REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 06-28-2009, 11:22 AM   #1
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Having specific MVA violations contribute to having a criminal record?

If one has several MVA violations on record; such as failure to stop for police, make pass safely, obey traffic controll device; excessive speeding etc.

Do those above contribute to/equal criminal offence(s) and therefore lead one to having a criminal record?

concerned because, I dont want to go all the way to peace arch and be asked to turn around, or be probed and hassled at border.

I read somewhere you can cross if you have a dui, which i dont have, but i also read that if you have several misdemeanors it will cause problems.

thanks for reading
Advertisement

Last edited by Aztek DeViL; 06-28-2009 at 11:30 AM.
Aztek DeViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 01:46 PM   #2
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
The short answer...you get a criminal record when you are convicted of a Criminal Code offense. You get a motor vehicle act record when you get convicted of a Motor Vehicle Act offense.

FYI...Canada does not have misdemeanors or felonies...US TV is not life in Canada.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 02:06 PM   #3

so basically...no worries crossing border with shitty driving record?
Old 06-28-2009, 02:57 PM   #4
RS Peace Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztek DeViL View Post
so basically...no worries crossing border with shitty driving record?

I didn't say that...you asked if traffic tickets would get you a criminal record that would prevent you visiting the US. I said that they alone would not. If your DL is currently valid and you have no criminal convictions, unless they have flagged you for some other reason, you should be good to visit. IF...a big IF... you drive down there like you have been driving here (according to what you suggested) get ready for a big shock. They jail drivers for excessive speeding tickets and a lot more driving offenses. Failing to stop for Police in some US States permits them to use deadly force on you...ie...shoot at you. The legal system there deals with people MUCH more severely than we ever did in Canada...specially what we are used to here in BC. Enjoy your trip and 88 cent dollar. I'm 2 weeks away from doing just that too.
Old 06-28-2009, 03:48 PM   #5

so my past mva violation dont count as a past criminal record. (excellent news)

And most definitely will drive safe, and greatly appreciate the reminder.
Old 06-29-2009, 04:38 PM   #6
RS controls my life!

I think its rare that they would jail a foreigner for excessive speed... too many headaches... I know a few people who have had the highway shut down because they decided to do a cannonball run... and one car got a $500 ticket...

Just if you get followed by at WSHP with flashing red and blue lights... PULL OVER!

I will say this American Highway/Traffic Police are much more car friendly than the traffic po running around here... I got pulled over for doing 88mph once (only time getting pulled over down there)... he told me nicely to slow down... tipped his hat and told me to have a nice day... And every cruise I have been on or meet I have been to in the states the police are very accommodating and don't harass enthusiasts unless they are doing something completely stupid... (aka they aren't standing around handing out VI's and "no front plate" tickets... )

2010 Touareg V6 TDI - Loving the green power
2011 Audi S4 - order picked for production... will be a late xmas present!!

hardSLAM
yvrnycracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 06:56 PM   #7
Marcosexual Fan Club, CEO

^^I was pulled over in Ohio doing 88 mph in a 70 zone by an officer doing a speed trap off a hwy on-ramp and the cop just told me to "slow your ass down."
Old 06-30-2009, 05:30 AM   #8
RS Peace Officer

Son of a very good friend of mine got caught speeding on a motorcycle in Washington.100 mph in a 50 zone. Spent the night in jail and was released on bail. Went back for his trial and they reduced the fine. They don't play games there, like the courts in BC do.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:31 AM   #9
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Okay, so it's story time?

I got married in Chicago in 1990. When we were driving back to Vancouver (in my '81 Aries K!), I got stopped twice...

First was going through South Dakota. Speed limit on I-80 was 65; didn't even realize what my speed was, I was just cruising nice and smooth... came over a little rise in the highway and saw a cop car going the other way. Well, he didn't even slow down, just kept going. Noticed a minute later, in my rear-view, that he was turning around in the built-up median... then very leisurely got in behind a semi that was running way behind us. Didn't think anything of it until about two minutes later, when he was suddenly behind us with the lights going... d-oh!

Well, first question he asked me was, "how much American cash do you have on you?" Apparently I was going over 90(!!) and according to the chart he had on the visor of his car listing the various fines (he showed it to me), over 90 *requires a court appearance*. Having noticed the BC plates, the JUST MARRIED sign in the back window, and the back of the car packed to the roof with my new wife's stuff, plus the fact that it was Saturday morning, the court wouldn't be open until Monday, and I'd have to spend the whole weekend there waiting for my appearance... he pointed out that he could opt to collect a $200 cash fine (which was also noted on his chart). Fortunately, my new mother-in-law had given us her triple-A card (in case we had car trouble), which was also able to be used as a bail-bond card (meaning triple-A pays the fine and send Mom the bill!) so we gave him that. The cop was very pleasant and professional through the whole thing.

Contrast that to the Montana cop, the next day... same situation, cruising nice and smooth, speed limit on I-90 is 65... come over a little rise in the highway, there's a cop going the other way... except this guy STANDS on the brakes, lights are on INSTANTLY, I can see him SCREAMING at me through the window, "PULL IT OVER!!!" POWER-SLIDES down through the gravel median... I'm already stopped by the time he hits the bottom. PEELS out of the median, blowing gravel and dirt everywhere, leaving a huge patch when he hits the pavement... comes FLYING up behind, hops out - and this guy is straight out the movies, with the boots and mirrored shades (mirrors on the INSIDE!), the big hat and the hardcore attitude - gets up to my window in two huge strides... "SPEED LIMIT HERE IS 65, I GOT YOU DOING 76 (so much for allowing 10 over). THAT'S A $5 FINE, PAYABLE TO ME *NOW*. IF YOU WISH TO DISPUTE YOU CAN DO SO IN HELENA ON MONDAY." Now keep in mind, this is Sunday, early afternoon, and Helena is about 80 miles out of my way... yeah, I'll get right on spending an extra day in Montana so I can waste an extra half-day to dispute $5...

Funny thing with the Montana one was, the cop probably burned more than $5 worth of rubber off his tires in that little stunt... but hey, it was worth it for the show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 08:49 AM   #10
RS Peace Officer

So are you saying you never did a handbrake turn in a company/rental car?
Old 08-05-2009, 07:22 PM   #11

so if you have a wack load of tickets like i do; not proud of it just stating facts, by the way dont speed!; dont think that will stop you from crossing the border. i crossed in and out with no problem.

Felony & Motor vehicle act conviction are 2 different things and systems just like zulutango said. i forgot that now you dont have to.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:56 PM   #12
I subscribe to Revscene

Welcome to how the US treats it's citizens. And are they any better off than we are?

Wonder why I have no desire to go there. Not because I break the law, but I don't want to visit a country that treats normal, good meaing everyday people that harshly.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 07:57 PM   #13
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
So are you saying you never did a handbrake turn in a company/rental car?
For the record, I treat loaner/rental cars like I do my own. And I'm not hard on my car. To abuse them would be irresponsible and a good display of jack-assery.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 08:35 PM   #14
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
Okay, so it's story time?

I got married in Chicago in 1990. When we were driving back to Vancouver (in my '81 Aries K!), I got stopped twice...
sorry to go off topic, but married in 90? man, and I thought I was old. No offense.

$5 for speeding? wow.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:46 AM   #15
RS Peace Officer

No....the REAL "wow" was the fact that he comes on RS and admits to driving a K Car!!!!