REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Maintenance, Engine & Driveline Tech

Maintenance, Engine & Driveline Tech This forum is brought to you by The Speed Syndicate (TSS) in Burnaby.
Discussion of maintaining your engine, transmission, differentails, rear ends, and mods associated with "driveline" parts..

Old 07-09-2009, 10:17 AM   #1
My homepage has been set to RS

cv joint/boot repairs question

hi guys,

just wondering...anyone have a rough idea of how much it would cost to go to a shop and get cv joint/boot repaired? BCAA report said "gease leaks". If it makes a diff, it's for a 98 integra.

Thanks
Advertisement
drunkrussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 04:12 PM   #2
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

Thanked 2,253 Times in 626 Posts
the boot repair kit itself is like $60 bucks per boot (comes with new boot, packing grease, and clip retainers for each end of the boot)

as for labour, i would say 1.5-2hrs.

most of the labour goes into actually getting at the cv first. but repairing it might not be possible until you are able to inspect the inside of the cv, basically where the boot was holding in all the grease.

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
!SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 05:33 PM   #3
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

depends how bad the leak is, sometime it's a better idea to do the whole shaft instead .. aftermarket is at around $150 each side (retail at Lordco) and the dealership charge 1.0 hour each side ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL9000 View Post
this is the internet and everyone knows better about what happened sitting behind a desk than the people who are actually involved.
buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 10:49 AM   #4
RS controls my life!

If the joint isn't noisey or causing any vibrations, then i would just go with a boot. If you're going to an independent shop, and not using genuine parts, then i would say pick up a boot kit from napa and bring it to the shop. I find the napa boots a bit softer and more pliable than other aftermarket boots. Closer to oem boots.
If you are replacing the whole shaft, Honda (and i'm sure acrua too) has re-manufactured shaft available for around 200. And Napa carries shafts that includes new (not rebuilt) outer joints
Old 07-11-2009, 10:55 AM   #5
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
For the most part its better just to replace the whole thing. If its ripped or punctured there will be dirt inside and its just not worth the time to repair and then risk shit breaking again down the road. Buy a whole new one and call it done. By the time its all said and done the labor to just replace an axle is cheap instead of the shop having to clean off your old one and put a new boot on and reinstall it.

Berz out.