REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Mobile Phone & Tablet Chat

Mobile Phone & Tablet Chat Need to unlock your phone? Check us out at JP Cellular Repair.
Smatphones, Tablets, Pagers (lol), Accessories, Networks, Services, Tips & Tricks, Download ringtones, Screen savers..

Old 07-10-2009, 05:30 PM   #1
oh you just look so big

Would you notice 3G vs. 3.5G?

So I need a new phone...my effing k850i bit the dust, and I'm back to using my trusty old w810i, but she's getting pretty beaten up.

So...I've kinda narrowed it down to another k850i (as much as I freaking hated mine when it was temperamental and when it died, I loved it when it worked haha, hoping the bugs are worked out now as mine was one of the original ones).

...or a w705. anyways...I mainly text (about 7,500+ a month) and send picture messages, browse the net for news, my email and Facebook (check messages/update status) and send picture/video/voice texts.

Would I notice a significant difference in the 3.5G or will I be happy with just the ol' 3G?
Advertisement
B4N M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 10:02 PM   #2
I bringith the lowerballerith

I don't think it makes a big difference cuz its still the same carrier that's giving u the data but the speed from edge and 3G is big but I don't think 3g and 3.5 will be much noticeable

2005 G35 Coupe - sold
kayceeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 11:53 PM   #3
Chinese Guy, Swedish Rides

It SHOULD be noticeable and you know what? We're not getting those speeds. I'm not even getting full 3G speeds with my E71 (I can do 3.6Mbps). I get about half of full speed. Now that they've launched 3.5G at 7.2Mbps, this really isn't acceptable, right? -_-

'88 245DL Uncle Sven the Swedish Rice Rocket|'95 945T Darth Haul|'82 242GLT B23E Lumpy the Angry Viking|'77 244DL, red/sold|'90 744T C3P-LOL, gold/sold
RS Feedback (46-0-0)
+Kardboard+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 06:18 AM   #4
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,817 Times in 8,191 Posts
In Canada, you'll hardly get half-3G speed with a 3G connection, so I wouldn't worry about it. It will probably never be fast until there are at least 3 or 4 3G companies to choose from.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 07:46 AM   #5
oh you just look so big

Awesome, thanks...I have a 3G phone coming in the mail
Old 07-11-2009, 03:26 PM   #6
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,509 Times in 4,311 Posts
Do you even know what the difference is between 3G and 3.5G?

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 04:29 PM   #7
oh you just look so big

who? me? Not really that's why I'm asking for advice...as far as I know if just gives you faster transfer speeds while browsing the net, and I've been told also when sending picture/vid messages.

All I know is there's a HUGE difference in Internet speed between my non-3G w810i and my 3G k850i.
Old 07-11-2009, 08:12 PM   #8
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,509 Times in 4,311 Posts
3G = 3.5mb downlink speeds (theoretical)
3.5G = 7.2mb downlink speeds (theoretical)

Crash course - 3G radio networks are based on cell breathing/power control. The more users you have on a cell site, the smaller the coverage shrinks, and the less power output you have. Also, the more users there are on a cell site and the more cell sites are in a certain area, you have interference.

Interference is the biggest cause of slow data speeds. Uplink and downlink interference is the biggest enemy on any 3G radio network environment. The number of 3G devices have grown significantly. Having a device capable of 3.5G doesn't necessarily mean you'll get blazing 7.2mb, a device capable of just 3G will probably yield you the same.

If you were to use your 3.5G say at 1am near a cell site, yeah, you might get 4.7mbps to 5.2mbps which realistically, is pretty good. Fewer users + less traffic on a site = better speeds achieved. Hope that helps.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 08:52 PM   #9
oh you just look so big

Sweet thanks...basically it's like throwing a Toyota Echo and a Ferrari Enzo into rush-hour traffic...they'll both be equally slow

I can't wait for my phone to arrive...