REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Manufacturer Tech Forums > Honda / Acura Tech Resources

Honda / Acura Tech Resources All honda & Acura Tech info
THIS ADSPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT

Old 07-20-2009, 01:01 AM   #1
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,543 Times in 840 Posts
Prelude stalling problems

Recently I've purchase a 1991 Prelude SR, and I've changed the Air Filter/Spark Plugs/Engine Oil/Oil Filter.

I tried to change the fuel filter but the damn banjo bolt is torqued on way too tight. Before I changed those things mentioned above, the car was obviously losing power but it did not stall when I come to a stop. Now I am wondering if it's because I didn't/couldn't change the fuel filter that's causing my stalling problem.

Note: The car did not stall one bit when I drove it home from the sellers place. It only stalls now after changing the Air Filter/Spark Plugs/Engine Oil/Oil Filter but not the fuel filter because those bolts are torqued too tight, and probably will need to bring it into a shop for an Air wrench to take care of.

My theory is that now the engine is getting the proper amount of air and the right spark, but it's not receiving enough fuel due the old/clogged fuel filter that's causing the stalling problem.

Any other takes on this guys?
Advertisement
Qmx323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 07:51 PM   #2
2 Wheel'd Mod

are are the spark plugs torqued correctly?
Oh and check the TPS sensor is plugged in. You may have knocked it loose or off when you were changing the filter.
/)__)
-"--"-

http://www.revscene.net/forums/showt...hreadid=417820
!oHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 09:21 PM   #3
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qmx323 View Post
My theory is that now the engine is getting the proper amount of air and the right spark, but it's not receiving enough fuel due the old/clogged fuel filter that's causing the stalling problem.
Changing the air filter and plugs won't be the cause of, lack of fuel. PGMFI would automatically adjust for more fuel if needed. (Which i doubt you're needing more fuel anyways)

does it stall when accelerating/driving/cruising or idling?

Not so sure if plug torque could be the cause. TP sensor disconnected would set the engine light on
Old 07-21-2009, 10:52 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by oHenry View Post
are are the spark plugs torqued correctly?
Oh and check the TPS sensor is plugged in. You may have knocked it loose or off when you were changing the filter.
Yep, the plugs are torqued to Manuals Specs, the check engine light is not on while driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck Luck View Post
does it stall when accelerating/driving/cruising or idling?
It only stalls when I slow down to stop or just to around 10 km/h. Other than that the engine is in fantastic condition. Starts smooth, idles smooth, runs smooth. I did notice that the idle is kinda low when its warmed up, only around 550-600 rpm, could it be the combination of the low Idle speed and the old/clogged fuel filter causing it to stall? Once again, the car did not stall when I drove it back from North Van to Richmond, with all the old plugs and filters.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:55 PM   #5
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,377 Times in 445 Posts
Sounds like a vacuum leak somewhere.
Invisible sky daddies commanding people to do shit is just so beyond retarded, I feel like punching myself in the balls until I shit my computer chair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopstick View Post
4 years ago, I pulled up to burger king, and asked to get a teen burger. I realized after the 3rd time i said it, I was in the wrong fucking place.

(>___<)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_High
[19-10, 22:51] how many post do I need before I can fail TOS'D posts.
Alphamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 04:56 PM   #6
RS controls my life!

along with vac leaks,
i'd be checking for air intake problem. More particulary, the idle valve (EACV) and the idle speed adjustment screw and air passage. Check base idle too.
If that dont work, i'd be checking valve clereances. looking for tight valves
Old 07-23-2009, 10:46 AM   #7
It's like going crazy when you're already nuts

Thanked 2,904 Times in 751 Posts
Clean your IACV.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:50 AM   #8

There's nothing wrong with the idle though, it doesnt even stall when i idle, only when I brake really hard
Old 07-23-2009, 12:44 PM   #9
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

only when you brake? thats a big clue right there.

