 165 with gear
Old 07-03-2009, 12:29 PM   #43
Banned By Establishment

all about throttle control
racerman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 01:51 PM   #44
I am Hook'd on RS

Ive been riding competition dirtbikes and atvs my whole life. I know what its like not to have throttle control cause a KX 250 will send you into a tree pretty quick if you dont respect it.
Old 07-04-2009, 12:22 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomac View Post
Ive been riding competition dirtbikes and atvs my whole life. I know what its like not to have throttle control cause a KX 250 will send you into a tree pretty quick if you dont respect it.
Like I said earlier...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6thGear. View Post
Unless you have been riding since your 10 yrs old, any newer 600cc sportbike will be too much for you to handle.
You've got throttle experience, you should adjust pretty quickly.
Old 07-04-2009, 08:39 PM   #46
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

if you're looking at a 600cc to buy, should get a gixxer, it's the easiest out of them all. R6 is a bit more advance and not so forgiving if you fuk up...
nammerstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 03:51 PM   #47
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Indeed size does matter...

Just don't kill youself...
Quickshifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 12:06 AM   #48
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

take a course, like PRS, the instructors can tell u if you can handle a r6 or not when u finish the parking lot section.
AhXian is offline   Reply With Quote