REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 07-11-2009, 11:43 AM   #1
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

BREAKING: Lutz says Pontiac G8 to survive as Chevy Caprice in U.S.; Camaro Z28 dead.

Bob Lutz is back, and after what seems like five minutes into his job as GM's new marketing kingpin, he's doing what he does best: making headlines. Rest assured that this is a good thing, as El Generalissimo Roberto Maximo told Automobile Magazine that yes, the Pontiac G8 will live on in the United States as the Chevy Caprice. So much for Fritz "I'm not a fan of rebadging" Henderson's statement to the contrary a couple of weeks ago.

"The last time we looked at [the G8], we decided that we would continue to import it as a Chevrolet. It is kind of too good to waste," Lutz told the mag. As for the G8 being "too good to waste": Amen to that, Bob. This also makes us wonder if law enforcement-grade models will be part of the deal with Holden to continue production. Chevy Caprice police cars? That's got a very familiar ring to it. The next question is whether a U.S. Caprice would mimic the Middle East-market Caprice, which is based on the long-wheelbase Holden Caprice/Statesman, or whether it will simply be a Chevy-badged version of the standard-wheelbase Holden Commodore/Pontiac G8/Chevrolet Lumina. Frankly, as long as there's ultimately a Caprice SS that is identical to the Pontiac G8 GXP in every critical way, we don't care.

In his conversation with Automobile, Lutz also essentially confirms that next year's Cadillac CTS coupe will be joined by a V-series variant, saying that the CTS-V coupe was the car that had most of the Presidential Task Force members' tongues wagging during the product-pipeline tour they were given by GM. Lutz even hints that a CTS-V wagon is not completely out of the question. (We'll take the wagon in brown, with the stick, Bob.)

On the bad news side, in a separate blog post, Automobile reports that Lutz kind of throws dirt on the idea of an LSA-powered Camaro Z28 (though he doesn't specifically state that the program's toast). He says that for "mainstream" sports models like the Camaro, powerful sixes (like the one in the Camaro LS and LT) and turbo fours (like the one used in the now-dead Cobalt SS, HHR SS and Solstice GXP) are more indicitive of the automaker's future direction in that regard. Hmmm. Well then, how about bolting a blower to the direct-injected V6?

Welcome back, Bob. This sounds like it could get pretty fun.
Advertisement
kumbo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 01:33 AM   #2
Banned (ABWS)

rebadge the Pontiac G8 to BMW G8, and the car will sell like rice; all Asian gotta have it to survive.
orange7 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-12-2009, 02:14 AM   #3
?NR
MonoPod 1 of 3

Thanked 1,024 Times in 444 Posts
i actually prefer the Pontiac look over the projected Caprice SS look =/
?NR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 06:45 AM   #4
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,433 Times in 5,107 Posts
The Caprice name does not have a good heritage at ALL.... stupid
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 07:17 AM   #5
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
next cop car!
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 10:54 AM   #6
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,112 Times in 264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kumbo1 View Post

On the bad news side, in a separate blog post, Automobile reports that Lutz kind of throws dirt on the idea of an LSA-powered Camaro Z28 (though he doesn't specifically state that the program's toast). He says that for "mainstream" sports models like the Camaro, powerful sixes (like the one in the Camaro LS and LT) and turbo fours (like the one used in the now-dead Cobalt SS, HHR SS and Solstice GXP) are more indicitive of the automaker's future direction in that regard. Hmmm. Well then, how about bolting a blower to the direct-injected V6?
Good thing there is still Ford and Chrysler willing to make V8's
Volvo-brickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 12:27 PM   #7
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,601 Times in 543 Posts
the G8 looked really good with the Pontiac grille... this looks like any old Chevy...
snowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 08:04 PM   #8
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 7,449 Times in 1,438 Posts

it looks so mercedes
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 09:55 AM   #9
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
maybe the z28 could exist (albeit not as an official trim/model) as parts u can buy from a GM performance parts catalogue?
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 10:43 AM   #10
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
The Caprice name does not have a good heritage at ALL.... stupid
Yeah... no heritage there whatsoever.

I mean, the Caprice was only produced for 31 years.. during which it was known to be the most luxurious (and therefore the most expensive!) model in the Chevrolet full-size car line-up...

No heritage at all.. they should call it Corolla instead.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:24 AM   #11
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlenko View Post

I mean, the Caprice was only produced for 31 years.. during which it was known to be the most luxurious (and therefore the most expensive!) model in the Chevrolet full-size car line-up...

