REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   What's the best way to keep neighborhood cats of the car? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/583342-whats-best-way-keep-neighborhood-cats-car.html)

Great68 07-21-2009 03:50 PM

What's the best way to keep neighborhood cats of the car?

So I've been finding cat paw prints on my car every now and then, this morning was the most recent after I just washed the car the other day.

What are good civil solutions I can try to stop this from happening before I am forced to start leaving trays of antifreeze under my car?

Outdoor cats are not fucking pets. As far as I'm concerned everyone who lets their cats roam their neighborhoods free are worthless. They have absolutely no consideration for who's garden their cat is shitting in, or who's car their cat is scratching up.

hk20000 07-21-2009 03:58 PM

it can't be helped anything parked outside is fair game for cats to use as porches and shades.

In the winter when your engine cools down cats LOOOOVE that hood. You never know if it's a pet cat or a stray cat either....

The only realistic solution....? Wax the crap out of the hood and watch the cat slide off it when it tries to get on the car.

Or buy a Ford SportKa
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dzi_8Rscfs

EDIT: too many "it" and I confused myself lol.

Great68 07-21-2009 04:12 PM

Yet if it were a dog that was roaming free and causing damage, animal control would be there in an instant and the owner would be getting a fine.

tgill 07-21-2009 04:44 PM

anyone who considers killing cats with antifreeze is fucked in the head.
frankly having an outdoor cat is normal, and most don't fuck with peoples car, so maybe they just don't like you or your car.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Great68 (Post 6516879)
Yet if it were a dog that was roaming free and causing damage, animal control would be there in an instant and the owner would be getting a fine.

lol a dog is an actual threat, a cat not so much.

ilvtofu 07-21-2009 04:47 PM

bear tarps?

CivicTypeRice 07-21-2009 05:15 PM

BB gun?

shenmecar 07-21-2009 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tgill (Post 6516905)
frankly having an outdoor cat is normal, and most don't fuck with peoples car, so maybe they just don't like you or your car.

lol a dog is an actual threat, a cat not so much.

how would you like it if you found fresh scratch marks on your recently purchased car? Shrug it off?

Volvo-brickster 07-21-2009 05:34 PM

Quote:

anyone who considers killing cats with antifreeze is fucked in the head..

consider me fucked in the head 1,000,000 times over then

hk20000 07-21-2009 05:39 PM

usually cats run around with their claws retracted to cause very little damage to paint.

With that said: How do I keep neighbors' pesky little kids from touching my car? I found many small human handprints on it this morning. Shotgun? Chainsaw? Feed them all with antifreeze?

Great68 07-21-2009 05:46 PM

Quote:

My car is parked in MY driveway. My driveway is MY property. I consider the cat trespassing, and a pest no different than a rat infestation. When they shit in my vegetable garden they pose the same health concerns.

How do we deal with rats in the city? POISON.

Victoria is like cat central. Full of owners too lazy to own a dog or a fully indoor cat they have to clean up after so they just open their door and let it be someone else's problem. It's not fucking right.

GLOW 07-21-2009 05:47 PM

you could try taking a dump or peeing on your car to mark your territory so they'll stay away :)

on a serious note you can probably try looking for cat repellent at like a garden store or something.

shenmecar 07-21-2009 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GLOW (Post 6516977)
you could try taking a dump or peeing on your car to mark your territory so they'll stay away :)

on a serious note you can probably try looking for cat repellent at like a garden store or something.

Im not sure if you can find a dog for sale at a garden store.

Rich Sandor 07-21-2009 06:20 PM

The cat is innocent, don't blame it. How bout we pour anti-freeze down the throat of the assholes who let their cats out stray!!!

As far as deterrent, I don't know. I think it goes back to the owner. If the cat is outside - grab it and call SPCA, and off she goes. If you know the owner, deal with the owner.

asian_XL 07-21-2009 06:34 PM

cats sleep on my car all the fucking time...not sure why, maybe it's the color or something.
I think they like silver cars. Last time they even sleep behind the front bumper near the
radiator. I was like "HOW DA HECK YOU GET IN THERE" and it wagged its tail. It could be
they are looking for a warm place to sleep. Very strange animal.

and no, I don't see any visible scratch on my hood and roof.

orange7 07-21-2009 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asian_XL (Post 6517018)
cats sleep on my car all the fucking time...not sure why, maybe it's the color or something.
I think they like silver cars. Last time they even sleep behind the front bumper near the
radiator. I was like "HOW DA HECK YOU GET IN THERE" and it wagged its tail. It could be
they are looking for a warm place to sleep. Very strange animal.

and no, I don't see any visible scratch on my hood and roof.

pics?

BNR32_Coupe 07-21-2009 07:17 PM

If you're looking to scare pussy away, I'm the man! Just follow these 3 easy steps:

1) Get a video camera to record the next few steps
2) Wait for cat to go on car (put cat food or fish on top of car if you're impatient)
3) Panic button

AVS_Racing 07-21-2009 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BNR32_Coupe (Post 6517052)
If you're looking to scare pussy away, I'm the man! Just follow these 3 easy steps:

2) Wait for cat to go on car (put cat food or fish on top of car if you're impatient)
3) Panic button

oo i like this idea if it doesnt owrk out just bb gun it or paint ball

Great68 07-21-2009 09:14 PM

Quote:

3) Panic button

Hahaha I'm going to have to give that one a try except that I'm going to have to camp out to catch them in the act.

I got one guilty looking bastard good with the hose as he was nearing the property while I was washing the car this evening.

orange7 07-21-2009 11:53 PM

have you tried talking to the cat's owner(s)?

Eclypz 07-22-2009 12:02 AM

Quote:

3) Panic button

Thats a good way to have a cat to scratch up your car as it runs.

Great68 07-22-2009 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orange7 (Post 6517444)

If I knew who the owners were...

There are at least 5 different cats that I see regularly roaming the neighborhood. I have no idea who they belong to.

taylor192 07-22-2009 06:46 AM

Quote:

Anyone that lets their cat roam free is asking for their cat to be killed.

There are bylaws for a reason:
Quote:

7.1 A person who keeps an other animal, or a person who has care, custody or control of an other animal, must not permit, suffer, or allow the other animal to be elsewhere than on his or her property unless it is under the immediate charge and control of a competent person.

taylor192 07-22-2009 06:48 AM

Get a bucket of water or the hose.

Cats hate getting wet and will not return if you soak them good. I had a cat problem, and even unleashing the dog on it didn't deter the cat from coming back. I never saw the cat again after soaking it with a bucket of water, that was not a happy cat.

asian_XL 07-22-2009 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AVS_Racing (Post 6517120)
if it doesnt owrk out just bb gun it or paint ball

do it :thumbsup:

and then post a picture of the dent on your car here.

BNR32_Coupe 07-22-2009 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orange7 (Post 6517444)

you mean using reason to solve problems? AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! :haha: