REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   It's been a year (https://www.revscene.net/forums/582081-its-been-year.html)

Burvs 07-09-2009 07:02 PM

It's been a year

Since I got a lame ticket because the officer felt my seatbelt in my 1985 eldorado wasn't working properly. Well after my mechanic not only told me, but showed me it was working properly I decided to dispute. It's been a year, I know they have like 2 years to get it to court. Is this not the biggest waste of my time, the officers time, and the publics resources? Anyways can I expect to go to court, i have been patiently waiting to see this cops face again. i don't even own the vehicle anymore. My mechanic is still willing to testify though!

wnderinguy 07-09-2009 07:10 PM

Is the Cop even around still?don't they rotate RCMP frequently.

Burvs 07-09-2009 07:17 PM

Not too sure, kinda curious as to why they havn't brought it to court yet.

Five-Oh 07-09-2009 08:35 PM

The court system for traffic court is back logged and it generally takes quite some time before you get your dispute.

You could try calling ICBC or the court registry to see if they have any information for you on when it may be.

johny 07-09-2009 09:31 PM

over a year is normal.

"Is this not the biggest waste of my time, the officers time, and the publics resources"

if it takes 1 day, 1 year, or 5 years before a court date, the resources used would be the same... which is only that day.

zulutango 07-11-2009 07:08 AM

Then you would love some of the small County Police Forces in the US. Get stopped roadside, either pay cash or you are taken before the Judge or held in jail till his next court date....which is usually some time next week. Guess what happens with your speedy trial process there? ....."for all other things, there is Mastercard!"

sebberry 07-11-2009 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zulutango (Post 6503561)
Get stopped roadside, either pay cash or you are taken before the Judge or held in jail till his next court date...."

What's the definition of robbed at gunpoint again? :haha:

stutterr 07-18-2009 11:00 AM

Just another example of how "knowledgeable" these cops are of mechanical devices. Heck if they can't tell the difference between a properly functioning seatbelt, how can they claim to be able to do roadside checks for vehicle safety?

Zulu and Skid will tell you that they have weeks of training to be able to mechanically inspect a vehicle, I beg to differ.

sebberry 07-18-2009 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stutterr (Post 6513137)
Zulu and Skid will tell you that they have weeks of training to be able to mechanically inspect a vehicle, I beg to differ.

Now, now.. we don't know exactly what their work/training history is so these sorts of assumptions shouldn't be made.

However I do agree that if an officer isn't specifically trained in vehicle inspections he shouldn't be handing out tickets or inspection orders unless the vehicle is clearly out of compliance or dangerous.

The number of times I hear about people getting tint tickets for factory green solar glass makes me question what other bogus tickets are issued and how much time is wasted in court, lost wages fighting the ticket, etc...

stutterr 07-18-2009 12:24 PM

Well from reading other posts they get "a few weeks of training" to be able to inspect vehicles and issue tickets for VI. I was being a bit sarcastic...

Bottom line if you can't tell if a seatbelt is functioning, their "weeks of training" is obviously not sufficient.

If they belt was frayed or soemthing I can see that, but they are quite simple devices. Especially on a older model car.

sebberry 07-18-2009 12:50 PM

Obvious visible defects aside, I don't think the roadside is the place to be doing inspections, especially when it involves reaching into the car to check that the seatbelt locks when pulled hard, etc...

stutterr 07-19-2009 10:38 AM

regardless just another example of how uneducated these cops are.

From not know if a seatbelt can function to something as simple as knowing the current rate for an offence, these coppers need to go back to school.

jlenko 07-19-2009 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sebberry (Post 6513180)
Now, now.. we don't know exactly what their work/training history is so these sorts of assumptions shouldn't be made.

You must be new to this forum.. it's the job of most Revscene members with no lives to try and get everyone else's panties into knots. Stutterr is just really good at it...

stutterr 07-20-2009 06:21 PM

ROFL ^^