REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 07-14-2009, 05:54 PM   #1
I don't get it

Where/what do you guys buy for food and what's your budget like?

So I'm trying to put together a good diet.
I got my protein shake already which should last me about a month

but I'm not sure what to buy for food, well I DO know but I want to make sure I'm not overspending because I can't afford to spend $200 a month just on protein rich food.

So far I've gotten:

1 5lb protein shake which costs $45 with a membership at GNC.
1 kg worth of turkey meat (TONS of slices - according to the label, 2 slices = roughly 10 g, so I've been making turkey sandwiches consisting of 4-5 slices). - $12 at the Canadian Wholesale club.

1 carton of egg whites (equiv to roughlly 16 eggs it says) - $2.38 at superstore

the rest depends on what my parents make since I still live at home.

I've been looking to get 25 g of protein for lunch and dinner at least, and 10-15 per small meals in between + 25 g protein shakes twice a day.

Just wondering where do you guys stock up, WHAT do you guys buy (try to be specific), price, and where do you guys buy em?

thanks in advance
Advertisement
E=mc˛ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 07:28 PM   #2
RS Operative (G)

Thanked 4,566 Times in 1,529 Posts
wal mart has like tuna some times for like .89cents, for the clover leaf stuff. so i buy like cases of that stuff. i mean look around at fliers and if you see a good deal at Safeway on meat or chicken breast stock up, buy a lot and put it in your freezer. superstore has good deal on deli meats and such, just watch out they have been busted over the years for re wrapping meats and such. don't buy organic veggies unless they are cheaper then normal, you pay threw the teeth on that stuff.
hal0g0dv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 08:00 PM   #3
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

i just buy my own food now, usually cost me like 150 a month or under last me pretty much the month

i buy
chick breast (like a box from costco), yogurt(comes in 2's), almonds, fish(just one pack like $16 bucks) , tuna, 12 doz eggs (2), protien bars, veggys, thats about it at least from what i can remember
Alpine50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 08:05 PM   #4
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

not that sodium is bad for you altogether, but keep in mind that processed deli meats are very high in sodium.

Quote:
Originally posted by MelonBoy
ya i brush regularly with calgate or crust
SizzleChest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 08:32 PM   #5
I don't get it

thanks
I'll definitely keep an eye on the flyers.
I totally forgot about tuna, I'll keep an eye on wal-mart if they have $0.89 sale.

Sucks that most of the food won't last long considering how much protein one needs to eat per day excluding supplements :S
The diet plan posted in the opening post of the stickied thread "The End all "How do i Eat?" Thread" looks awesome, but expensive

I guess that's really a small price to pay for a healthier lifestyle. I'm not complaining, just seeing what options I have considering I'm still a student and living at home. (If I worked F/T I won't have a problem with spending $150ish a month on food)
E=mc˛ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 08:35 PM   #6
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

try ironaddicts.com
see what people on there do great website for workout information
or you can try bodybuilding.com
but i'd say use iron
Alpine50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 02:13 PM   #7
Rs has made me the man i am today!

I get organic foods...organic meats...organic eggs...
a bit more expensive but well worth it..
the taste is much better...and i find that i eat less than before cuz the food is more nutritious and satisfying
waddy41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 02:37 PM   #8
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,452 Times in 986 Posts
^depends on waht it is... sometimes its completely unnoticeable imo
unit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 03:15 PM   #9
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

I find the best thing to do is go to a smaller stores that specialize(prob not the right word to use here) in one thing. Like for meat I go to Fraser Valley Meats, for bread and such I go to Mcgavins, for fruit and veggies I go to Kins Market. Then I go to superstore for the miscellaneous stuff. All these stores are within a block here in Chilliwack, but I lucked out with that one. I find I get way better deals this way. At mcgavins they always got this good whole wheat bread and u get 5 loafs for $4.90. The meat store had ground beef at 1.79 a pound, I know ground beef isn't the greatest but it is wat is.

Sometimes Safeway has good deals on meat but Safeway is raising a lot of there prices lately. Save on foods has always been expensive. Superstore is the way to go if u just wanna get er all done in one place, prices are generally %10-50 lower then Safeway and im sure way lower then Save on Foods.
billboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 03:19 PM   #10
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
-costco for fruits (grapes and blue berries shit like that, easy to prep seedless fruits)

-costco for all other things i can get there, yogurts, juices, pre cooked chicken breast in a plastic baggy, bread, whatever else i can find. oh of course, the big ass 5kg of oatmeal that i put in all my supplement powders.

-2000 market beside richmond sushi: for hotpot ingredients, beef slices, pork slices, lamb slices, water cress and bokchoi shit like that, tofu, oh yeah and of course udon noodles. sometimes i pick up more exotic fruits like mangos and bananas here. (yeah I eat hotpot like, a one person sized meal, once or twice a day, usually very simple, just udon, meat slices, and veggies and some fruits after).

-popeyes for all my other supplements: meal replacement powder, protein powder, superpump250, creatine mono, and of course free t-shirts i never wear except around the house hah.

I hate cooking, i don't know how to cook, i hate cleaning up, hence hotpot. i recommend it for anyone who likes hotpot and doesnt know how to cook worth jack, it's so easy, and u only have to cleanup your utensils cuz the hotpot keeps going for up to a week if u refrigerated it every time after it cools down. the only things that go bad are veggies, everything else is eaten or deep frozen until use.

Peanut butter jam sandwitches are good, or if you're lazy like me just stuff bread in your mouth while surfing RS and eat scoops of peanut butter then down a glass of juice and eat some presliced chicken breast. that's another meal right there.

throw in yogurts whenever u feel like u need more protein.

i also have this huge ass block of cheese once in a while i cut a few chunks off and eat it, yeah i know whatever, i don't care, it tastes good. it's got protein hah, just cut off the green parts and it's all good and saran wrap it up after.

i'm trying to find out some other super easy, almost no cook, almost no cleanup (no grease/oil, or very little), meals to eat at home. please input, cuz c'mon, i know a buncha us hate cooking.

as for price, i honestly don't remember cuz I only recently started to eat heavily at home, before i ate out everyday so all i know is im saving a butt load right now and i'll workout the actual details of which places are actually cheaper later on. But I find convenience prioritizes over price. if i can do all my shopping in 1 or 2 stops near my home I don't mind paying slightly more, but then again i live pretty close to costco and superstore.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote