REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Mobile Phone & Tablet Chat

Mobile Phone & Tablet Chat Need to unlock your phone? Check us out at JP Cellular Repair.
Smatphones, Tablets, Pagers (lol), Accessories, Networks, Services, Tips & Tricks, Download ringtones, Screen savers..

Old 07-14-2009, 07:45 PM   #1
My homepage has been set to RS

Phone from Ebay with Telus?

This has probably been answered many times but I couldn't find an answer.

Anyways, if I buy a phone off ebay and its something like a samsung omnia or other smartphone type, do you have to have a data plan just to activate the phone?

Does telus know that it has data capability when you try to activate it and then they don't activate it unless you buy a data plan?

The reason I ask it because it would be great to have a pda combined with a phone but I don't want a phone with internet access.
Advertisement
Old 07-14-2009, 07:47 PM   #2
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Cant be a GSM phone aka sim card
BoostCreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 08:33 PM   #3
Chinese Guy, Swedish Rides

Short answer is no, never, nada. Most phones you find online will be GSM/HSPA, so that's the wrong network type to begin with. If you do find, say, a Bell or Verizon or Sprint or KDDI au phone, Telus won't let it on its network. Might work if it's another Telus phone though, not 100% sure.

'88 245DL Uncle Sven the Swedish Rice Rocket|'95 945T Darth Haul|'82 242GLT B23E Lumpy the Angry Viking|'77 244DL, red/sold|'90 744T C3P-LOL, gold/sold
RS Feedback (46-0-0)
+Kardboard+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 10:30 PM   #4
My homepage has been set to RS

I mean with a CDMA phone.
Can you get those phones "unlocked"? (I have no idea what that means but I assume it means it is good to use with any network)
Old 07-15-2009, 10:41 PM   #5
Chinese Guy, Swedish Rides

Yes, they can be unlocked, but Telus will not allow any phone that isn't theirs on their network. It's not that simple to get even an unlocked CDMA phone on another carrier, requires crazy network engineering kung fu that's probably illegal lol

'88 245DL Uncle Sven the Swedish Rice Rocket|'95 945T Darth Haul|'82 242GLT B23E Lumpy the Angry Viking|'77 244DL, red/sold|'90 744T C3P-LOL, gold/sold
RS Feedback (46-0-0)
+Kardboard+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 01:55 AM   #6
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Save your money...Telus won't allow any non-Telus phone on their network.

CDMA uses ESN/MEID to activate phones onto the network and Telus only activates known ESNs (aka. Telus Phones)

And if you're buying a used Telus phone, make sure it's not a stolen phone, otherwise you have some explaining to do when you call Telus trying to activate a ESN reported stolen.
Eclypz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 10:15 AM   #7
Banned By Establishment

don't do it
racerman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 10:26 AM   #8
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Telus has the samsung omnia.
the most important thing u need to do is check with telus that the ESN number is good to use.

If you activate the phone on your acct, you wont have to have a data plan cus you got the phone yourself.
xlilxjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote