REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 07-06-2009, 01:43 PM   #1
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Are your side view mirrors adjusted correctly?

I don't think so, maybe some, but not the majority for sure.

I'm one of those stingy, picky people that needs everything perfect when it comes to driving. So something as important as mirror HAS to be adjusted correctly.

Anyways, as I was heading home I was adjusting my mirror, and I was never content with the angle, so I googled if there was a correct angle.

http://www.linquist.net/motorsports/tech/mirrors/

Some questions to ask yourself:

Do you see 1/3 of your car through your side mirrors? If so, why do you need to see your car through the side view mirror? Sure, you have a nice expensive car, but if it's adjusted so that you have blind spots and you switch lanes and SCRAPE. Anyways, that's just worse cast scenario, but it can happen at anytime. Why do you need to see the car behind you through the side view, what the rear view for then?

Hopefully this isn't a repost, nonetheless it is a good read.

STILL SHOULDER CHECK PLEASE!
Advertisement

Last edited by v.Rossi; 07-06-2009 at 02:47 PM.
v.Rossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 01:51 PM   #2
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
The problem with this is that people will assume they see everything with their mirrors and do not shoulder check.
Also, with the mirrors pointed out so much, they cannot see the curb to parallel park.

Personally though, I have my mirrors adjusted very similarly to what he said because there is just that much less of blind spots, but I still shoulder check.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 02:41 PM   #3
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
oh ic, i'm used to having my side mirrors pointed somewhat at the body of my car, But what he says really makes sense to me, less shoulder checking necessary
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 02:41 PM   #4
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

I adjust mine so I can't see my own car. No blind spots that way... which is good because I have these massive C pillars that makes shoulder checking pointless.
Old 07-06-2009, 02:42 PM   #5
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

I have to see part of my car in the side mirror. Not 1/3 but at least 1/5 if not 1/4. The reason, for me at least, is so that you have a reference point on where everything is. You know exactly where ur car is, so everything else in the mirror is in reference to the location of the car. If you can't see ur car, u dunno as well where everything actually is.

If you dun like to shoulder check, get some split mirror. Even if another car is right beside me, I can still see it in the mirror

How I wish I can remain ignorant, why do I know so much?
q0192837465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 02:47 PM   #6
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by q0192837465 View Post
I have to see part of my car in the side mirror. Not 1/3 but at least 1/5 if not 1/4. The reason, for me at least, is so that you have a reference point on where everything is. You know exactly where ur car is, so everything else in the mirror is in reference to the location of the car. If you can't see ur car, u dunno as well where everything actually is.

If you dun like to shoulder check, get some split mirror. Even if another car is right beside me, I can still see it in the mirror
If you adjust it so you can't see your car when rotating your head, you can still see your car if you need to by moving your head left/right a few inches. I don't see my car in my mirrors at all but when I parallel park, I move my head so that I can see it
Old 07-06-2009, 02:48 PM   #7
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 1,314 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by q0192837465 View Post
Exactly. +1. The author of that site sounds pretentious.

Last edited by Noir; 07-06-2009 at 02:56 PM.
Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 02:49 PM   #8
RS controls my life!

my sister likes to see her car in her side view mirrors so she always gets mad at me when she gets back in her own car cause i adjust her mirrors...like first said wth's the point of seeing 1/3 of your own car
eurochevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 02:50 PM   #9
you
Banned (BBM)

mine points directly to my blang blang rims
you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 03:43 PM   #10
racing & tech mod.

Rich Sandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 03:49 PM   #11
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Sandor View Post
what mine looks like as well

can see the very edge of my car, and the horizon in the middle of the mirrors
There is a time when you have to sig a post.

It just happened.
wouwou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 04:18 PM   #12
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,779 Times in 1,173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wouwou View Post
what mine looks like as well

can see the very edge of my car, and the horizon in the middle of the mirrors
x3.

Except on passenger side it's pointed more down so I can see the curb.
fml
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 05:11 PM   #13
The "You'd Know" Moderator

I do what Rich Sandor has posted... basically means that if the whole car (not just partial) appears in my mirror, I have enough room to shoulder check -> change lane in heartbeat.

Ezekiel 25:17. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.
impactX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 05:18 PM   #14
My homepage has been set to RS

damn awesome...i accidentally fucked mine up and kept adjusting today without satisfaction. It's like u read my mind!

I'mma try this later, but i don't really get what he means by put your head to your window (when you first start doing this). Does this mean sit in your seat and press your head to the glass as left u can? Anyone?
drunkrussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 06:25 PM   #15
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

Thanked 2,253 Times in 626 Posts
ditto, though i understand what the OP says, i adjust my mirrors this way as well. why? because i use that tad little bit of the car as a frame of reference to where the other cars behind me are. how far away will the car be if u have no frame of reference for it?

also, as for parking and stuff, that is what those dinky little angled mirrors are for. for me, i mounted them in the upper outer corner of the mirror. i dont need to see the sun in the background, and last time i checked, gravity keeps the cars on the road thus having as much visibility of the road, and the cars on them is best.

Quote:

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
!SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 07:03 PM   #16
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

for me, on my driver side, I have it adjusted properly. but on the left side, I have it pointing to the curb. I do this because I'm using a extra wide rear viewmirror and I can see the entire right side of my car, up to the beginning of the passenger side door. I shoulder check, anyways. Before I got the rear view mirror, I had it adjusted properly.
dark_reverie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 07:24 PM   #17
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,186 Times in 929 Posts
that's why it's always good to shoulder check
JSALES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 07:43 PM   #18
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 7,449 Times in 1,438 Posts
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 11:30 PM   #19
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,109 Times in 299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastpuff View Post
x3.

Except on passenger side it's pointed more down so I can see the curb.
That's exactly how mine is set up~!
124Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 11:44 PM   #20
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
very similar to how my mirrors are adjusted. I have a 4 doors sedan, and I can just barely see the rear door handles.
orange7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 12:02 AM   #21
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,699 Times in 446 Posts
I have it so I cant see my car using peripheral vision, but when I turn my head a couple inches to check mirrors, I see about as much as the pic Rich Sandor posted. That's just how my dad taught me when I first got my L. And it makes sense the whole whytf do you need to see 1/3 of your car.

meh
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 07:34 AM   #22
racing & tech mod.

Of course, I doubt this thread is going to change the way people aim their mirrors - lol - everyone thinks they are the bomb and that they are the #1 driver in the world.

I don't like to have to move my head in order to see how close I'm cutting the wall to my fender, which I why I aim the mirrors so I can always see if the edge of a wall is going to touch my fenders - and as posted above, seeing the car in my sideviews gives me reference to how far or close something is.

Plus those 944/968 fenders are just plain sexy.
Rich Sandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 08:19 AM   #23
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

Thanked 2,253 Times in 626 Posts
haha, so you guys got me all freak interested in how i set my mirrors.

i notice i have my mirrors set comprimising both what rich sandors posted, and what the OP says.

if i sit still, and only turn my head left and right to see what i see in the side mirrors, i see no part of my own car in the side mirrors. however, due to my nature, which i think a lot of ppl do, when they check to see who or what is in their side mirror, they tend to lean over, and when i do this, i see just that tad bit of my own car.

so while driving normally, to just make sure no one is in the other lane, i turn my head to make sure its clean, however, when im getting ready to turn, or change lanes, i of course shoulder check (make it a habit ppl!), but also lean over a bit to see, when doing so, i see that tad bit of my own car, for that frame of reference. =)

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
!SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 08:24 AM   #24
How I Mod your mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilvtofu View Post
less shoulder checking necessary
Shoulder checking should always be necessary, and its a good habit
I mean seriously, how hard is it to turn your head for half a second?
[19-07, 16:52] bloodmack: EB did u change my avatar and title?
Quote:
[19-07, 16:54] El Bastardo: bm i have no idea what you're talking about because i don't speak gorilla
!Yaminashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 08:42 AM   #25
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,420 Times in 669 Posts
i make it so that i see just a little bit of my car. That way when i parallel/ backwards stall parking, i can see the curb or the lines better with respect to my car.
shenmecar is offline   Reply With Quote