The brake booster works with engine vacuum, if there is a huge leak in the booster, unmetered air will get into engine causing it to be too lean and thus stalling it out.
lexluthor09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 03:45 PM   #10
RS controls my life!

if the booster's leaking, you'll have no power assist too, and have a hell of a time stopping.

when you rev it up and down in nuetral and let it back down to idle, does it stall?
Old 07-23-2009, 03:49 PM   #11
Banned (ABWS)

Vacuum
Adsdeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 06:50 PM   #12

Quote:
if the booster's leaking, you'll have no power assist too, and have a hell of a time stopping.

when you rev it up and down in nuetral and let it back down to idle, does it stall?
nope, the brakes work fine, pedal pressure is correct and there is no loss of stopping power, and no it doesnt stall when i rev it and let it drop

this is really confusing i hope its not a serious problem. I really wanna get my fuel filter changed and HOPEFULLY that solves this problem lol.
Old 07-24-2009, 02:25 AM   #13

^It's not likely to solve the problem, the symptoms do not point to a faulty/clogged fuel filter. It must have been a hose or something related to PGFMI (or whatever the fuck it's called) that you may have forgot to install or knocked off.
Invisible sky daddies commanding people to do shit is just so beyond retarded, I feel like punching myself in the balls until I shit my computer chair.
Quote:
4 years ago, I pulled up to burger king, and asked to get a teen burger. I realized after the 3rd time i said it, I was in the wrong fucking place.

(>___<)
Quote:
Old 07-24-2009, 05:47 PM   #14
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

has nothing to do with the fuel filter at this moment in time. the stalling is due to a vacuum leak somewhere, and if it is stalling when you brake you should start by checking around the brake booster.

depending on which part is leaking, you can have a vacuum leak in the booster, and not have any pedal problems.
lexluthor09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 10:31 PM   #15
RS controls my life!

simple way to see if its the booster is to pinch off the hose to the booster with vise grips and see if it stalls.

any part of the booster that needs to hold vacuum and leaks while pressing the brake pedal will effect braking assist

Last edited by Puck Luck; 07-24-2009 at 10:53 PM.
Puck Luck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 10:43 AM   #16

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
correctly gapped the plugs?
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 11:35 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by welfare View Post
correctly gapped the plugs?
I'm assuming NGK properly gapped them specifically for the B21A1 engine. Or at least a inline-4 engine, lol
Old 07-25-2009, 12:46 PM   #18

^It's not likely. Save for platinum, you should always check your plugs. Even with platinum, sometimes the gapping can be off which will cause hard start/hesitation/loss of power.
Quote:

(>___<)
Quote:
Old 07-26-2009, 06:19 PM   #19

Quote:
simple way to see if its the booster is to pinch off the hose to the booster with vise grips and see if it stalls.
Yeah I tried it and it actually didn't stall the car lol
Old 07-27-2009, 12:19 AM   #20
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qmx323 View Post
Yeah I tried it and it actually didn't stall the car lol
i meant pinch it off, drive it, hit the brakes hard (or what ever makes it stall) and see if the problem persists
Old 07-28-2009, 12:13 AM   #21

^ Ok, I poked around the engine bay, and to my surprise, there was no fucking battery clamp holding the battery down! I took it off my Accord and stuck it on, before I put the clamp down on the battery, it would seem to press against and probably pinched off some soft hose/tube behind my right headlight on any kind of braking. Now it only stalls when I REALLY stomp on the brakes, as opposed to before when ANY kind of slow-down to a stop would cause her to stall, and I also reassembled the air filter assembly.

Btw: I stomped on the brakes to a stop in 5 instances, all from 60-70 km/h to a dead stop, 1 out of those 5 times caused a stall, the other 4 didn't even cause a hiccup in the idle or engine. Before even a normal stop would stall it. Now could it be a clogged fuel filter?

Last edited by Qmx323; 07-28-2009 at 12:38 AM.
Old 07-28-2009, 04:43 PM   #22

Ok, I bit the bullet and bought an air wrench, and got the old fuel filter out. Now the problem seems to be resolved.