But to most people, they remember it as the stereotypical 70's boat/station wagon. An image that's gonna steer people away from buying it.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:46 AM   #12
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,420 Times in 669 Posts
holy mofos.

I really thought that Bruno's assistant was reporting this. Whew.
shenmecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 11:56 AM   #13
is best wrench

Thanked 1,208 Times in 272 Posts
^ROFL
monkeywrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 11:56 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by !LittleDragon View Post
But to most people, they remember it as the stereotypical 70's boat/station wagon. An image that's gonna steer people away from buying it.
"Most" of those people on here weren't even born in the 70's.
Old 07-13-2009, 12:01 PM   #15
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Lutz is a putz, and Fritz lacks the balls or power to do the right thing.

Quote:

You're talking the days when the a-body was actually ten different cars in three different brands. The Caprice was a Chevy side project, trying to inject some level of luxury in the everyman's brand. The Caprice itself doesn't have the heritage, like the Camaro or Chevelle. Those are cars that jumped at people, not like the Caprice, which should never have existed in the first place. It's concept was Buick, straight up.

Granted, around the 70's things got all messed up. Buick was offering power, Pontiac was offering luxury, and GM was offering weak versions of cars that did have a following.
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 12:02 PM   #16

Quote:
"Most" of those people on here weren't even born in the 70's.
Most people on here have never seen a Ford Pinto either but can tell you what a POS it is... and most people on here don't fall into the demographic that would buy a car like this anyways.
Old 07-13-2009, 12:24 PM   #17
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

pontiac grille looks way better than the chevrolet's

How I wish I can remain ignorant, why do I know so much?
q0192837465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 08:04 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by !LittleDragon View Post
Most people on here have never seen a Ford Pinto either but can tell you what a POS it is... and most people on here don't fall into the demographic that would buy a car like this anyways.
Aside from the 20-something people who died in that 'barbeque on wheels'... what was wrong with the Pinto? They sold more than 2 million of them over 10 years...

My Mum had a Pinto when she was much younger... man, she loved that car. All nice and polished, kinda like people nowadays have love for their Honda Civics and all... There's even some naughty pictures of her on the hood... kinda sick, when I think about it... but I digress.

I can think of many other cars that don't last 10 model years, and sell way less than 2 million. Market share speaks volumes... if anyone cares to listen.

I think that's inherently the problem with Revscene and other ricer forums.... there's this huge misconception about reality. Our collective heads are shoved so far up our fart cannon exhausts, that we've forgotten about the real world.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:06 AM   #19
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,260 Times in 321 Posts
fukin awesome. ill definatley be thinking of adding that cts-v to my household. gona be a sick car.
asahai69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 10:17 AM   #20

Quote:
Aside from the 20-something people who died in that 'barbeque on wheels'... what was wrong with the Pinto? They sold more than 2 million of them over 10 years...

My Mum had a Pinto when she was much younger... man, she loved that car. All nice and polished, kinda like people nowadays have love for their Honda Civics and all... There's even some naughty pictures of her on the hood... kinda sick, when I think about it... but I digress.

I can think of many other cars that don't last 10 model years, and sell way less than 2 million. Market share speaks volumes... if anyone cares to listen.

I think that's inherently the problem with Revscene and other ricer forums.... there's this huge misconception about reality. Our collective heads are shoved so far up our fart cannon exhausts, that we've forgotten about the real world.

Okay... I don't know how you got onto that when I was cited the Ford Pinto as an example of how a bad reputation gets around. I wasn't talking about whether the Pinto or Caprice was a good car or not. Fact of the matter is, once it gains a bad reputation like exploding in a crash, it's as good as done. Even if it's a rare occurance, fewer and fewer car buyers would be willing to take the risk of buying an exploding car.

Now with the Caprice, most people may not remember the era when they were made but they'll probably remember the big honking boat of a station wagon that their parents drove them around in. How many people would buy a car that their parents had? One that they were embarrassed to be seen in so they asked their parents to drop them off 2 blocks away from school? The G8 was a great car and as a Caprice, it's still a great car but with a name that people are trying to forget.
Old 11-12-2009, 11:22 AM   #21
Witness protection

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yopO9vPcOlw
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-12-2009, 11:24 AM   #22
Witness protection

http://chevroletcapriceppv.com/#home

6.0L V8 6spd auto
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
Old 11-12-2009, 12:28 PM   #23
Banned (BBM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by q0192837465 View Post
pontiac grille looks way better than the chevrolet's
indeed

oh well all the same shit
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 01:03 PM   #24
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

looks like a C class to me, and they dont deserve that kind of cop car