REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Autobody, Lighting, & Structural Tech

Autobody, Lighting, & Structural Tech This forum is brought to you by RPM Electronics in Burnaby.
Discussion about modifying your auotomotive lighting, retrofits, auto body, share projects, ideas, etc.

Old 07-19-2009, 07:47 AM   #1
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Seibon CF hood questions

I just ordered CF hood OEM for my lexus is300 locally. i was wondering how do i tell if its real seibon. Im kind of paranoid since its the first CF im buying and first time im dealing with this company, i just want to make sure that they just didnt take a seibon box and stuffed a generic one in there.
Thanks in advance
Advertisement
2004 Mazda3
1988 Honda CRX Si
2003 Lexus IS300
1993 Toyota Tercel
1998 Honda Accord v6
2008 Mercedes c300
1982 Yamaha Beluga 80cc

--->>>BUILT NOT BOUGHT<<<----
Eg2slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 01:09 PM   #2
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

Thanked 2,253 Times in 626 Posts
should have its logo etched or like imprinted somewhere on the underside of the hood.

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
!SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 08:37 PM   #3
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,420 Times in 669 Posts
yeah, there should be the seibon logo on the underside of the hood. I remember seeing it on some sites cuz i was looking for one for my IS300 too.

Where did you get yours at?
shenmecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 05:36 PM   #4
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,165 Times in 594 Posts
that's not the only thing you should be worry about when buying Seibon.... worry about bad fitment, and shitty clearcoat quality that will have your finish hazing piss yellow after a while. The 2 main forums I visit, G35driver and My350z most people all there dislike Seibon and wonder how it's still in business. A lot of them still purchase Seibon products, but only the ones with proven fitment, and they usually respray a fresh coat of clear over the hood to prevent hazing.

You can't do anything about fitment, but can I suggest that you respray the hood with some proper clearcoat to prevent yellowing in the future. good luck
Old 07-26-2009, 09:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adon View Post
that's not the only thing you should be worry about when buying Seibon.... worry about bad fitment, and shitty clearcoat quality that will have your finish hazing piss yellow after a while. The 2 main forums I visit, G35driver and My350z most people all there dislike Seibon and wonder how it's still in business. A lot of them still purchase Seibon products, but only the ones with proven fitment, and they usually respray a fresh coat of clear over the hood to prevent hazing.

You can't do anything about fitment, but can I suggest that you respray the hood with some proper clearcoat to prevent yellowing in the future. good luck
oh wow, i never knew seibon's product are that horrid.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:39 AM   #6
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adon View Post

thanks for the information. i didnt know that their fitment sucks. i thought they would be good quality since theyre name brand. hopefully i luck out. i got my hood couple days ago, just waiting for the shop to finish with the car so i could put it on. ill also ask them to re spray it.
thanks again.
2004 Mazda3
1988 Honda CRX Si
2003 Lexus IS300
1993 Toyota Tercel
1998 Honda Accord v6
2008 Mercedes c300
1982 Yamaha Beluga 80cc

--->>>BUILT NOT BOUGHT<<<----
Eg2slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 08:50 PM   #7
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

making any hood fit takes a little adjustment. everything from the hinge where the hood attaches, to the rubber spacer/stoppers at the front of the hood. also you can play around with ur fender to make the gapping perfect with the hood, and finally the hood latch can be adjusted as well to have it sitting correctly.

these are all tricks that body shops know and not every aftermarket parts/mechanic shop will know.

seibon's a little hit n miss. some hoods come pretty perfect, some come with horrible air bubbles and possible crack. it all comes down to you get what u paid for. slightly higher quality, go for VIS, but expect to pay anywhere from 100 bucks to 300 more.

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:21 PM   #8

^

good info!
Old 08-18-2009, 08:07 PM   #9
Banned (BBM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by !SG View Post
making any hood fit takes a little adjustment. everything from the hinge where the hood attaches, to the rubber spacer/stoppers at the front of the hood. also you can play around with ur fender to make the gapping perfect with the hood, and finally the hood latch can be adjusted as well to have it sitting correctly.

these are all tricks that body shops know and not every aftermarket parts/mechanic shop will know.

seibon's a little hit n miss. some hoods come pretty perfect, some come with horrible air bubbles and possible crack. it all comes down to you get what u paid for. slightly higher quality, go for VIS, but expect to pay anywhere from 100 bucks to 300 more.
weird im hearing the opposite

others say Seibon quality is more stable than > VIS
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 10:29 AM   #10
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
on accord forums I've noticed that VIS > seibon

most seibon owners complain about hazing after a summer
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 10:44 AM   #11
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

the hazing is actually just the epoxy they use.

there are tones of difference resen sp? materials out there.

you want something that is strong, but not brital, one that has UV protection, yet not so much that its not clear so u cant see the CF.

best thing u can do to ur CF hood is to carnuba wax it as often as possible. another is to get it clear coated by the autobody shop right after you get it. then wax the fucker every time u can. even if u dont wax the rest of the car, wax at least the CF.

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors

This post thanked by:
Old 08-19-2009, 01:25 PM   #12
RS.net Licensed Sponsor

we have VIS. never any problems

210 E 4th at Main
Vancouver BC V5T 1G5
Telephone - 604 879 6288
Email jim@overseas-auto.com
Toll Free - 1 800 665 5031

Text 604-836-7278

http://www.overseas-auto.com
http://www.piaalights.com
http://www.weberjets.com
http://www.brightsourcehid.com

MSN Messenger z5551212@hotmail.com

We take Interac, Cash, Visa, MC, Amex,

Open 8-5 Monday to Friday, 11-1 Saturday

We have been supplying quality accessories, parts, tires, wheels for 51 years.
Overseas Auto1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 03:33 PM   #13
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

these are pics of my well maintained CF kevlar hood that i had on my prelude. went thru 4 full years of all 4 seasons as i kept it on all year round.

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors

Old 08-19-2009, 04:22 PM   #14
Banned (BBM)

u took care the hood but u forgot ur headlights

any rock chips after 4 years?

i find CF chips pretty easily when u do a bit of high driving...
Old 08-19-2009, 06:53 PM   #15
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

this was before i found out of plastx, so thats why the headlights werent polished.

nope, no rock chips that i knew of. no spider webs either.

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors

Old 08-20-2009, 02:42 PM   #16
Banned (BBM)

what brand was that? seibon or VIS?

would you guys recommand applying an extra coat of clear coat from body shop or get those 3M bra and coat it over?

how much to clear coat the CF hood from a bodyshop? would clear coat in a can and just spray it down have similar effect?
Old 08-21-2009, 09:19 AM   #17
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

this hood was from gemini, local, and was carbon kevlar (carbon fibre with a blue kevlar weeve). they dont make hoods anymore, and i sold the hood to a friend before i sold the prelude.

3M bra will turn yellow with age.

go ask a body shop, tell them all ur askig for is a 1 or 2 layers of clear on the cf hood.

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors